Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

bill.french's Content

There have been 260 items by bill.french (Search limited from 03-July 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#5590 Proper LED Circuit

Posted by bill.french on 01 December 2010 - 03:52 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I just attach LEDs to a digital i/o and then a ground pin, but I still need to get a breadboard. Maybe that's not the way with a 10mm one.

You're probably "ok" doing this, but not too many LEDs draw less than 8ma, so you are theoretically risking running outside of the specs and burning out your netduino, if you are using one of the 8ma or 16ma pins. You should probably use some kind of resistor, regardless.

#6433 A project suggestion - for Netduino, Plus, or mini.

Posted by bill.french on 23 December 2010 - 02:24 PM in General Discussion

So, what to do in the interim. I liked the solution of the Anderson RS232/Onewire converter, but you know, how is that really different or much cheaper, than just buying a Arduino to use with the Netduino? But look at the beginner out there, the first thing he reads is he needs to go out and buy an Arduino, after he's made the choice to go with a Netduino !!

From what I've been reading, OneWire is actually really hard. The timings are very precise. Even the Adruino playground references Dr. Anderson's chip as an alternative that "reduces the workload inside the Arduino". Some sort of interrupt or other delay in the middle of it and you're sunk.

Although I might just be trying to justify my purchases to myself. :o

#8552 netduino controlled toy car

Posted by bill.french on 27 January 2011 - 01:26 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

A real Hobby grade ESC will require a PPM wave.

...really? Do you have an example of that. My understanding was that ESCs were no different than servos, as old speed controllers used to be servos. And on gas/nitro vehicles, they still are, as throttle is still servo controlled.

Or am i missing something?

#7340 Analog in put C# coding

Posted by bill.french on 09 January 2011 - 02:40 PM in General Discussion

That's a cool little car. Is this all you're looking for, to test? Hook up 3.3v to aref, and the analog output from the sensor to A5 (plus whatever else the sensor needs, like power and ground), and i think you'll be all set to test.

using System.Text;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using System.Threading;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino;

namespace NDP_SocketSender1
{
    public class Program
    {
        public static void Main()
        {

AnalogInput a5 = new AnalogInput(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A5);

while (true)
            {
                string s = a5.Read().ToString();
                Debug.Print(s);
                Thread.Sleep(100);
            }
        }
    }
}

The above code is from here.

#7216 Use of Static Keyword

Posted by bill.french on 07 January 2011 - 03:53 PM in General Discussion

"static" functions are mostly meant for "helper" functions and functions without side effects.
This is *the* .NET way

What are you basing these statements off of? The first doesn't sound quite right to me, but I really don't know and really would like to learn the right (.net) way.

#7346 Analog in put C# coding

Posted by bill.french on 09 January 2011 - 05:01 PM in General Discussion

I am not sure how much is left after the Netduino have taken it´s share from the regulator.

/Jan Olof

Should be plenty! And yes, debug.print should put stuff in the "output" window -- it should be in the lower left, although you might have to select the "output" tab. I can't remember, I set it up my visual studio layout some time ago, and the settings stick.

#7411 Use of Static Keyword

Posted by bill.french on 10 January 2011 - 12:59 PM in General Discussion

Ever since the beginning of time ... or at least since version 0.9 of .NET, all Microsoft Templates has started out GUI projects with creating an "instance" of your main class.
The statement about "static" functions beeing stateless and without side effects, is a general rule of proper coding style.

I understand what static is. I'm looking more for literature that supports what sounds a lot like your opinion. Based on what you say, if I have a function that I want only ever want one instance of, unless it's a helper function or without side effects, I should not make it static -- that doesn't quite sit well with my gut, but I really don't know.

Concerning your gui / java example, I (think I) know the templates were that way because they *had* to be, since main has to be static (there can be only one) and you can't call non-static functions or whatever.

"rules of proper coding style" -- where are these rules? I've used static classes to specifically deal with certain state issues.

As I'm writing this, it seems combative, but I really want to understand.

#7461 Use of Static Keyword

Posted by bill.french on 11 January 2011 - 04:03 PM in General Discussion

Cool, thanks, Chris. This is somewhat related: is there a "cheat sheet" anyone likes on styling code? Stuff like when to use camel case, lower case, etc, for methods, properties, classes, etc? ... and also, what's the current philosophy on namespaces?

#7453 Use of Static Keyword

Posted by bill.french on 11 January 2011 - 02:07 PM in General Discussion

Very cool, thank you all -- sorry to hijack. I wish this were a separate thread!

#6496 Netduino Firmware v4.1.0 (update 6) BETA 1

Posted by bill.french on 24 December 2010 - 07:12 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

to release v1.0 of my Fluent Interop stuff by the end of this weekend.

I was wondering what you've been up to!

