Sprinkler system project - Page 2 - Project Showcase - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Sprinkler system project

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Giuliano,

I think you will be happy with the relays.

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you, just got home from a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean.

I have also used my charger for the HTC Droid Incredible II, it puts out 5vdc and upto 2 amps. I found some OEMs that are in the 5 to 6 dollar range.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, thanks for your reply. Wow a 7-day cruise, that must be awesome.

Thanks for the info on the USB adapter, I will google for it.

One question though, if I get the Netduino Go, do I need to get the Shield Base Module or I can somehow just solder/connect the wires from the relays directly to the Netduino Go?

#22 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hi Chuck, thanks for your reply. Wow a 7-day cruise, that must be awesome.

Thanks for the info on the USB adapter, I will google for it.

One question though, if I get the Netduino Go, do I need to get the Shield Base Module or I can somehow just solder/connect the wires from the relays directly to the Netduino Go?

The cruise was fun, but ate to much, got a little sun burn and drank more than I should have. Now if I could just to a vaction to recover from my vacation. :D

You would need the shield base also to provide the Digital IO (if using a Neduino Go).

If you are going to setup just for the sprinkler control you could use a different board. For instance, the Netduino Plus is about $59.00 but has a micro sd card, 14 DIOs, 6 AIO, power barrel connector (use can supply with 9 or 12vdc) and ethernet built into the one board. You can program a small web program for internet control etc.

A classic Netduino has the IO without the installed SD and Ethernet connection.

Chuck

#23 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

The cruise was fun, but ate to much, got a little sun burn and drank more than I should have. Now if I could just to a vaction to recover from my vacation. :D

You would need the shield base also to provide the Digital IO (if using a Neduino Go).

If you are going to setup just for the sprinkler control you could use a different board. For instance, the Netduino Plus is about $59.00 but has a micro sd card, 14 DIOs, 6 AIO, power barrel connector (use can supply with 9 or 12vdc) and ethernet built into the one board. You can program a small web program for internet control etc.

A classic Netduino has the IO without the installed SD and Ethernet connection.

Chuck

I hear ya! LOL

I currently have a Netduino Plus but my backyard doesn't have an Ethernet port available. Chris recommended me having a Ethernet Bridge hook up to the Netduino Plus but googling around they are around $50+ and they are bulky. Then I saw Stefan's Experimental WiFi project (http://forums.netdui...h__1#entry28563) with the WiFly module (WRL-10822 @ Sparkfun)which is around $35, so I am decided to go with that instead, so I thought why would I use a Netduino Plus for that project if I am not going to use the Ethernet port at all. I can keep my Netduino Plus for doing other projects around the house so it will definitely not go to waste.

In the other hand, if you start adding up the Netduino Go $50 + Shield Base Module $25 + a SD module $XX, then it makes more sense to just use the Netduino Plus for this project. Either way I have to go wireless, so the WiFly is a must have along with the XBee Adapter Module for this particular scenario.

Your thoughts?

Thank you.

#24 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

There are some other ways, wifi maybe if it is not to far from the house. I have used IoGear with the Netduino Plus.IoGear Wifi Adapter You can find them for around $30.00 but I have Amazon prime so I get free 2 day shipping. They are also Wifi N and come with a 5vdc power supply and security protocols.

Also I have used the Western Digital Powerline adapters WD Powerline they come with 2 adapters for about $80.00 but get give you 4 ethernet connection at the remote location that could be used for IP security cameras etc.

Chuck

#25 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

There are some other ways, wifi maybe if it is not to far from the house. I have used IoGear with the Netduino Plus.IoGear Wifi Adapter You can find them for around $30.00 but I have Amazon prime so I get free 2 day shipping. They are also Wifi N and come with a 5vdc power supply and security protocols.

Also I have used the Western Digital Powerline adapters WD Powerline they come with 2 adapters for about $80.00 but get give you 4 ethernet connection at the remote location that could be used for IP security cameras etc.

Chuck

My WiFi works in my backyard, so hopefully the WiFly will be able to see it from there.

I'll take a look at the hardware suggested, hopefully they can work outdoor without an issue. I am most worry about the heat in the summer which can reach about 103°F and in my experience with routers they don't like too much heat, again hopefully the WiFly can handle that heat.

