Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Possible hardware fault

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

I have an original netduino which I haven't used for about a year. Today I dug it out and deployed some software that I wrote a while back that drives an hd44780 lcd panel. This used to work, but now doesn't.

In investigating this I found some strange behaviour with the gpio pins. If I have program with a simple loop that repeatedly alternates GPIO0 between high and low with a short delay, this actually affects GPIO3. Changing the pin ID sometimes has no effect and other times affects a completely different pin.

My question: is there an explanation for this apart from some kind of hardware damage? The board is screwed onto a baseboard and has just been sat on my desk. I don't think it has been handled.

It will respond to pings and blink the on-board led, so its not completely dead. I tried re-flashing it with 4.1.0.6 but that didn't help.

Any thoughts? should I just toss it an buy a netduino 2.

Thanks, Andy.

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi Andy and welcome to the Netduino forums!

Just want to be sure, did you use the correct pin enumeration? This is a common mistake I often make myself too;

Debug.Print(SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino.Pins.GPIO_PIN_D0.ToString()); // 27Debug.Print(Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.Pin.GPIO_Pin0.ToString());           //  0Debug.Print(SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino.Pins.GPIO_PIN_D3.ToString()); //  1Debug.Print(Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.Pin.GPIO_Pin3.ToString());           //  3

The SecretLabs enumeration is the correct one

"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hi Stefan, and thanks for your help.

Yes, I was using the Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.Pin enumeration in my test program. Changing it to the SecretLabs enum gives me the results I was expecting. Thanks for that!

Unfortunately my lcd driver uses the correct enum, so its problems lie elsewhere. But at least I'm not utterly confused now...

Thanks again, Andy.

#4 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hi Andy,

Do you have a way to test the LCD panel? (without using the Netduino)

Paul

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hi Andy, How hard was it screwed down? I've never seen it happen, but I suppose that it's possible to damage any circuit board traces if it is bent for a long period of time. All of the digital pins should be independent. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.