Character LCD Module - Page 2 - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Character LCD Module

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

To keep the community together for go-modules, it would be awesome if secret labs had an repository somewhere (which I have asked about before) both for its firmwares, and firmware/software/papers etc for third party modules, so everything was in one place, for instance under an github repo, maybe organized as an organization or something. And even better, if they produced and sold the modules (like what seeedstudio is doing for its partners) (probably with some income sharing so both parties would do it), that would keep availability of developed things, and offload the manufacturing problems from the developer. (but it need to be agile so one can easily keep up with new modifications etc of the products) That would be easier for customers to actually buy this also, so it doesn't turn into one-off productions.. just my 5øre.. :)

--
Asbjørn

#22 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

You're right, that's something I forgot to specify on the site. The licensing is the same as for Netduino products: The module drivers are released under the Apache 2.0 License and the hardware schematics are released under CC BY-SA 3.0.

Very cool Matt, thanks for supporting open source :)

BTW, one point of clarification: the Netduino hardware is released under CC-BY. Most open source hardware uses the ShareAlike license, but we removed that restriction from Netduino.

This makes it really easy for commercial customers to pick up Netduino's design files and make their own hardware. Otherwise they'd need to publish all of their hardware design files, something that lawyers at large corporations aren't too keen on :)

For GoModules that's usually not a concern, so I imagine that CC-BY-SA will be a very popular license to use as you have done.

Chris

#23 Matt Isenhower

Matt Isenhower

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

Last question for you: are you signing up resellers for your modules? ;)

It's definitely a possibility, I've been looking into a few options. I have to work out some details with the costs, etc., but if you're interested, let me know :)

To keep the community together for go-modules, it would be awesome if secret labs had an repository somewhere (which I have asked about before) both for its firmwares, and firmware/software/papers etc for third party modules, so everything was in one place, for instance under an github repo, maybe organized as an organization or something.

I think a good first step would be adding a module directory or gallery to the Netduino website with links to each module and relevant code or schematics (where available). There is already a list of the available modules on the wiki, but it would be better if this was featured more prominently.

Beyond that, it gets a bit more difficult, particularly when you get into the details of actually producing the modules. If one of us gets into a situation where we can no longer produce our modules, perhaps some other option could be arranged. I think that would be handled on more of a case-by-case basis.

BTW, one point of clarification: the Netduino hardware is released under CC-BY. Most open source hardware uses the ShareAlike license, but we removed that restriction from Netduino.

Thanks for the clarification! :)
Komodex Labs
Follow me on Twitter: @mattisenhower

#24 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

if you're interested, let me know :)

Cool beans :) Skype me when you get the chance.

#25 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

I think a good first step would be adding a module directory or gallery to the Netduino website with links to each module and relevant code or schematics (where available). There is already a list of the available modules on the wiki, but it would be better if this was featured more prominently.

The idea about using wiki is good, but the information there now is incomplete, these forums hold lot of information, specs etc about the modules, like the sheildbase, someone made an fantastic colorful picture with all pin-mappings, but I cannot find it again..

Beyond that, it gets a bit more difficult, particularly when you get into the details of actually producing the modules. If one of us gets into a situation where we can no longer produce our modules, perhaps some other option could be arranged. I think that would be handled on more of a case-by-case basis.

I didn't mean should :), but the option to get others to handle that would be nice. There is an another forum for some other platform, there you have drawings, PCB files etc, but you have to order the PCB yourself, source the parts, and if you don't have parts on hand yourself, it will mean that us from over the ocean just cannot buy stuff like that, since DigiKey, mouser and similar component-sellers takes extreme shipping rates when even if the stuff you buy fits in an envelope.
(If it wasn't for the help from Carb at the forum here, I had to pay $30 in shipping for the jtag headers for netduino shieldbase.. )

--
Asbjørn

#26 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Looks like another very nice Komodex module :) Deff on my wish list now... As for maintaining 2 SVN repo's i feel your pain, that said i have recently started using GIT in anger and i am liking it a lot, tortoisegit is pretty good on windows as its very similar to tortoise svn and the github client is good although it seems to crap out once you have over 3000 files in a project... Nak.

#27 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

The idea about using wiki is good, but the information there now is incomplete, these forums hold lot of information, specs etc about the modules, like the sheildbase, someone made an fantastic colorful picture with all pin-mappings, but I cannot find it again

I found the pinout on wiki under the attachments. Gutworks drew the first one that I know of.

Chuck

Attached Files

#28 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

I found the pinout on wiki under the attachments. Gutworks drew the first one that I know of.

Chuck

Yes, that one, but, I have newer seen that attachment button before, the picture should be visible here:

http://wiki.netduino...hield-Base.ashx

--
Asbjørn

#29 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Yes, that one, but, I have newer seen that attachment button before, the picture should be visible here:

http://wiki.netduino...hield-Base.ashx

I agree, and if I could edit the wiki (there's a permissions issue right now, going to be fixed soon) I'd add it to the page along with some content about its available functionality. I'd like to point out that anyone! can edit the wiki (normally) if you see places where improvements could be made than please do so. If you'r concerned that a change is too significant than stop by chat or post a topic on the forums, and the community at large can talk about it.

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#30 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

I'd like to point out that anyone! can edit the wiki (normally) if you see places where improvements could be made than please do so.

Ah, very cool!

--
Asbjørn

#31 Matt Isenhower

Matt Isenhower

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

Just a quick informal poll -- how many people are interested in the RGB backlight vs. a single color backlight (e.g., the white-on-blue display in the original post)? I'm planning on offering both styles but I'd just like to get an idea of how many people are interested in each kind. Thanks!
Komodex Labs

#32 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Just a quick informal poll -- how many people are interested in the RGB backlight vs. a single color backlight (e.g., the white-on-blue display in the original post)? I'm planning on offering both styles but I'd just like to get an idea of how many people are interested in each kind.

Thanks!

YeS!, but Only if I can buy it togehter with your other two modules.. :) (that is, when they all are available)

--
Asbjørn

#33 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

RGB for me, as I suspect you know ;)

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#34 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:01 AM

Matt, I prefer the RGB for the wider color selection. Chuck

#35 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

If you add two additional pins, you can do both, RGB and monochrome LCDs. I've got a few LCD solutions here, and just soldered female pin headers onto them, so I can connect all kinds of LCDs.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#36 Matt Isenhower

Matt Isenhower

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

If you add two additional pins, you can do both, RGB and monochrome LCDs.

The same board will support both types of backlights, I'm just asking to get an idea of what people are looking for :)

By the way -- Happy birthday!! :D
Komodex Labs

#37 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:30 PM

By the way -- Happy birthday!! :D

"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#38 mtylerjr

mtylerjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Wow, awesome! Every time I see a new module in development, I get amped up again for the future of the platform! RGB would be my choice, unless the cost was significantly higher. I've been using my nwazet LCD screens as a character displays - but I imagine this would end up being cheaper, even with RGB? Any rough idea how much they will cost?

#39 Matt Isenhower

Matt Isenhower

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Any rough idea how much they will cost?

Nothing to announce at this time, but since it is a smaller, simpler module than the full-color LCD from Nwazet it should be less expensive as well :)
Komodex Labs

#40 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Nothing to announce at this time, but since it is a smaller, simpler module than the full-color LCD from Nwazet it should be less expensive as well :)

Don't forget: the Nwazet one also has touch. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.