Does any one would like to buy a more powerful STM32F407 MF board? - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Does any one would like to buy a more powerful STM32F407 MF board?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 weixiongmei

weixiongmei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

Does any one would like to buy a more [color=rgb(255,0,0);]powerful STM32F407(176pins)[/color] .net micro framework development board?

i have designed a development board thats alike to the netduino go,but it has [color=rgb(255,0,0);]more funtions and more performance[/color],such as [color=rgb(255,0,0);]DM9000 ethernet connected to the ETH interface [/color]so the ethernet will be [color=rgb(255,0,0);]much faster than connected to the SPI[/color],and a [color=rgb(255,0,0);]fsmc 3.5 TFT lcd with WPF supported and its much faster than connected to SPI too[/color],[color=rgb(255,0,0);]FSMC 1Gbit on board Nand Flash[/color],[color=rgb(255,0,0);]FSMC 16Mbit on board Nor Flash[/color],[color=rgb(255,0,0);]FSMC 8Mbit of SRAM[/color],and SDIO supported,[color=rgb(255,0,0);]supports up to 32G of sd cards[/color],and [color=rgb(255,0,0);]SDIO faster than the SPI SD[/color]~~~[color=rgb(255,0,0);]it cost about $150-$200[/color],it will [color=rgb(255,0,0);]much cheaper if there are more people going to buy it[/color],and [color=rgb(255,0,0);]all the the hardwares above are inclued in the price[/color],if there are enougth people would like to buy it,then i will go to production,other wise i will just use it by my selft,because im a student,i dont have too much money to waste~~[color=rgb(255,0,0);]thanks for reading[/color]

#2 Bi Qin

Bi Qin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

So,you've already done the NETMF porting job for your board?

#3 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

sounds like the stuff  http://www.wvshare.com offers. (except they dont offer netmf, and netmf Drivers for their modules)

#4 weixiongmei

weixiongmei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Bi Qin,yes,im done for the porting already....

NooM,i didnt ported the .net micro framework base on the wvshare boards,the hardwares are alike(well,almost all the stm32 development boards are copy each others,so......),but my design is smaller than the wvshare's boards,its a 10cm * 10cm mother board and the core board is 6.75 CM * 4.0CM(SODIMM) with all the pins break out.....its looks like the netduino go,i designed my board like that,connect the modules to the sockets on the mother board,but the Nand,Nor,and SRAM are on the core board,because they i want to make then run more faster,and there is also a "stamp board" design can solder it on the customers PCBs(something like the Gadgeteer)....

#5 Bi Qin

Bi Qin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Good job!

I would like to buy such a board when available.

If the price can be lower would be better :rolleyes:,as $200 is already enough for a i.MX6 dev board(sabre lite),

#6 weixiongmei

weixiongmei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

[color=rgb(255,0,0);]thanks for hear that from you Bi Qin.[/color]

the price is depends on the amount of production,if there are pople to invest me or there are more people to buy it the price will be going much cheaper,it can be up to 50% cheaper than a small amount of production,im planning to port the

the .net mf to a Amtel SAMA5D3 for more funtions and performance and even cheaper than using the STM32,But unfortunately i dont have a creadit card to buy a development board from the resellers,because they dont accept the paypal....

#7 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Sounds like a really nice board but 200$ is substantial and I think you have to show a working port or people cannot be certain of what they're getting. Also, you will need pictures, lot's of pictures  :) I realize it's kind of a chicken and egg problem.

...or are you saying you've done the port already and got the peripherals working too?

Then I'm really impressed!

#8 weixiongmei

weixiongmei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

hi,hanzibal,yes,i had done for ethernet,nand flash,nor flash,tft,sram,sdio porting,i will upload the sample board's pics if there are really many people want to buy it,other drivers such as CAN,DCMI I2S will be ported after i take my naturalization test in June....and may i ask you whats the price you would think is ok for you?

#9 Bi Qin

Bi Qin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Infact $150 is OK for me.

But to get more people to support a mass production,I think price  around $100 may be more acceptable.

#10 ziggurat29

ziggurat29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

i really wish folks would use the 415/417 instead -- the processor is only cents more, and has hardware crypto, and is a drop in replacement for the 405/407 (I actually replaced one on my dead NP2 with a 415, though I havent gotten around to firmware yet).  better yet, the 439 for the SHA2 and GCM, but I don't think its a drop-in compatible.

#11 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

hi,hanzibal,yes,i had done for ethernet,nand flash,nor flash,tft,sram,sdio porting,i will upload the sample board's pics if there are really many people want to buy it,other drivers such as CAN,DCMI I2S will be ported after i take my naturalization test in June....and may i ask you whats the price you would think is ok for you?

great job there! Frankly, this is not for me, I already have hardware laying around to keep me busy for at least a decade.

