Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Trackball Serial Communication

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Z

Luke Z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Ok, so I have a 5byte serial trackball attached through a level converter to my netduino on port 2. The trackball is hard wired for 1200 baud. I seem to be getting dropped bits. For example Hyperterminal on my pc shows: Left click: 131 -> 10000011 Right click: 134 -> 10000110 Debug output from the netduino shows: Left click: 62 -> 111110 Right click: 158 -> 10011110 Is 1200 baud too slow? Do I have messy edges on my serial and need to pull them up or down? Help!

#2 65tux

65tux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Went through something similar a while back - was getting predictable, repeatable but wrong values back. My issue was not having the correct level shifter - what are you using?

#3 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

just a guess - it looks like the data may be inverted. What does 5byte refer to?

#4 Luke Z

Luke Z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Went through something similar a while back - was getting predictable, repeatable but wrong values back. My issue was not having the correct level shifter - what are you using?

I'm using this level shifter:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8745

This is what I mean by 5byte:

http://www.kryslix.com/nsfaq/Q.12.html
The 5 byte Mouse Systems packet section.

#5 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

How exactly do you have the trackball connected to your PC? Is it connected directly to serial (RS-232) port or do you use any converter? Because if it is connected directly, it has RS-232 levels and you'd need RS-232 <-> 3.3V converter for Netduino (i.e. MAX322x), I don't think Sparkfun's logic level converter (5V <-> 3.3V) works correctly for RS-232 (~ ±10 V).

#6 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

I agree with CW2 and 65tux, the level shifter you have is for +5V to +3.3V conversion. Not RS232 to 3.3V conversion. What you need is +5V to 0V and -5V to +3.3V e.g. the signal is inverted and the voltage limited. If you only need one way comms (from the trackerball to the Netduino), then you can use a transistor to do the job. Otherwise one of the max232 family will be needed. Have fun - Paul

#7 Luke Z

Luke Z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

Thanks to all, I see what you are all getting at and that makes perfect sence. I have ordered a couple of these, http://www.robotshop...-adapter-5.html I hope these will fix the issue. I will report back with more.

#8 Luke Z

Luke Z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Looks like those 232 to TTL converters I mentioned are working perfectly. only using one pin, but it works well. Thanks for everyones help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.