hanzibal's Content - Netduino Forums - Page 14

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

hanzibal's Content

There have been 386 items by hanzibal (Search limited from 05-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#49850 Running out of I/Os

Posted by hanzibal on 23 May 2013 - 06:41 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi!

The above SX1509 BOB from Sparkfun still stands tall I think, but there are lots of cheaper solutions as well.

It all depends on your requirements:

Do you need analogue, digital or both?

Have many pins / channels do you need?

Do you need input, output or both?

Need interrupts on input pins?

I recently came across the PCF8574 which is a quasi bi-directional I2C controlled digital only 8 bit I/O expander with interrupt capabilities. It's really simple to use, very general purpose and I've written a generic driver class for it and an I2C bus manager.

You can find the code in this post where I use it to drive a 16x2 character LCD in 4 bit parallel mode:

http://forums.netdui...-and-ir-remote/

#49843 Does any one would like to buy a more powerful STM32F407 MF board?

Posted by hanzibal on 23 May 2013 - 04:17 PM in General Discussion

hi,hanzibal,yes,i had done for ethernet,nand flash,nor flash,tft,sram,sdio porting,i will upload the sample board's pics if there are really many people want to buy it,other drivers such as CAN,DCMI I2S will be ported after i take my naturalization test in June....and may i ask you whats the price you would think is ok for you?

great job there! Frankly, this is not for me, I already have hardware laying around to keep me busy for at least a decade.

#49829 Does any one would like to buy a more powerful STM32F407 MF board?

Posted by hanzibal on 23 May 2013 - 01:09 PM in General Discussion

Sounds like a really nice board but 200$ is substantial and I think you have to show a working port or people cannot be certain of what they're getting. Also, you will need pictures, lot's of pictures  :) I realize it's kind of a chicken and egg problem.

...or are you saying you've done the port already and got the peripherals working too?

Then I'm really impressed!

#49820 Mayhew Labs MuxShield and TI 74HC4067

Posted by hanzibal on 23 May 2013 - 10:42 AM in Project Showcase

I could, but I don't own a NP2 (only an NP) and would probably only use it in trying to help you out so I thought I'll use the bare chip instead.

Didn't find one in my junk box so I ordered a couple of SO24s but by the time I get them, perhaps you'll already solved the problem your self.

We'll see.

#49815 Netduino Plus 2 Web Server

Posted by hanzibal on 23 May 2013 - 09:03 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

It is this code snippet (taken from your code above) that I'm referring to:

Dim bytesReceived As Integer = clientSocket.AvailableIf bytesReceived > 0 Then...

Now, I'm not sure about how this works in the .NETMF (and Netduino) world, but in a Windows environment, clientSocket.Available would only contain the part of the data that is immediately available.

That is, clientSocket.Available does not necessarily contain the full request data (headers and such) but only some initial part of the data that has been pre-read for you by the framework at the point in time at which your listener receives the incoming request. The rest of the data you must read yourself by calling the corresponding read method on the socket. You can see clientSocket.Available as being a read-ahead buffer.

This means, that just because clientSocket.Available is zero, that does not mean that there's no request. I believe that clientSocket.Available would typically be more likely of be non-zero for requests coming from a LAN than from a WAN since the LAN would be faster. This could explain the issues your having with this.

I have a really hard time believing a h/w flaw is causing the problems you're experiencing.

#49794 Serial to SD -- Need Fast Writing

Posted by hanzibal on 22 May 2013 - 07:32 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I don't recall what the standard blocksize is but if it normally is less than what you typically write, then the speed increase would make sense as you basically would only have to make one hop through the linked list or whatever FAT32 uses to keep track of the multiple parts that files consist of. If I'm not mistaken, FAT uses an initial table of contents with file names etc and a pointer to the first block of each file which in turn points to the next and so forth like a linked list. Jumping around the blocks would obviously take longer than just writing to or reading from a single byte stream. I argued that the FS itself introduces a significant overhead that raw writes wouldn't. I've seen an Arduino play a music video on a Nokia 5110 LCD and that was only made possible using raw reads from the SD and a streamlined home brew file format where bits of video and music was interleaved.

#49767 Software reset

Posted by hanzibal on 22 May 2013 - 09:52 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Great I saw this post, I didn't know how to provoke a reboot from software.

The code you attached before would restart the device repeatedly between 10:00 and 11:00 AM, effectively rendering it unusable during that time. Am I right?

Personally, I think there's no such thing as a software watchdog. You can't write software to check if another piece of software has locked up. If I remember correctly it's one of those NP complete problems within the theories of complexity. :)

#49759 My daydream - FPGA/ARM platform

Posted by hanzibal on 22 May 2013 - 07:08 AM in General Discussion

Did you find anyone with decent shipping?, If I order from cypress, it's $35 for an $25 device.. 

Not really but I ordered some other stuff too and broke the free shipping limit at Mouser.