#12 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

I already have hardware laying around to keep me busy for at least a decade.

Too many projects, too little time....

I'm in the same boat.

Regards,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#13 weixiongmei

weixiongmei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

hi,ziggurat29,the stm32F40X and the stm32F41X almost the same,if you use the .net micro framework for them,many funtions are not available

at this time,so it doesnt matter what the MCU is at least for now,and the stm32F439 the price is too height and not released to the market yet,i think not that many people are going to use it for production befor the price drop~~

#14 ziggurat29

ziggurat29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

hi,ziggurat29,the stm32F40X and the stm32F41X almost the same,if you use the .net micro framework for them,many funtions are not available...

not sure what that means, I rebrained one of my NP2 with a  F415 and it works quite well.  But yes you need firmware support to expose the crypto to the user.  But you weren't talking about firmware right?  And I got the 415 for 50c more than a 405 in unit quantities at mouser.  Since this is not a user-serviceable part, why not put on the better one?

While I'm on the sandbox, its also pity that the hardware RNG is not exposed since all the chips have that (and coincidentally someone was just today trying to manually make a noise source to implement a hardware RNG), but that is a firmware issue and admittedly not germane to your original post.

...stm32F439 the price is too height and not released to the market yet,i think not that many people are going to use it for production befor the price drop~~

is it not out yet?  anyway, yes it is a higher end one, so I retract that suggestion (unless you want the higher end stuff).  I was merely coveting the better crypto modes.

Now, if they just would make one that had:

*  on-chip secure storage of keys (e.g. write-only, and preferably metal-over sensitive bits)

*  RSA acceleration

then the world would truly be a better place.  Until then please do consider splurging on the 50 c for a 417 to make it nice for the people.  or at least the cryppies.

#15 weixiongmei

weixiongmei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

ok,thanks for your good opinions ziggurat29,i will upgrade it to STM32F417,but would you buy it if it needs at least $150?

#16 ziggurat29

ziggurat29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

ok,thanks for your good opinions ziggurat29,i will upgrade it to STM32F417,but would you buy it if it needs at least $150?

Hmm.  Well, how much was it with a 407?  haha.

OK, I think the real question is:  'what is the value of the 417 versus the 407', and I think there are two answers to that, one from the customer side, and one from the vendor side.

From the customer side I would pay $5-7 more for a board with a 417 that also had firmware support.  I might consider it even without firmware support if it was pitched effectively that such could happen somehow at sometime, rather than my having to buy an new board to get it.

From a vendor side, I would ask 'how much market am I alienating by not supporting a feature, and how much market share can I gain touting this as a differentiating capability relative to my (many) competitors, regardless of whether anyone actually uses it or not'.  Because, as we've establish, the cost to the vendor of the feature per board is smaller than the cost of your power jack.

Selling hardware is hard - I guess that's partly why its called hardware?  no?  Well, anyway, much like anything else, you are competing and you want to convince people your ice cubes are colder than anyone else's...

#17 weixiongmei

weixiongmei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

i think the Stm32f417 will cost at least $3 more than stm32f407 when buying a small amount,the price can drops to $50-$100,but in my case,its hard to drops it to that low,because i dont have that much money to make a 1000 kits of boards for production,and other thing is,in my designs,i had already did some thing for not buying a full new development kit for upgrading the hardwares in the future,for examle,you bought a development kit thats using a stm32F407,and when the stm32f417 released,you dont have to throught them away and buy a buch of new hardwares for upgrading,all you have to do is keep the mother board all the modules that compatible to the old mother board,an just buy a stm32f417 core board

(if the stm32f417 is cost $10,then the core board will be only $15) and plug it to the old mother board,and every things done,its that easy for going to a new chip....and this is the reason why i designed it in modules....

#18 ziggurat29

ziggurat29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:42 AM

OK fine.

http://www.mouser.co...KYHK4Hup7sWXRu9

quantity 1, $13.29

http://www.mouser.co...KYHK5GPPWWCIYmz

quantity 1, $12.78

13.29 - 12.78 = 0.51

#19 weixiongmei

weixiongmei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:22 AM

ziggurat29,the prices for both chip are already increaded about $5....

#20 Cuno

Cuno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationZürich / Switzerland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hi weixiongmei

I like your bold project, and that you already have extended the NETMF port for this hardware. Did you use our NETMF for STM32 port as basis, or one of its derivatives?

I'd buy a board for $150.

It would be great if you could use an STM32F437. It seems to be in "active" status. But you'd need to wait a couple of weeks for the second iteration of the device, as the first samples seem to have critical bugs. So it would certainly be more prudent to go with the 417 or 407 at first.

PS

Did you also ask on the GHI Electronics forum?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.