Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Baud rate problem with uLCD 32PT SGC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Coskun

Coskun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

Hi all, Have been playing with 4D's uLCD 32PT (SGC). Everything is fine as long as I work with Baud Rate 9600. My commands work, I can work with the LCD. However, if I want to change the Baud rate (I have to start it with 9600 and then change it later on), I cannot seem to pass above 56000 (56000 itself works). If I set the BR to anything higher than 56000, Netduino Plus and the LCD cannot communicate. The screen is supposed to support up to 256000. What might I be doing wrong? Is it a limitation with the NDP? Port used: COM2 (D2, D3). Thank you in advance. BR.

#2 Coskun

Coskun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

I guess I figured it out by myself. I just had to suspend the thread for 10ms after sending the change baud rate command and before closing the existing connection at 9600. I can go up to 115200 now. Can someone confirm if that is the maximum I can get with a Netduino Plus? BR.

#3 Ralim

Ralim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Not certain if it is the maximum for the netduino, but it is as high as i would go expecting the connection to stay stable. 115200 tends to be the maximum for most devices, so i would say its safe to assume that it is the highest netduino..

#4 Coskun

Coskun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Thank you, Ralim. I understand.

#5 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hi Coskun, I don't know the maximum for the Netduino, but on a previous project I learnt that the ARM uarts generate their baud rates from the main oscillator using a divider. In our case, this meant that we could only generate up to 57600 within tolerance. But, we could go a lot higher with non-standard rates, e.g. 128000 or 256000 were possible as they could be acheived using a "2 to the power of n" divider ratio. So you might find that higher rates do work. Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.