Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

ItsDan's Content

There have been 71 items by ItsDan (Search limited from 17-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#20414 Pan/Tile mechanism advice

Posted by ItsDan on 09 November 2011 - 03:20 PM in General Discussion

Stepper motors I would think would be enough, they come in a variety of step increments, and some can half-step, doubling their resolution. Fluid/silent motion means you want good bearings for any moving parts, and you want to make sure you ramp up/down your movement, probably just in software. You may want to use a belt between the motor and motion assembly and not direct drive it to help smooth it out more.

#17370 Saving Power on the Netduino

Posted by ItsDan on 01 September 2011 - 03:27 AM in General Discussion

A real time clock such as this: http://www.sparkfun....ards/DS3234.pdf has programmable alarms which can trigger the previous switch I posted to turn on.

#17369 Saving Power on the Netduino

Posted by ItsDan on 01 September 2011 - 02:57 AM in General Discussion

http://www.pololu.co...log/product/751 This product lets you switch a higher load, and lets the higher load turn itself off as well. This could be used to let the Netduino turn itself off after it had performed whatever task you need it to perform.

#26677 Facebook API

Posted by ItsDan on 07 April 2012 - 12:03 PM in General Discussion

Agreed, as someone who just wrote a facebook app, you're much better off using something where you can use one of their SDK's. Write a proxy service that your netduino can communicate with.

#25183 Smooth acceleration and deceleration of a stepper motor

Posted by ItsDan on 07 March 2012 - 03:55 PM in General Discussion

Depending on what you mean by smooth, a sine curve is really one of the simplest ways to model any kind of non-linear change in a value.

#27941 Do all Go modules have the STM8S IC chip on them

Posted by ItsDan on 23 April 2012 - 12:19 PM in Netduino Go

It has been indicated that the STM8 family will have a soon-to-be-available standard firmware so most module builders won't need to write any C level code. While many other microprocessors will work, you may be on your own to adapt the firmware.

#30480 3x4 Keypad Module

Posted by ItsDan on 10 June 2012 - 04:03 AM in Netduino Go

Not until they exist unfortunately. That's not my rule, it's a conservation of matter type thing. Arron and I are prepping for the "grand opening" of his storefront (http://variablelabs.com/) which will carry the Protomodule we collaborated on. I suspect the keypad module will be the next one we collaborate on.

#16631 New Arduino

Posted by ItsDan on 11 August 2011 - 02:16 PM in General Discussion

I don't believe it supports PoE natively, but there are some simple splitter devices which split an incoming ethernet line into ethernet and a barrel jack.

#18016 GPRS Nanny Cam

Posted by ItsDan on 14 September 2011 - 10:08 PM in General Discussion

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9607 Something like this?

#30216 3x4 Keypad Module

Posted by ItsDan on 05 June 2012 - 05:48 AM in Netduino Go

Finally got a working prototype on a 12 button keypad module, using a production Protomodule and one of Matt Isenhower's beautiful 4 digit displays. I don't explain anything in the video but there's 2 demo modes, one simply appends the most recent key to the right of the display, the second mode demonstrates multiple keypresses being detected at once. Throw in a relay module and you could make a simple door entry system with your Go.

#21411 Forum topics color

Posted by ItsDan on 06 December 2011 - 09:27 PM in General Discussion

I like the colors.

#15922 Measures "jumping"?

Posted by ItsDan on 26 July 2011 - 02:48 PM in General Discussion

There's a good chance that variation is within the precision of the sensor and you won't eliminate it without a more expensive/precise sensor. However what you can do is round the value, or filter it, of which I'd suggest the latter. Make the outputted reading an average of the last 10 readings, see where that gets you.

#30597 Module Firmware

Posted by ItsDan on 12 June 2012 - 06:24 PM in Netduino Go

http://wiki.netduino...le-RGB-LED.ashx If you look under 'attachments' in the top right the .net drivers and firmware are there. A standard firmware is forthcoming. The Protomodule is now on sale at http://variablelabs.com.