#49758 My daydream - FPGA/ARM platform

Posted by hanzibal on 22 May 2013 - 07:06 AM in General Discussion

Indeed,everytime I read the VHDL code,I feels like I'm reading a netlist of a PCB....

Try opening an Eagle schematics file in Notepad. Practically the same thing.

Maybe I just made a great discovery: Simply rename from .sch to .vhdl and voilá!

:D

#49742 My daydream - FPGA/ARM platform

Posted by hanzibal on 22 May 2013 - 01:16 AM in General Discussion

I have a TI watch laying in its box somewhere inside a bigger box. I'm a softie by profession but always loved the interaction with hardware. Trying to make complicated hardware look and feel simple is a really fun challange. A problem I have is that whenever I get an idea (and I constantly do), I pursue it with great frenzy but when I get to the point of actually having etsablished a proof of concept, I sometimes loose interest since I can pretty much imagine the rest. With certain things I don't see all that big a difference between stuff in my imagination and that of the real world. Don't get me wrong now, I'm not hearing voices or anything :-) Work is a game of wrestling with matter, trying to force it into the structures I've imagined, sometimes I win and sometimes matter does. When it comes to this dream project of mine, I don't have a proof of concept yet but given recent info, I'm starting to imagining it :-)

I guess I'm saying that I know my self only too well, I'm quite good at getting passed mid way. But then of course, there are others who are very good at finishing and that's probably why they invented teams.

#49684 Mayhew Labs MuxShield and TI 74HC4067

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 02:47 PM in Project Showcase

I'll see if I got one of those multiplexers in my junk box, if so I'll try the driver with an NP I got in there too.

Eric said for the shield to be "100% Netduino compatible with no flaws" but unfortunately, this does not seem to go for the driver class unless only tested for something else than a regular N or NP.

#49677 Serial to SD -- Need Fast Writing

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 01:39 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

.... though I don't know how netmf will feel about it, or even if the spi the sd is on will be reachable....

Oops, didn't think of that, might be a problem.

With the mini I always use a simple SD card holder breakout on the regular SPI port.

#49662 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 12:22 PM in General Discussion

I should expect so and hopefully even runs NETMF !

...and it really was a time machine!

#49659 My daydream - FPGA/ARM platform

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 12:17 PM in General Discussion

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]@cutlass: Now that SL released their smartwatch, shall we join in realizing my daydream? [/color] :rolleyes: 

I've actually been working on a similar thing on and off for some time now. It has a lot of potential but the road is still long.

#49655 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 12:09 PM in General Discussion

I must say, I never expect a smartwatch - I was so wrong, so very wrong!

I didn't. Backed. :-)

How much?

#49653 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 12:06 PM in General Discussion

Looks sweet, don't know what it can do but still only a question of how much I should place!

#49648 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 12:01 PM in General Discussion

Yes, where is it?

#49646 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 11:59 AM in General Discussion

I actually edited the post on 1:57 but that doesn't show...I initally wrote 4 minutes, but you beat me to that  :D

#49644 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 11:56 AM in General Discussion

No, its 3 minutes  :P

#49639 New Netduino on its way? (cryptic homepage)

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 10:24 AM in General Discussion

UTC+0 for your convenience:

http://www.worldtime...ime_in_UTC.aspx

#49638 Serial to SD -- Need Fast Writing

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 09:11 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Managing FAT32 adds a lot of overhead. You could try using the SD card in raw mode without a file system. 

Of course, you can't use the regular NETMF functions for this, instead you have to treat the SD card like the SPI slave device that it is. You'd also have to use a special PC app to extract the data from the SD.

I know Nwazet has a data acquisition module called DAQ and I think they use their own FAT32 implementation for that. Perhaps you could look into the underlaying implementation of that and find some code for doing raw SD card writing:

http://nwazet.com/co...Q/10-FileSystem

If not, there ought to be some Arduino code for this that you could port.

#49636 New Netduino on its way? (cryptic homepage)

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 08:29 AM in General Discussion

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;]@cutlass: Given the short time in which SL went from Atmel to ST, I wouldn't rule out a whole new architecture.[/color]

Don't forget, working passionately for fame and glory is far more efficient than just working for money. With the help of the many talented guys here on the forum, development time can be drastically shortened - like as if you had a time machine   ;)

it is simple really, I think this will be a multi core or multi processor board

time machine to the future  :)

Sounds plausible!

#49634 My daydream - FPGA/ARM platform

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 07:25 AM in General Discussion

cutlass, you obviously know tons about this stuff and I'd love to discuss it further.

I find this tech very exciting and I have to look into the info you supplied.

#49626 My daydream - FPGA/ARM platform

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 02:28 AM in General Discussion

Sort of, I was thinking of something like that but more in a general sense than a specific device or vendor. I recently ordered a Cypress PSoC 4 demo board and a PSoC 1 dev kit to explore that magic tech:
http://www.cypress.c...9&source=header

#49615 How use MuxShield.MuxMode.DigitalInput

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 11:05 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Please refrain from duplicate posts, you already have this one going:

http://forums.netdui...067/#entry49614

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.