Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Firmware v4.2.0

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Version: 4.2.0 (version 4.2.0.0)

This firmware requires use of the .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK (QFE2) and Netduino 4.2.0.1 SDK.

With this firmware, you will have the following resources available for your code:
128KB Flash
60KB+ RAM

This firmware includes the following updates:
1. Visual Basic is now a supported language for .NET MF
2. New core AnalogInput and PWM classes; backwards-compatible classes available via add-on assemblies.
3. New WinUSB drivers (to remedy BSOD issues in 4.2 beta)
4. Garbage collector now fully collects old objects
5. See netmf.codeplex.com for full details of all bugfixes

To find the current version of your Netduino firmware:
1. Go to the Start Menu > Programs > Microsoft .NET Micro Framework 4.2 > Tools
2. Run MFDeploy.exe. Be careful to run MFDeploy.exe and not MFDeploy.exe.config (as file extensions are hidden by default)
3. Plug your Netduino into your PC using a Micro USB cable.
4. In the Device section at top, select USB instead of Serial. Your Netduino should appear in the drop-down; if not, select it.
5. Select the Target menu, Device Capabilities option.
6. In the output box, find the "SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion" value. This is your firmware version.

Users of firmware version 4.2.0.0 RC5 or earlier may update to this new firmware:
1. Erase your Netduino by applying 3V3 power to the gold ERASE pad
a. Detach and reattach your Netduino (power cycle)
2. Flash TinyBooterDecompressor.bin using SAM-BA v2.12+
a. Detach and reattach your Netduino (power cycle)
3. Flash TinyCLR using MFDeploy v4.2+
a. Click "Browse..." and select the TinyCLR files (ER_CONFIG and ER_FLASH).
b. Press "Deploy". It will take a few minutes to update your Netduino.
c. Detach and reattach your Netduino (power cycle)

Enjoy, and please let us know if you run into any troubles.

Chris

Attached Files

#2 Cornelius

Cornelius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hi,
I'm having some trouble following this manual. After i loaded the TinyBooterDecompresor with the SAM-BA, i reconnected the Netduino and my PC did not have the drivers for it (Netduino - No Driver Found).
Needless to say, before this process everything worked just fine.

I have installed .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK (QFE2) and Netduino 4.2.0.1 SDK in advance, and also tried to use the drivers from thispost, but no success.

Any suggestions?

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hi Cornelius,

I'm having some trouble following this manual. After i loaded the TinyBooterDecompresor with the SAM-BA, i reconnected the Netduino and my PC did not have the drivers for it (Netduino - No Driver Found).
Needless to say, before this process everything worked just fine.

I have installed .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK (QFE2) and Netduino 4.2.0.1 SDK in advance, and also tried to use the drivers from thispost, but no success.

Does the device show up in Device Manager? If so, try selecting "update driver..." and then pointing it at "c:\program files (x86)\secret labs\netduino sdk\drivers\winusb".

Chris

#4 Cornelius

Cornelius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hi Chris, Thanks for the fast reply! Turns out I had an older version of the Netduino SDK (from april, i think), which did not have WinUSB drivers. After I re-installed the SDK, my PC recognized the Netduino. The rest of the process went smoothly. Thanks a lot! Cornelius

#5 Novice Alex

Novice Alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hi Guys,

Just to share with you guys on my experience on the upgrading to 4.2.
After flashing my Netduino+ I execute the MFDeploy, it does not show the device when I select USB connection.

Then I realize i did not install the latest .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK (QFE2).
You may download from here

After installation, reset your netduino and plug it it, you should see the device in the MFDeploy application and continue your firmware upgrade.

Good luck.

Regards,
Alex

#6 cefa

cefa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVenice Italy

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hello I have followed all the procedure to reset,re-flash Neduino plus to the firmware 4.2.0.0, I have successful reading with MFdeploy , setted an hardware address (also the mac address) also i test a little program (led blink) BUT, the ethernet interface is not working, it stop working, but WAS working with the previous firmware There are no led blinking, only the led ACT flink one time when i poer up netduino, then stop what are your suggestions? what i have to do? thanks to everybody siza

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi cefa, You're posting this in the Netduino (not Netduino Plus) thread... Can you press PING in MFDeploy and verify that you're running Netduino Plus firmware (with Ethernet support) and not the regular Netduino firmware by accident? Chris

#8 cefa

cefa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVenice Italy

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi cefa,

You're posting this in the Netduino (not Netduino Plus) thread... Can you press PING in MFDeploy and verify that you're running Netduino Plus firmware (with Ethernet support) and not the regular Netduino firmware by accident?

Chris

Hi Chris,
Sorry i vould apologise, You are rigth ....and i need to sleep more ;-)
now i re-done all with the rigth firmware and its all ok...also ethernet!
thanks

cefa

#9 Luke Z

Luke Z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Not sure if I'm the only one, just updated to 4.2 and now when I deploy a project it hangs when trying to enter the debugging state. It seems to deploy ok, but then gives the "The debugging target is not in an initialized state; rebooting..." message and hangs. Have to power cycle to get it to respond.

