Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

GPRS Nanny Cam

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Lithium

Blue Lithium

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

Hi all, I am weighing whether to buy an Arduino Lily Pad, or start with the NetDuino. The project is to build something like IP Cam, which is an IP Camera. However, I don't want to be dependant on having a wireless network around to upload the pic. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, and the aim is to be able to log into a camera, attached to their clothing/pocket, and see what they are seeing. I'd like to be able to instruct the camera to take a pic, or a sequence of pics. Then upload the pic to the site I am checking it from, using GPRS. So I basically need a small, custom device, that you can insert a sim card into, that can take a pic when instructed to remotely. Anyone done anything similar? Thanks!

#2 ItsDan

ItsDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9607 Something like this?
Follow the adventures of the Box of Crappy Surplus

Total BOCS Traveled Distance: 9708 miles | States Visited: 5
Track the Box

#3 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:09 AM

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9607

Something like this?

Speaking as a network engineer for a Very Large Wireless Company chances are you won't find this in something that you can stick on a little kid. All the consumer grade electronics are going to be bulkier. Not to mention I don't think you want to stick a LiPo battery on your kid and if you want any kind of battery life LiPo is the way to go.

Cells use a LOT of juice - and since you want to be able to log into the device that means it's going to have to be always on with a data connection running. You'll save some power by using 2G (GPRS) vs 3G (UMTS) but it's still going to require a decent battery to get any kind of life out of it.

-Greg

#4 Jarrod Sinclair

Jarrod Sinclair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Speaking as a network engineer for a Very Large Wireless Company chances are you won't find this in something that you can stick on a little kid. All the consumer grade electronics are going to be bulkier. Not to mention I don't think you want to stick a LiPo battery on your kid and if you want any kind of battery life LiPo is the way to go.

Cells use a LOT of juice - and since you want to be able to log into the device that means it's going to have to be always on with a data connection running. You'll save some power by using 2G (GPRS) vs 3G (UMTS) but it's still going to require a decent battery to get any kind of life out of it.

-Greg

In addition to the power requirements you also have to be concerned with durability. A 3 year old will try to see if it can be used as a boat in the bathroom sink (experience talking here). The 1year old might try to use it as a cookie eat it. My recommendation would be to take the covert approach and setup a number of passive IR motion detector and then use that to trigger a series of hidden cameras. This way you can capture multiple angles or rooms.

If you are worried about where your nanny might be taking your kids there are GPS watches and ankle brackets (think prison inmate here) for kids that can log the GPS cords of where they have been every minute or so and some even support GPRS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.