Introducing Netduino Plus 2 - Page 2 - Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Introducing Netduino Plus 2

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#21 stotech

stotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I noticed that i2c has been moved? Does this mean it is no longer available on analogue pins 4 and 5? If not that's ok. I was day's away from ordering 100 industrial shields. If this was released 1 week from now. Their would have been tears. Now I wont sleep from dreaming of all the extra possibilities. Ah...... So many questions if you don't mind? What has become of aref? and what is ioref? and what are the 2 pins not labelled? And the possibility of canbus makes my heart race. if it were to some along in the future. what pins would I leave spare? I'm so excited! Thanks in advance.

#22 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hi Grant,

I'll answer all questions I can, some remain unanswered for someone else, sorry for that.

I noticed that i2c has been moved? Does this mean it is no longer available on analogue pins 4 and 5?

Just like the Arduino Uno, they're added for I²C shields. But there's also still an I²C channel on pins 4 and 5!
Also this adds two additional GPIOs.

what is ioref?

This is also a new thing. Since there are boards running on 5V and 3.3V Arduino started using an IORef, which gives off the voltage for signals. On the Netduino board this is equal to 3.3V.

and what are the 2 pins not labelled?

Nothing :) Reserved for future use so far.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#23 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hi Grant,

I noticed that i2c has been moved? Does this mean it is no longer available on analogue pins 4 and 5? If not that's ok. I was day's away from ordering 100 industrial shields. If this was released 1 week from now. Their would have been tears.

Whew :) We're still making Netduino Plus 1 for commercial customers (100+ units) but for new designs...Netduino Plus 2 is definitely the way to go.

The new Arduino boards put I2C on the "SDA/SCL" pins. They may optionally also copy them on different pins. There is no "A4/A5" standard anymore.

Netduino Plus 2 puts the I2C on the SDA/SCL pins, per the Arduino standard. So right now if you want to use shields which have I2C on A4/A5, just connect jumper wires between the headers.

That said, we're working on a clever software solution which will let you pick between I2C on A4/A5 and I2C on SDA/SCL (mirroring to both by default). That's the same I2C software that will be running on Shield Base. So we'll be taking the new Arduino standard a step further by making things even easier for users.

What has become of aref? and what is ioref?
and what are the 2 pins not labelled?

AREF is now internal. 99.9% of users use the 3V3 header as their analog sensor's voltage...so it's all connected internally. And we put bulk smoothing caps on the 3V3 rail...so your ADC readings should be much more insulated from things like sudden Ethernet traffic.

There was also the problem that different boards have different AREF ranges...and like with Netduino Plus 1 ( Rev B ) we didn't want the potential that a shield could damage the mainboard by AREF being out of allowed range.

IOREF feeds 3.3V to shields, so that they know that they should use 3.3V logic (and hopefully 3.3V analog signals). This was necessary for Arduino because some of their new boards aren't 5V any more. It's not critical for us, but if analog voltages follow the reference...we'll magically get compatibility with even more shields.

The 2 pins which aren't labeled are AREF (which is now internal) and the "blank pin" which Arduino has put next to IOREF. It's there for future expansion. Only time will tell what it will become.

And the possibility of canbus makes my heart race. if it were to some along in the future. what pins would I leave spare?

CANBUS will require a bit of external hardware, and some serious software hacking. It could be something we work on as a community and something we even contribute to the NETMF core. The CAN pins are PB8/9 which map to D5/6. So you'd be giving up 2 PWM pins (and have 4+ remaining). There's actually a second CAN interface on pins D4 and D13 as well...but that would make you give up SPI.

Thanks for your enthusiasm :)

Chris

#24 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Chris, NP2 looks great, now I have to wait until Saturday for my new boards. I hate waiting can't you get that teleporter to work? Thank those at the Lab for all of the hard work, keep warm. Chuck

#25 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

This will become the base of Pandora's Box. This solves so many problems with bringing my product to fruition. Also, with 6 PWM, it will help me bring another product into the prototype phase. Thanks to SecretLabs for continuing to listen to the people and bringing great products to the market.