#7348 Analog in put C# coding

Posted by bill.french on 09 January 2011 - 06:32 PM in General Discussion

the line with the a5.read, I convert to a string, I believe it normally returns a number, so if you did something like:

int i = a5.read();
if (i > 20)
{
// do whatever
}

If you want to get the analog readings in mV, search the forums for "setrange".

#6498 Netduino Firmware v4.1.0 (update 6) BETA 1

Posted by bill.french on 24 December 2010 - 08:28 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I can't tell you how excited I am.

For the love of God, man, don't reply to me! Get back to work!

#7337 Problem with Analog Input

Posted by bill.french on 09 January 2011 - 01:46 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

cwbhx: here's a thread with a diagram including a potentiometer, if it's helpful.

#5008 Digital spirit-level, which sensor?

Posted by bill.french on 17 November 2010 - 04:22 PM in General Discussion

Accelerometers generally should detect gravity as acceleration.

#4361 Netduino at PDC 2010 (or watch online)...

Posted by bill.french on 30 October 2010 - 12:37 AM in General Discussion

Thanks, Raven, for the link. I love this stuff!

#6665 RFID Reader Opinions

Posted by bill.french on 29 December 2010 - 08:04 PM in General Discussion

What kind of distance are you looking for? I've worked with some rfid stuff a bit, but none of this stuff. These look interesting in the sense that they have a simple looking antennae that might be easy to modify: http://www.seeedstud...rd=rfid&x=0&y=0

#4356 Netduino at PDC 2010 (or watch online)...

Posted by bill.french on 29 October 2010 - 11:04 PM in General Discussion

managed to miss the whole thing... ugh, anyone have a link yet??

#5796 Anyone have a clever hex->byte conversion routine?

Posted by bill.french on 06 December 2010 - 02:58 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

it doesn't appear that netmf supports int.Parse(hexValue, System.Globalization.NumberStyles.HexNumber); .. so does anyone have a clever hex to byte (or int or whatever) conversion routine handy, so that if I feed it the string "ff" it returns the number 255 in some form? Thanks!!

#5877 Netduino + SQL client (maybe System.Data.SqlClient)??

Posted by bill.french on 07 December 2010 - 08:23 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I can't imagine sqlclient making it into the firmware... You could easily log to sql using an asp.net app or a forms app, you could look here for maybe a starting point: http://forums.netdui...ch__1#entry4637

#5956 Anyone have a clever hex->byte conversion routine?

Posted by bill.french on 10 December 2010 - 02:02 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

What namespace is that under? I'm thinking the netduino does not support Convert.ToInt32?

#6821 Etched my first shield PCB...

Posted by bill.french on 02 January 2011 - 05:52 AM in Project Showcase

Starting with Fritzing and using the toner transfer method, I've gotten my sous vide project a lot more physically solid on its own PCB. I've also added some headers for an LCD screen and buttons for the future.

In case it inspires someone to try etching their own boards, here are some pics:

1. Breadboard in Fritzing:
Posted Image

2. PCB in Fritzing:
Posted Image

3. PCB with toner, pre-etching, with some sharpie touch-ups (this is actually an older layout, but I forgot to take pics of the new layout)
Posted Image

4. Etched and tinned:
Posted Image

5. IC Side of the board:
Posted Image

#6831 Etched my first shield PCB...

Posted by bill.french on 02 January 2011 - 03:30 PM in Project Showcase

I switched to the resist-etch positive exposure method.

Any links you've found useful? Sources on the boards you like?

#5960 Anyone have a clever hex->byte conversion routine?

Posted by bill.french on 10 December 2010 - 03:01 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I tried really hard to be clever and this is what I came up with:

public static byte[] GetByteArray(string s)
        {
            return System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(s);
        }
        public static byte GetByteFromHex(string s)
        {
            return GetByteFromHex(GetByteArray(s));
        }
        public static byte GetByteFromHex(byte[] ba)
        {
            return (byte)((((ba[0] > 96) ? ba[0] - 87 : ba[0] - 48) * 16) + ((ba[1] > 96) ? ba[1] - 87 : ba[1] - 48));
        }

#3146 POE?

Posted by bill.french on 29 September 2010 - 01:00 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

linksys 5v poe

This injector puts in 48v but spits out 5v.

#5931 Netduino + SQL client (maybe System.Data.SqlClient)??

Posted by bill.french on 09 December 2010 - 02:34 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

$query="insert into tablename values('.$url1', '".$url2"', '".$url3"');";

I can't help but mention the risk of sql injection attacks -- unless i'm misunderstanding how php works, this appears ripe for that sort of exploit. Not that there's much risk when messing around with a netduino, i think establishing good habits regarding injection attacks early on before bad habits take hold are really important.

Here's some info in regards to php:
http://stackoverflow...njection-in-php

... and my favorite sql injection attack:
Posted Image

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.