Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Alternative to NFC tags?

NFC near-field communication near field communication

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hi all,

I had a fun idea that would add a little flair to a project I'm working on. I do instrument development for a climate research group and I'm building a networked array of instruments (using Netduino!) that communicate with various wireless protocols (WiFi, cellular networks, etc). That's easy enough, but what I want to do is write an android app to allow our field engineers to be able to use NFC communication to receive real-time data from the instruments to their phones and tablets. Previously I was just using QR codes to let the engineers connect to the webserver and automatically navigate to the relevant instrument's page, but in the case of a network failure I want the instruments to still be serviceable.

I like the idea of NFC, but I can't output data over an NFC tag without an NFC programmer of some sort. I found this:

http://www.nxp.com/d...N532_C1_SDS.pdf

I'm wondering if anyone has enough information on NFC to tell me if I can use Netduino to interface with this to produce a constant stream of NFC data that I can recover with a smartphone.

Or would Bluetooth be better?

#2 ziggurat29

ziggurat29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

you idea is very cool.  bluetooth might be better:

*  only a very few phones have nfc

*  last I messed with android NFC, I found the api pretty tedious

*  there are readily available bluetooth doodads you can plug into one of your netduino serial ports for about $10 in unit quantities on ebay from china.

on the other hand, I have not done bluetooth serial on the android, so who knows maybe thats even worse.  on iphone is a pita because (last I looked at least), you cant programattically engage the BT (but maybe in your datacollection app, that's not a biggie).

Lastly, I don't know if the pairing issue with bluetooth will be a nightmare.  Maybe not, but something to think about.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NFC, near-field communication, near field communication

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.