Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Are there any known issues with SD cards?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Don King

Don King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Are there any known issues with this release and SD cards? I am having a lot of issues with code that worked fine for me in the past (recompiled with the latest .NETMF 4.3 and Netduino 4.3 SDK and using VS 2012 on an NP2). I keep having issues with corrupt files, files that won't write out and then once is a while it seems to work fine but mostly it fails. Below is the simple code I am using to create the file and then the code that I use to append records. My card is a 2GB SanDisk. The behavior has been very strange. I can provide detail if it will help.

using (var filestream = new FileStream(@"SDMY_LED_LOG.CSV", FileMode.Create)){  StreamWriter streamWriter = new StreamWriter(filestream);  streamWriter.WriteLine("Status,DateTime");  streamWriter.Close();} 

using (var filestream = new FileStream(@"SDMY_LED_LOG.CSV", FileMode.Append)){ StreamWriter streamWriter = new StreamWriter(filestream); streamWriter.WriteLine(statusText + "," + DateTime.Now.ToString()); streamWriter.Close();} 

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hi Don,

Are there any known issues with this release and SD cards? I am having a lot of issues with code that worked fine for me in the past (recompiled with the latest .NETMF 4.3 and Netduino 4.3 SDK and using VS 2012 on an NP2).

There were quite a few changes in NETMF 4.3 but I'm not aware of any that would cause this. If you run your code under NETMF 4.2, does it work? Also--if you can create a consistent repro--for either 4.2 RTM or 4.3 beta--we will try to repro it here and dig into the problem. Chris

#3 Don King

Don King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

Hi Chris - I plan to switch back over to NETMF 4.2 so I can see if the issue is still there. I just wanted to check first to see if there were any known issues that were reported.

I will let you know the results.

Thanks!

Don

Hi Don,There were quite a few changes in NETMF 4.3 but I'm not aware of any that would cause this. If you run your code under NETMF 4.2, does it work? Also--if you can create a consistent repro--for either 4.2 RTM or 4.3 beta--we will try to repro it here and dig into the problem. Chris

#4 Don King

Don King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hi Don,There were quite a few changes in NETMF 4.3 but I'm not aware of any that would cause this. If you run your code under NETMF 4.2, does it work? Also--if you can create a consistent repro--for either 4.2 RTM or 4.3 beta--we will try to repro it here and dig into the problem. Chris

Hi Chris - Sorry this has taken a while but just got back to this today. I uninstalled all v4.3 software and installed v4.2 of the .NETMF and Netduino SDK. I erased and installed the v4.2.2 firmware on my NP2 and my NP has v4.2.0.1.

The same behavior happened as described above with my NP2 and corrupt files. The NP works like a champ so I am led to believe that there is an issue with my NP2? I am not sure where to begin figuring out what that might be.

If you have any suggestions of things I can provide to help solve this or other things I can try please let me know.

Thanks!

Don

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

Hi Don, The best place to starting diagnosing an issue like this is with a different MicroSD card. Preferably a <=2GB one, to isolate any SDHC issues. And first formatted using a PC. Do you happen to have another MicroSD card there? Chris

#6 Don King

Don King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hi Don, The best place to starting diagnosing an issue like this is with a different MicroSD card. Preferably a <=2GB one, to isolate any SDHC issues. And first formatted using a PC. Do you happen to have another MicroSD card there? Chris

Hi Chris - I do not. All I have is a couple of 4GB cards. I am however willing to aquire an additional 2GB to test. Can you give me a manufacturer and model # of a card that you currently have working with the NP2? A link would be helpful.

Thanks!

Don

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Hi Don,

Here's what we use:
http://www.amazon.co...sk 2gb micro sd

SanDisk 2GB MicroSD. They've worked 100% for us, and are what we use to test every Netduino Plus 2 before it leaves Secret Labs.

Chris

#8 Don King

Don King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hi Don,

Here's what we use:

SanDisk 2GB MicroSD. They've worked 100% for us, and are what we use to test every Netduino Plus 2 before it leaves Secret Labs.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I have ordered it and will report back the results. Quick question, I usually just format with a PC and do Fat file system w/ default allocation sizes. Is there any steps that you all take differently to format?

Thanks!

Don

#9 Don King

Don King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hi Don,There were quite a few changes in NETMF 4.3 but I'm not aware of any that would cause this. If you run your code under NETMF 4.2, does it work?

Also--if you can create a consistent repro--for either 4.2 RTM or 4.3 beta--we will try to repro it here and dig into the problem.

Chris

Chris - As a side note, it does appear that some other users are having similar issues with SD Cards and NP2.

Thanks!

Don

#10 Don King

Don King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Hi Don,

Here's what we use:

Chris

Hi Chris - I received the new SD card and have the same results as before. ND1 works great and ND2 fails with a corrupt file. Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks!

Don

#11 Don King

Don King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Just wanted to bump this topic. Is this something that needs to be fixed in the firmware or is there something else I need to try?

Hi Chris - I received the new SD card and have the same results as before. ND1 works great and ND2 fails with a corrupt file. Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks!

Don

#12 Don King

Don King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Just wanted to bump this topic. Is this something that needs to be fixed in the firmware or is there something else I need to try?

Hi Don, Here's what we use: http://www.amazon.co...sk 2gb micro sd SanDisk 2GB MicroSD. They've worked 100% for us, and are what we use to test every Netduino Plus 2 before it leaves Secret Labs. Chris

Chris - Am I ever going to get some acknowledgement on this? I have been waiting for a few months now. As I stated before, I understand there are issues and time and resources are needed to resolve, but that doesn't mean that you should go dark and not provide an update. Can you please address the issue and what you know about it?

Thanks,

Don

#13 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hi Don,

Can you create a small project which reproduces this (ten or fewer lines of code) and attach it to your post?  We'll be happy to take a look; we just don't have an official bug filed on it.  WIth your attachment...I'll file a bug report and we'll have an engineer take a look at it.

Sorry that your previous post got overlooked in the .NET MF 4.3 beta topic; we've split it out now so we can help address the issue.

Thank you,

Chris

#14 haniemile

haniemile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hi Chris,

This is my first time to post on this forum,  i am interested in Netduino plus 2 but i need to use micro SD more than 2G, do you have any plan in the near future to support it?

Thanks, 

Hani.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.