Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Shieldbase "Retired"?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mtylerjr

mtylerjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

I see on the Nwazet home page that the Netduino Go! Shieldbase module is now "Retired"

http://www.nwazet.com/shieldbase

Last I saw it was still in beta - did it go directly from beta to retired?

Or is this part of going from Beta to Production finally, with a new version being released soon? (or that I missed somewhere?)

#2 James Abbott

James Abbott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, UK

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

I see on the Nwazet home page that the Netduino Go! Shieldbase module is now "Retired"

http://www.nwazet.com/shieldbase

Last I saw it was still in beta - did it go directly from beta to retired?

Or is this part of going from Beta to Production finally, with a new version being released soon? (or that I missed somewhere?)

Hi,

I believe this is a decision made by Nwazet for their website only. As far as I'm aware, Shield Base is still in BETA, and will continue to do so for a while longer.

Fabien would be able to explain the reason behind this decision in more detail - Chris Walker may be able to give you an ETA on when Shield Base may come out of BETA. However, even when the Shield Base comes out of BETA, it would only be a firmware update - the module itself should be production hardware.. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!!)

Cheers.

#3 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Ohhh, this is going to be fun to watch, but in the end we should just remember that both the Secret Labs and the Nwazet products is surrounded with a lot of passion from their developers.

The Shield Base is NOT retiered, however i think Fabien sees the Nwazet Data Acquisition Module as a superior replacement.

I agree, in some cases, and in other cases i completely disagree, but in the end it's Fabien's choice what is sold in the Nwazet Store.

Happy vibes...

:rolleyes:

- Ulrik

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

Hey guys, Individual resellers choose which products they want to offer to their customers from the products which are available to them. Shield Base is production hardware. It's actually a bit nicer than the standard production version since we've been including the upgraded MCU as a thank-you to early adopters. The beta part is the software, and even while in beta it's being used in lots of fun projects. We really appreciate all the feedback we've received so far. The Netduino community is really helping Netduino Go shape up to be an awesome platform. We also really appreciate the passion that [nwazet puts into their projects and their accessories for the Netduino community. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next. Chris

#5 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

I don't have anything to add to what Chris wrote and I believe that we have beaten the "DAQ vs. ShieldBase" horse to death already. Sorry Ulrik, this isn't going to be entertaining to watch after all ;) -Fabien.

#6 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Interesting choice to drop a product. When I shop, I try to consolidate my orders to as few suppliers as possible for saving on shipping (not always based on product price). If I were to order a NGO and wanted a shield base unfortunately I would be ordering from another supplier in this case not splitting the order. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.