Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

New to Netduino

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RobDog888

RobDog888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

Hello,

I have the N2 and found that it doesnt provide exactly what I need. I guess they should have ordered the N2+ to get the RJ45 port.

My question is, is it possible to get the netduino (any version) to read/write via its USB port? Also, does everything have to be a client / server app to display a GUI on your computer?

Thanks

#2 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

read write with usb port: short: no, it can print debug data that you can read, but not write.

but you can use a ftdi cable or cp2102 adapter, that make a virtual serial port over usb - a great thing

client /ser: well, i do that not via ethernet, ill use the cp2102 uart solution for that. seems to be way more lightweight -

but the principle is the same. the gui runs in a windows app and reads/writes data to the serial port.

btw: i think you can hook up an enc28j60 the the normal n2 and make ethernet work, but iam not sure.

if that doesent work you can use mIP - a non secretlabs enc28j60 driver -

but with that you cant use the netmf socket classes.

#3 RobDog888

RobDog888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Basically Im coming from using a Phidgets board and wanted to replicate my solution on a Netduino board.

Seems that the N2 runs a embedded program that we flash on to it whereas the Phidgets board you run your software on a computer and interact with the Phidgets board.

So would I be able to have an app interact with the N2 board similar as the Phidgets board?

Also I see on the Net Micro its got some RS232 soder pads. Is this for flashing your program over to it or can those be used as a COM port?

Thanks

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:10 AM

Hi RobDog888, If you built an app for your PC which interacted with your Netduino via a USB-Serial adapter...you could control it from your computer. Some community members have put together Telnet solutions that do that via Ethernet on Netduino Plus...and you might also be able to use an Ethernet expansion board and hack that code to work with your Netduino 2. On the Netduino Mini...the RS-232 can be used as a COM port. You can select from either the TTL or RS-232 serial ports for deploy/debug. Welcome to the Netduino community, Chris

#5 RobDog888

RobDog888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for your reply Chris. Great news on the mini. The mini will be more of a solution for us as we also need its compact size.

Any way to expand upon the I/O's on the mini?

#6 RobDog888

RobDog888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Associated question, if I needed 7 inputs and 4 outputs minimum on the mini could I use every I/O pin on the board as I see some are dedicated for certain types like I2C, UART or SPI? I'm not familiar with them.

#7 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

you can use them as normal i/o's too, but with stuff like spi and 74hc595 ic's you can have "unlimited" ammount of outputs.

there are ofc ic's for inputs too. pcf 8574 for example can do both in and out-put and uses i2c.

both ic's i mentioned are aviable in dip packages, very cheap and easy to handle (there are also drivers for it, like netmf toolbox and some others)

#8 RobDog888

RobDog888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yea I read something about using the 74HC595. Thanks

Last question for this thread, there is no absolute way to interact with the board without flashing a client program on to the board and have to do a client/server app design? I was using the Phidgets board and really need interaction like that provides.

Thanks

#9 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

no there is not, and iam sure phidgets uses also a System like that, just implemented in Firmware.

for netduino you have to write your own, but thats very simple.

http://blog.codeblac...with-RS232.aspx

heres a Basic Serial Approach.

ist also possible with Ethernet.

iam using wireless Bluetooth Serial Interfaces for that (like in the tutorial, just without cables)

on the netduino mini you can also use this for wireless programming, maybe for normal netduinos too.

http://forums.netdui...ss-programming/

//edit: anyone knows how to disable the Auto spell correction in ie? ist quite annoying, i write everything lowercase and ie changes that ...

edit:

btw: everything and everyone uses a Basic Client / Server System. like iam now the Server sending text, and you are the Client receieving it (reading it) :D :D

#10 RobDog888

RobDog888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

LOL Thanks. Well the board is just for developing a prototype application which will be moved into a proprietary board or cable solution with an embedded chip in it. Thus we need a fat client app design 

Thanks for the info and reply as well :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.