#26 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

There is one big problem is Nwazet LCDPosted Image

#27 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Is it possible to make an Go port out of the jtag header?, or are we getting an Go Shield? :)

--
Asbjørn

#28 Glen

Glen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Looks good. I may get one of these. Just a suggestion: Please have a link somewhere on the hardware page(http://www.netduino.com/hardware/) that you can use to navigate to the specs for the older product(s). I realize I can just remove the "2" in this link: http://netduino.com/...plus2/specs.htm, but it can be a real pain sometimes finding specs for legacy hardware. I'm not sure someone unfamiliar with the site would realize how to do it. I hope you will keep the information/specs online for legacy products.

#29 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

This looks fantastic! Just ordered one. Is there a firmware that does not include the LWIP TCP/IP stack? I am thinking of my mIP TCP stack which should work well with this as I see the ENC28J60 on the board. Obviously though, I suspect that if there is a GCC version of the firmware, this would be a simple change and rebuild.

-Valkyrie-MT

#30 H07R0D

H07R0D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

<DROOL> so. much. RAM.
You're going to make me a lazy coder again Posted Image

Now I just need to get one to Canada......

#31 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Now I just need to get one to Canada......

Proto-advantage have already listed them
http://www.proto-adv...uino_plus_2.php

--
Asbjørn

#32 ErikN

ErikN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Is it possible to make an Go port out of the jtag header?, or are we getting an Go Shield? :)

I haven't looked at the schematic but my guess is no. The mini jtag is probably wired to the STM chip. Go ports require SPI and GPIO pins which I doubt are part of the jtag spec.

As for a Go Port shield - that would be cool! It would really unify all the products - use any of them with any of the boards you might have. +1 to that idea!

#33 H07R0D

H07R0D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Proto-advantage have already listed them
http://www.proto-adv...uino_plus_2.php

Shipping to Canada for $2.50......Done and Done!

#34 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Shipping to Canada for $2.50......Done and Done!

I think they are in Canada?, based on the contactus page.
They are very cheap in delivery even to Norway

--
Asbjørn

#35 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Your timing is perfect. Can't wait for mine to arrive! Thanks guys!

#36 boez52

boez52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Does this board have an hibernate feature?

#37 Thomas Rankin

Thomas Rankin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Boom just ordered mine.. Super stoked.

#38 lmaung

lmaung

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Chris, I have been hanging around the forums for a long time. I am also one of the guys speaking up and actually using Netduinos in live examples at code camps and such throughout the midwest. This IS awesome and amazing news. Finally, a decent Netduino that I can use. Thank you. We've used a Netduino Plus, in conjunction with Windows Azure to control a garage (later a whole house). I have also created a SumoShield which is usable with both Arduino and Netduino (same pmw). Anyways, keep up the great work and let me know if you need help in any ways.

#39 ErikN

ErikN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Does this board have an hibernate feature?

I believe the STM chip has different power modes but I think NETMF is limited in what it can do. Maybe this should be a feature request?

I personally would love to have a low power profile such that at boot up all the shield power pins are off. If I have threads all asleep the MCU should go into low power mode. I'd like to be able to tell the MCU to go down and wait for an interrupt before waking up to do work.

#40 swestcott

swestcott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMontclair Va

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

This is so cool I bought a LoL shield back when the first Netduino came out and I knew very little about microcontrollers but I was going to have a section in my book (shameless plug for The Complete Idiot's Guide to Electronics 101)about the Netduino and I just thought it says Arduino compatible could be fun to try. It has been sitting on my work bench mocking me for over 2 years. Your day has come and you will mock me no more. I Just placed my order on amazon.

Woot! A Netduino Plus 2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nzw1t00Vnk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.