Ethernet Module Update - Page 5 - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Ethernet Module Update

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 GregR

GregR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationKeller, Tx

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

I've finally come to the conclusion that the Go was a 'lesson learned' about jumping in on something early.  We have seen the Go passed up many times in favor of the other boards.  It's almost like the people that spent the $$$ on Go stuff are the ones that are funding all of the new stuff.  I'm to the point where I think Secret Labs should have a 'buy back' program for all of the Go stuff that people bought that is still sitting and gathering dust.  As Olaf said above...there are many things that have been saying 'Shipping soon' and have had that status for over a year now.   I am starting to feel like others and now believe that the Go is basically dead.  If that was not the case then we would see more priority and effort put into it.  Heck...even the Go forum is dead.  I can stay away from them for weeks and when I come back there is only 1 or 2 new posts...and most of them are asking for an update on the stuff that is still missing.  At this time the Gadgeteer Starter Kit looks like a much more sound investment.  It might not all be open source but at least the stuff works when you buy it.

#82 EricMeyer

EricMeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAllen, Texas

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

GregR,

I kept hoping that the GO would succeed, but like you I'm beginning to think it is abandonware.  Seems like SecretLabs has lost interest in making it work in favor of other projects.

too bad ... it had huge potential.

-Eric

#83 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

At the moment the GO! product line is lacking credibility and I must say that is really down to the lack of support from SL.  I feel that it will take a long tie to recover from that.  And by a long time, I really mean a large number of modules coming from SL to show support for the product range.

The concept is great, the implementation is great, the follow up is lacking.

For me the final nail in the coffin was the release of the Netduino Plus 2.  We had been waiting all summer for the release of the SD module and the Network module for the GO! and in the autumn we get the full package - Netduino, Networking and SD card all for the similar price of the Netduino GO! main board.

Regards,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#84 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

If secret labs at least issued their Go to Gadgeteer module and make available all 8 ports multiple SB I would consider at least there is any change for good, but looks like it's dead

#85 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Just noticed a photo from Build of SL's stand - Netuino, Netduino Plus (assuming a 2 for both), AGENT stuff - No sign of a GO! or any modules.

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

#86 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

[font="calibri;"] [/font]

[font="calibri;"]The silence from Secret Labs is deafening....[/font]

[font="calibri;"]Attendance in the chat room has disappeared....[/font]

[font="calibri;"]What ever is going on doesn't look good, and no response makes one think the worse.[/font]

[font="calibri;"]Chuck[/font]

#87 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

So its now 6 September 2013.

Any news ?

Olaf van Schoten

Van SchOten Ict Diensten en Services
http://www.voids.nl

#88 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hi Olaf, The Ethernet module hardware is done, ready for production. It's waiting on GoBus 1.5 firmware for STM32, which is what we're working on now. We had originally planned to ship it using GoBus 1.0, but the performance wasn't up to snuff. I'll post an update once the units are ready for beta/production. Thank you for your patience. Chris

#89 pdii

pdii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Notice something interesting on this page???

http://www.mouser.co...ord=netduino go

:)

#90 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

I wonder when this was added..

--
Asbjørn

#91 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Chris is it available list? http://www.mouser.co...Nx2gR1uMV10Cqp6

#92 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Chris is it available list? http://www.mouser.co...Nx2gR1uMV10Cqp6

25 on order with a factory lead time of 26 weeks :)

Regards,

Mark

#93 mcinnes01

mcinnes01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

I often see books on amazon with a similar status? Still if 6 months is a realistic time scale for Go! Bus 1.5 it at least gives us a date to look forward to :)

#94 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

half a year..... it doesn't sound like some specific date, sounds like project abandoned

#95 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

So its now 8 October 2013.

Any progress ?

Olaf van Schoten

#96 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Hi Chris,

See my post below, any updates from your side or the Framework guys?

Ps, I think I get my watches earlier then we get hubs and the network module..... :(

So its now 8 October 2013.

Any progress ?

Olaf van Schoten

#97 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:30 AM

Hi Olaf, Ethernet module is in queue, with parts in stock prepared for assembly, but it has some dependencies. Once .NET MF 4.3 QFE1 ships we'll have a better idea on dates for this really nice new module. In the meantime, we are going to start putting a few of the other new modules onto the assembly line. No sense in holding them up, waiting on Ethernet pre-requisites. Chris

#98 mcinnes01

mcinnes01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hi,

Chris is there a planned release date for 4.3QFE1?

Are there fixes in this next release of netmf that are holding the next release of Go! Bus up?

Many thanks,

Andy

PS Roll on the new modules :)

#99 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hi Andy, I sat down with the project manager for NETMF in Seattle two weeks ago. NETMF 4.3 QFE1 is coming along, and they hope to have bits for us to start testing soon. No official date, but there are several people working on it. And yes, GoBus is getting a big upgrade with NETMF 4.3--but it has a number of dependencies on QFE1. As soon as QFE1 ships, we'll be able to start rolling out quite a few new software goodies. We're pretty excited for it. Chris

#100 James Abbott

James Abbott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, UK

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:27 AM

Hi, This is to no one in particular, but more of a general statement and something a bit cheesy I don't do too often so I'm just gonna roll with it.

First things first. I can totally sympathise with the more frustrated users here on the forum, there have been targets set and missed and a general feeling of being forgotten about for this module - but I think some negative comments are too heavy handed and set the wrong idea for any new potential uptakes of Netduino products.

Now I'm sure secret labs will admit that their original targets and feedback on this thread could have been improved. But given what they know now, I'm sure that these guys would have been clearer about expectations when first announcing the ethernet product.  The majority of us are software/hardware geeks, or know of the industry, and so we should all know that when we're dependent on a 3rd party who fail to meet our expectations, we know it's not our fault, but our customers don't. This appears to be exactly that. Now I am still a Netduino fan, and I'm impressed with what Chris and others have been able to accomplish. I've not been able to come up with very many hacks of my own yet, mainly because I'm more of a software buff than hardware which is why I love the Go!Bus. But I've been watching this thread like a hawk. And I can guarantee I'm not the only one doing so if you're reading this! I'd just like to iterate to Secret Labs that despite the negative comments that have already been made, don't loose faith in the community because there are people waiting and eager for these new products… And once these new products become available, and connectivity to things like the Ethernet, Gadgeteer, and the other modules you have in production are availiable - and combined with the simplicity of Go!Bus, I really think that the Go module's uptake will be huge, and the spark of creativity we all have will ignite a fire of excitement in the industry.  Now it's really up to Secret Labs to really come up on top, and show us how some doubtful users are. We look forward to hearing more updates soon Chris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.