#10 Don King

Don King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

I have installed the TinyBooter but now my Netduino is not recognized as Windows can't find a driver. I see it in my Device Manager but it says that drivers for this device are not installed. Any thoughts? I am running Windows 7 64bit. The MFDeploy doesn't see the device either and it did before. Any help is appreciated as I now just have a dead Netduino ;-) Let me know what other information I can provide. Thanks! Don

#11 Robert L.

Robert L.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hey Chris, Great job on 4.2, I upgraded a couple of days ago and so far the network related crashes have disappeared. I am testing on a 7/24 basis, and will report back after a few more days. But at this point, it seems the problems that were causing watchdog based reboots have been fixed, yeah! I note the mention of new PWM and analog pin classes. I am still using the older classes following the instructions you provided about including additional resources. I am not sure how to update my code to use the newer classes, nor what advantages the new classes will offer. Is this information already posted, or if not, could you clue me in? I would rather stay up to date when possible. Thanks, Robert

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hi Don,

I have installed the TinyBooter but now my Netduino is not recognized as Windows can't find a driver. I see it in my Device Manager but it says that drivers for this device are not installed.

Did you install the new Netduino 4.2.0.1 SDK? The new TinyBooter/TinyCLR use WinUSB drivers instead of the older MFUSB drivers... The newer SDK contains those new drivers.

Chris

#13 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hey Robert,

I note the mention of new PWM and analog pin classes. I am still using the older classes following the instructions you provided about including additional resources. I am not sure how to update my code to use the newer classes, nor what advantages the new classes will offer. Is this information already posted, or if not, could you clue me in? I would rather stay up to date when possible.

Great news about the improvements in network behavior. :)

The new AnalogInput and PWM classes have roughly the same featureset as before. The one new feature is that you can now start/stop multiple PWMs in sync.

The new AnalogInput class has an "offset" and "scale" value in an optional constructor instead of a SetRange function. And it returns a Double between 0.0 and 1.0 instead of an int between 0 and 1023.

The new PWM works with a DutyCycle of 0.1 through 1.0 instead of 0 through 100. The constructor takes the initial values for dutycycle or period/duration as well.

Generally the changes are purely about how you use the objects. The more important thing is that they're now standardized classes...so your code is portable across NETMF platforms.

Chris

#14 gomore11

gomore11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

Hi Chris! I´ve got a big problem. I changed the firmwares of 2 of my Netduino, and I installed the 4.2 .Net Micro Framework(previously desinstalling the 4.2.0 RC3) and none of them work!! I deploy my program but the visual studio says: "The debugging target is not in an initialized state;rebooting........." But they get frozen at this moment and I don´t have any kind of rsponse.... Could you help me please, thank you.

#15 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hi Chris!

I´ve got a big problem. I changed the firmwares of 2 of my Netduino, and I installed the 4.2 .Net Micro Framework(previously desinstalling the 4.2.0 RC3) and none of them work!! I deploy my program but the visual studio says: "The debugging target is not in an initialized state;rebooting........." But they get frozen at this moment and I don´t have any kind of rsponse....

Could you help me please, thank you.

Hi Gomore11

Here are a few things to try:

• Have you uninstalled all previous SDK's (both the secrent labs netduino SDK and the previous .net microframework SDK's) and installed the latest (QFE2) versions ?
  • Have you set the target framework to 4.2 in your project properties?
  • In visual studio try changing the target framework to 4.1, closing the project properties, then opening them back up and changing the target framework back to 4.2.
Nak.

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hi gomore11, Also, please try detaching and re-attaching the MicroUSB cable from your Netduino Plus. Does that force Visual Studio to reconnect after rebooting? Chris

#17 gomore11

gomore11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Hi all. Finally I uninstalled everything and erased the netduino, and reinstalled everything again. Now the visual studio founds the debugger in the netduino but now it says this:"Link failure: some assembly references cannot be resolved!!" and "Assembly: SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino (4.1.0.0) needs assembly 'Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware' (4.1.2821.0)" and some more assembly errors but the same like this last one. Is this a library problem???

#18 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Hi gomore11, It seems your project is still configured for .NETMF 4.1, while your Netduino is flashed with .NETMF 4.2. Open your solution in Visual Studio and double click the "Properties"-page underneath your project in the Solution Explorer window. Go to the "Application"-tab. You can both see and change the target framework here.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#19 gomore11

gomore11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hi Stefan. I know the procedure but, this is not the problem, my program is configured in .NET MF 4.2, this is what is confusing me.

#20 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hi Stefan.

I know the procedure but, this is not the problem, my program is configured in .NET MF 4.2, this is what is confusing me.

I have had that once too, it helped to remove and re-install both SDKs in the correct sequence. Want to give that a try?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.