Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

74HC595 simulator

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

I found this page showing how the famous 74HC595 shift-register works. It allows to interact with the user. Much easier to see than to explain! http://conductiveres...ster-simulator/ Have fun.
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#2 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Thank, man!Posted Image

#3 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Good resource to have a play with, but be careful as it is not quite correct.

#4 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

Good resource to have a play with, but be careful as it is not quite correct.

Where's the problem? Should we forward it to the owners?

#5 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

Looking at the feedback on the site, back in 2011 the author fixed two issues with the shift register clear and output. What I had an issue with is that the output enable does nothing to the outputs - not very important, but may be confusing to someone who is not sure how it should work. Also I had a few problems getting it to respond to presses. This meant for me that some of the clock pulses were ignored and it is hard to put in a test sequence accurately. This is probably because I am using it with chrome on Android, I expect it is a whole lot better on a PC with a mouse! In summary - don't be put off trying it, it is a useful gadget to understand how the 74595 works. But, there are some minor issues. Paul

#6 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

You are right about the inaccuracy of the simulator. When the /OE is high, the outputs should be marked as "Z". There's no a clear timing sequence of the signals, so that when wiring the '595 to the SPI you have hard time by understanding the edges, etc. Anyway, it's just a nice toy for who's taking a little practice with this chip. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.