#19702 Smoke machine control

Posted by ItsDan on 24 October 2011 - 03:40 PM in Project Showcase

I control a smoke machine for my halloween display, I use a small relay which can flip an AC circuit, but I'm not using an arduino to power it (it's powered off a 12v relay board connected to a PC. If you're fog machine is like all the ones I've seen, it's simply running the 120v line voltage to the remote and back if you press the switch. It's not a lower trigger voltage to control a relay in the machine itself. Because it's controlling a motor/pump I'd get a more hefty relay that can handle more current than the one you picked out to handle spikes if they occur.

#20386 RS485

Posted by ItsDan on 08 November 2011 - 07:03 PM in General Discussion

Long term you could look into using a set of XBee chips to send the information back, either to another netduino which could log or directly to a pc.

#18143 Halloween - Pneumatic Popup Skeleton

Posted by ItsDan on 18 September 2011 - 01:31 PM in Project Showcase

Very cool! I used to build halloween props as well, eventually may revisit them and add microcontroller magic.

#28695 DIY Go Cables

Posted by ItsDan on 09 May 2012 - 12:35 AM in Netduino Go

I found the connectors but even in volume they were over $1 each, and you obviously need 2 of them, making them more pricey than buying assembled cables for the most part.

#28763 DIY Go Cables

Posted by ItsDan on 09 May 2012 - 11:24 PM in Netduino Go

I didn't see them cheaper, please feel free to post a link. Also note that you currently can't use arbitrary length cables, short lengths should work but over a certain length and you'll get errors. My understanding is that a firmware update will enable adaptive speeds so you can use any length cable.

#18644 Initializing Brushless Motor problem

Posted by ItsDan on 01 October 2011 - 01:06 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Yes coil voltage is the voltage neccessary to close the relay. You'll want to try and find SSR models (solid-state-relays), normal relays are mechanical and can cause noise on the line. Ideally you want one that triggers at 3.3v, and under 16ma of current, so you could drive it right off a netduino pin. On the other side it needs to handle DC voltages matching your motors, and should be rated to a max current near the max current your motors can draw to be safe.

#18651 Initializing Brushless Motor problem

Posted by ItsDan on 01 October 2011 - 08:06 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I'm also building a quad, but haven't wired up a solution to your issue yet, triacs may work, I have some and was planning to try it. For now I 'boot' the netduino with a USB cable then connect the main battery, then unplug the usb. You could consider using a separate power supply for the netduino, to isolate it from the motors.

#17635 Junk Yard Dog

Posted by ItsDan on 06 September 2011 - 03:41 AM in General Discussion

I have 3 broken printers at work, big laserjet ones too. I hadn't even considered tearing them down to get some free stuff. I know what I'll be doing this week :)

#30732 Considering a ND Go! for next project

Posted by ItsDan on 15 June 2012 - 03:08 PM in Netduino Go

So the model used by the N-Go will be that components are connected to a 'module' that is specifically designed to work with the Go board. 3rd party components can however be added using either the Shield Base or Protomodule. The former is still in beta, the latter requires custom firmware to be written. So those comments relate to connecting arbitrary hardware.

What you linked is a type Y gadgeteer module, and I believe the Go only supports SUX types. The 'equivalent' Go module is the Nwazet Relay Module, which has a single relay on it.

#31194 Thinking about a community run Maker Challenge

Posted by ItsDan on 25 June 2012 - 11:24 AM in Netduino Go

Just picked up on this thread, but I do think with the existing core modules it would be a tough competition, you'd end up with a handful of variations on the same project.

#23204 Button click logging

Posted by ItsDan on 23 January 2012 - 04:57 PM in General Discussion

Also depending on what you have the interrupt detecting you may be recording constantly when the button is pressed instead of just when it changes to high.

#27763 Netduino Go! RGB Umbrella

Posted by ItsDan on 20 April 2012 - 10:27 PM in Project Showcase

<brainstorm> Could you add a button in the handle that would trigger a few quickly timed flashes to white to create a lightning effect? </brainstorm>

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.