Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

bill.french's Content

There have been 260 items by bill.french (Search limited from 26-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#8599 Quad.Net Quadrocopter for .NETMF

Posted by bill.french on 28 January 2011 - 04:22 AM in Project Showcase

Great community we have here.

Is it kind of a weird collision between an incredibly sophisticated language (C#) and development environment (VS), used to build some of the most sophisticated, multi-national, billion-dollar systems in the world, and all the baggage that comes with that sort of thing...

... and trying to get a toy helicopter to fly!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep going! Make it fly!

#7146 LCD Help needed, 16x2s are boring

Posted by bill.french on 06 January 2011 - 02:44 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I might have to get one now that you've done all the hard work :)

LOL I ordered mine yesterday! B)

#6981 LCD Help needed, 16x2s are boring

Posted by bill.french on 04 January 2011 - 01:20 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

so I went out an bought an Arduino UNO.

Wait, did you literally go out somewhere and buy an Arduino? Like, to a bricks and mortar store? Where are these stores???

Besides that, thank you for your work on this. I was just about set on this screen: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10090

...which I might still get, but now having a <$10 option is fantastic.

#7698 NetDuino Quadrocopter

Posted by bill.french on 15 January 2011 - 03:17 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I think 'dones' was just teasing. [For reference, I apparently look about 3-5 years younger than my age as well. On my first driver license, I looked like I was in elementary school still. :)]

Chris

Whoa, after meeting you at Maker Faire, I never would have guessed you were in your 50s!

#7645 NetDuino Quadrocopter

Posted by bill.french on 14 January 2011 - 02:04 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Is this evidence of the "issue" - or is it just a precision issue with the Saleae Logic Probe? Notice the highlighted gaps, which are regularly repeating.

I used this code:
namespace TightLoopTest1
{
    public class Program
    {
        public static void Main()
        {
            OutputPort d2 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D2, false);
            bool status = false;
            while (true)
            {
                status = !status;
                d2.Write(status);
            }

}

}
}

and got this @ 24Mhz:
Posted Image

#6667 Save Custom Settings

Posted by bill.french on 29 December 2010 - 08:15 PM in General Discussion

Yeah, that was a smart idea. If you have a ND+ and never need to leave your local subnet, you could store 4 bytes in your default gateway, maybe?

#8633 FreeRTOS

Posted by bill.french on 28 January 2011 - 07:56 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Quick aside...should we make a "FreeRTOS and C/C++ programming" forum?

I thought something like what the original post said would be clever: "Netduino without a .Net"

#7512 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by bill.french on 12 January 2011 - 02:19 PM in General Discussion

my point is that I think an ND+ could (should?) play the role of the server. I do agree that most of the ND+ should be as bare bones as possible, so blinking an LED is a great starting point.

#7507 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by bill.french on 12 January 2011 - 11:12 AM in General Discussion

I have'mentioned in the my previous reply, we can get the led params from the link. So why do we even need the firewall stuff??
I am realy busy this week so I guess I'll have to wait couple of days more to get hands on..

Vincent

My concern with your link is that it involves using an extra server to store and pass data that is not an netduino -- i think we should keep it as purely about the netduino plus as possible.

#7388 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by bill.french on 10 January 2011 - 01:54 AM in General Discussion

time zones too...

I'm more concerned about firewalls.

#7383 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by bill.french on 10 January 2011 - 12:57 AM in General Discussion

This is an interesting idea! Even if all we did was turn on an LED, and pass it around (Jonny sends a signal to my ND+ which turns on an LED, and I send a signal to Omar's which turns on his LED, etc), and captured it on video, it would be VERY interesting.

This is simple and doable. Sign me up. Pick a date!

#6515 Launching an application from an SD card fails. AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUn...

Posted by bill.french on 25 December 2010 - 02:41 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I would have expected these basic functions to be supported on the netduino.

Am I naive for thinking these functions are almost the polar opposite of basic?

#8907 Anybody interested in a cheap IMU?

Posted by bill.french on 02 February 2011 - 09:10 PM in General Discussion

wiki on IMUs: http://en.wikipedia....easurement_unit

#7462 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by bill.french on 11 January 2011 - 04:06 PM in General Discussion

@bill.french: To access a Netduino behind a firewall check out http://yaler.org/

That is cool -- i think for this project, that might be cheating -- I think we'd need to get an ND+ playing the role of Yaler.

