Ethernet Module Update - Page 4 - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Ethernet Module Update

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#61 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

So Chris, is this module going to be an Ethernet as well as a SD card, all in one module or just Ethernet. I can't remember where I read that it will be combined.

Thanks

#62 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hi Giuliano, Two separate modules. Chris

#63 zemuss

zemuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Any update on release?

#64 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hi Chris,

Any idea about the Ethernet adapter, I started last year around may just before summer with the GO and asked when it would be available.

Now I hope it has been a secret in your lab more then long ( its is having its first birthday in a few weeks) enough to get us all go work with it ;)

Any idea if we can start doing crazy stuff with that module ?

Cheers Olaf

Van SchOten Ict Diensten en Services
http://www.voids.nl

#65 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hi Olaf, Getting firmware polished off for the Ethernet module is our #1 priority for Netduino Go. While there are alternative ways to do networking on Netduino Go today, we expect the Ethernet module to be the most desirable and straightforward method. The good and bad thing about the Ethernet module is that it requires some speed. This means that it depends on the GoBus 1.5 firmware. That's good because it gives us a chance to really amp things up. But it's bad because we can't ship the accessory until the latest GoBus firmware is ready to go. Protocols can be big, long-term projects. We are looking at some alternative options for Ethernet module support in parallel...although we don't want to confuse things by having modules out there which need to be upgraded later on for core functionality to work. I'll keep you up to date on progress for this Netduino Go accessory as soon as we reach the next milestone... Chris

#66 TinkeringTurtle

TinkeringTurtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Will you expect the Netduino Plus 2 to out perform the Netduino Go w/ Ethernet in the end?

#67 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Will you expect the Netduino Plus 2 to out perform the Netduino Go w/ Ethernet in the end?

It's hard to say. We've designed the Ethernet module for Netduino Go with performance tuning in mind. They should both be quick. Virtualization always incurs some cost so it's hard for a virtualized peripheral to be faster than a native peripheral. Although if we can find ways to offload some of the TCP stack to the STM32F0 on the Ethernet module, that could give it some extra power. That's fairly long-term thinking though. Chis

#68 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Chris, may me it has sense to redesign NGO itself, just make it onboard instead of creating module?

#69 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

And also since it will be more modules in future to make it for example 16 port? 

#70 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

> [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Chris, may me it has sense to redesign NGO itself, just make it onboard instead of creating module?[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]The Netduino Go has the potential to be very cheap, that will go away if you add more components to it.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]> [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]And also since it will be more modules in future to make it for example 16 port? [/color]

That should be solved with the upcoming GoBus Hub.

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]- Ulrik Lunddahl[/color]

#71 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

Ulrik, I 99.99% agree with you :D but particularly ethernet onboard I think could be great +, again this is IMHO

#72 turturis

turturis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

I'll keep you up to date on progress for this Netduino Go accessory as soon as we reach the next milestone... 

Are we near the next milestone?

#73 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Did anybody tried GHI ethernet module?

#74 pdii

pdii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't use a GHI Ethernet module until the Gadgeteer Go Module is released.

#75 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

Looks like this module is SPI

#76 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

Currently waiting on GoBus 1.5 firmware for STM32 (and finalized profiles), to sign off on the Ethernet modules. BTW, you can use the Sytech Ethernet module on a Netduino Go if you dedicate one of the GoBus channels and you recompile the firmware to use the right pins for Ethernet. We did that early on during the developer of Netduino Go. Chris

#77 pdii

pdii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

For guys like me, the suggestion to use 3rd party modules that require recompilation of firmware is a little intimidating.  I'm a .NET SD who loves the idea of being able to tinker in the EE world w/o becoming an expert in it.  I'd rather focus my time and efforts in the .NET world as much as possible.  That is why I bought the Netduino GO.  Getting the GO connected to the outside world makes the GO infinitely more useful, so for me... this would be huge win.

I understand the hesitancy in talking time frames given the history of the Ethernet GO module, but are you getting to a point where you have a rough idea when it might be available?  Do you think it will be ready before the AGENT is released?  Is there a 3 month window when you think it might hit?

A few thoughts:

• I'm half tempted to buy the Netduino Plus 2 for the Ethernet/SD capabilities but I wish there were a shield that would provide GO ports.  Is that an easier problem to solve than getting the Ethernet module working? 
  • What if there were a Netduino GO Plus with an Ethernet/SD port built in?  Would that be any easier to engineer?
  • Given the success you've had with the AGENT's kickstarter project would you consider something similar for the various GO modules to help launch these?  This assumes that:
    • more money would help and
    • that you'd see enough demand to meet whatever monetary goal you needed to hit.
    [/list]

Would any of these ideas be something that would enable getting Ethernet + GO modules to market quicker?

BTW, I feel bad pestering... I realize you've been asked questions like these a number of times... I'm just really interested in getting started with projects that are a little more interesting than blinking an LED or using the Nwazet GO relay to turn things on/off.

Thanks

#78 Krishna Prasad

Krishna Prasad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Is there a Power over Ethernet capability in the works?

Thanks

#79 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

pdii -- for projects that you need to work on now, we always recommend using gear which is available for sale today--so Netduino Plus 2 might be perfect for your application. We have engineering resources working on new accessories for Netduino Go like the Ethernet module and Ambient Light module...but I don't want to set any particular expectations until the new STM32/STM8 firmware is ready and tested and we can make specific commitments. Krishna -- no PoE module in the works right now; for Netduino Go we're focused on creating the new GoBus 1.5 firmware for STM32 (and then STM8), and so we're focusing Netduino engineering resources on software rather than hardware. We'll get back to more new modules after that, but there are quite a few we'd like to build first before addressing something like PoE. A community member could certainly build one though. Chris

#80 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hi Chris, 

Expectations are set when advertising with "Shipping soon".

This can not be taken seriously any more after a full year of waiting.

That is the reality,I mentioned last time remove that sentence from the hardware page.

People not following the process of Go bus 1.5 and 2.0 might get the wrong idea.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Olaf

Van SchOten Ict Diensten en Services
http://www.voids.nl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.