#8922 Steps to restore an Erased Netduino

Posted by bill.french on 03 February 2011 - 01:21 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

3. (**WARNING.. no turning back after this point.) Using a jumper, Connect the 3V3 power header to the ERASE pin (gold pad directly underneath digital pin 0) for about 2-3 seconds. After doing this, disconnect the Netduino from your PC.

5. Run SAM-BA. Select the COM port that your device is connected to. In my case this was COM4. Select AT91SAM7X512-ex from the dropdown.

In case it's helpful:

for step 3, here's a pic of the erase pad on my netduino plus:
Posted Image
and for step 5, did not have AT91SAM7X512-ex, but a -ek, so I picked that and it seemed to work fine.

#4685 Analog Input help...

Posted by bill.french on 08 November 2010 - 11:19 PM in General Discussion

Oz: Are you sure that diagram is right? It doesn't quite make sense to me. Maybe talk me through it? Why isn't aref tied to the 3.3v line?

#4688 Analog Input help...

Posted by bill.french on 08 November 2010 - 11:39 PM in General Discussion

I don't think it works that way, but I really don't know. Why do you have the analog input tied to the adj pin?

#4760 Analog Input help...

Posted by bill.french on 09 November 2010 - 07:31 PM in General Discussion

ok i think I got this right -- i believe the right most pin is the - and the center pin is the +:

Posted Image

Is that about what you're doing, with the multimeter/analog input hooked up after the resistor?

#4753 Analog Input help...

Posted by bill.french on 09 November 2010 - 06:32 PM in General Discussion

Yeah, I don't know then -- using the 5v should be fine. Can you post a picture or a diagram or something? I wish I had one of those sensors to try it out myself.

#4749 Analog Input help...

Posted by bill.french on 09 November 2010 - 06:15 PM in General Discussion

I'm sorry, I don't know. According to this picture:

Posted Image

If your room is 72 degrees F, which is 295 degrees K, you should have a reading of about 2.95V, I think.

When you're measuring with the multimeter, is the netduino involved in the circuit at all? I would start with the netduino out of the picture entirely a focus on getting the right readings on a multimeter, then focus on getting them well below 3.3V to be safe for the analog inputs.

#4762 Analog Input help...

Posted by bill.french on 09 November 2010 - 07:56 PM in General Discussion

and you're not using the far left (adj) pin at all, right?

#4764 Analog Input help...

Posted by bill.french on 09 November 2010 - 08:09 PM in General Discussion

I'm sorry, I don't know, then. I added some to my shopping cart at sparkfun, if I get enough other stuff to make an order I'll try and get one hooked up to see how it works. I also updated my drawing to show a line from 3.3v to aref, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

#4679 Analog Input help...

Posted by bill.french on 08 November 2010 - 10:14 PM in General Discussion

The analog input pins basically work by returning a value between 0-1023 based on the voltage that is on the pin, relative to aref. Aref is the "analog reference" and sets the "ceiling". Typically you'd tie aref to 3.3v - which is it's maximum. Then, if you put 3.3v on the analog pin, you would get a reading of 1023. If you tied the analog input to ground, you'd get a reading of 0v. if you put 1.6v on the analog input, you'd get a reading around 512, or half the range. The analog inputs can handle a max of 3.3v.

Here's a link to some sample code:
analog sample code

In that code, there's a line:
AP0.SetRange(0, 1023);

This is the default, so it effectively doesn't do anything at all; but, if you do:

AP0.SetRange(0, 3300);

...your readings will match roughly with the actual voltage in millivolts. So, if you put 1.6v on the input, you'll get a reading around 1600 instead of 512.

Hopefully this makes sense?

#4778 Analog Input help...

Posted by bill.french on 10 November 2010 - 12:37 AM in General Discussion

Are you talking about the http://fritzing.org/ diagrams? Fritzing is awesome.

#4746 Analog Input help...

Posted by bill.french on 09 November 2010 - 06:04 PM in General Discussion

The analog input only supports 3.3v -- but if I'm reading this right, a reading of 4.88v equates to 488K, which is 419F, which is 215C ... so unless your house is on fire, something else is wrong.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.