I'll keep you posted.

#26 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

Hi Chuck, I got the 6 relay board on the mail today. I few questions before I fried the board :) My 24VAC transformer has two wires in it. One I have it hooked up to common wire that is share for all the 4 valves. The other goes to this board but I had to split it in 4 wires to go to the four relay. Do I make sense so far? I see In, NO, C and NC on every relay. In is for the digital signal to control relay open and close, right? So where do I hook up the other cable that I splitted from the 24VAC transformer to the relay board, NO, C or NC? And where do I hook the cable that goes back to control every individual valve? I am going to play with the relay board in my office desk first, so I was thinking on using the 5V and one of the 2 GND pins to power the board. Would that be ok or there is not enough amps to run the replay board?

#27 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hi Chuck,

I got the 6 relay board on the mail today. I few questions before I fried the board :)
My 24VAC transformer has two wires in it. One I have it hooked up to common wire that is share for all the 4 valves. The other goes to this board but I had to split it in 4 wires to go to the four relay. Do I make sense so far?

I see In, NO, C and NC on every relay. In is for the digital signal to control relay open and close, right? So where do I hook up the other cable that I splitted from the 24VAC transformer to the relay board, NO, C or NC? And where do I hook the cable that goes back to control every individual valve?

I am going to play with the relay board in my office desk first, so I was thinking on using the 5V and one of the 2 GND pins to power the board. Would that be ok or there is not enough amps to run the replay board?

Not enough power to run the relay board from the 5vdc pin, the In connection goes to the DIOs, make sure you tie the Negative terminal to the ground pin on the Netduino.

1 side of the 24vac transformer and 1 side of the valves get tied together. The other side of the 24vac transformer goest to the relay commons ( C). The other side of the valves should go to the individual Normally Open (NO)connection of the relays.

I will write more when I wake up later this morning, its 4:00am now. Look at the drawing on the Denkovi.com web page for the relay boards.

Good night,
Chuck

#28 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Not enough power to run the relay board from the 5vdc pin, the In connection goes to the DIOs, make sure you tie the Negative terminal to the ground pin on the Netduino.

1 side of the 24vac transformer and 1 side of the valves get tied together. The other side of the 24vac transformer goest to the relay commons ( C). The other side of the valves should go to the individual Normally Open (NO)connection of the relays.

I will write more when I wake up later this morning, its 4:00am now. Look at the drawing on the Denkovi.com web page for the relay boards.

Good night,
Chuck

Thank you so much Chuck

Good thing I asked. I just checked the Devonki site for more info on the relay and it says the following info:

Voltage limits Including ripple VDC 4.7...6.3

It could take a input from 4.7v to 6.3v if I am not missreading. What "including ripple" means?

I a going to look around the house for an adapter that can provide that voltage because I am so excited to try this thing.

#29 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

It works, so awesome !!!

#30 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

It works, so awesome !!!

Of course it does. Congratulations, if you get a chance and don't mind please post some code. I found that people are always willing to post constructive comments on it that may help add additonal features or improvements. It can help you learn a lot.

Sorry I didn't get back to you after I got up yesterday. My nephew decide to make a boat anchor out of my Mac Book Pro (spilled ice tea in it) :angry: (he is still breathing :rolleyes: ).

I took it to the Apple store this morning, they said that they could likely fix it for just $1250.00. I decided to bring it home and strip out the parts, clean and dry them out. They are now sitting in the truck for a day or 2 to bake. It may work when I put it back together.

Whats the next project?
Chuck

#31 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

Of course it does. Congratulations, if you get a chance and don't mind please post some code. I found that people are always willing to post constructive comments on it that may help add additonal features or improvements. It can help you learn a lot.

Sorry I didn't get back to you after I got up yesterday. My nephew decide to make a boat anchor out of my Mac Book Pro (spilled ice tea in it) :angry: (he is still breathing :rolleyes: ).

I took it to the Apple store this morning, they said that they could likely fix it for just $1250.00. I decided to bring it home and strip out the parts, clean and dry them out. They are now sitting in the truck for a day or 2 to bake. It may work when I put it back together.

Whats the next project?
Chuck

Thanks to your help as well as some other cool people like you within this great community.

Absolutely, will do.

In regards to the Macbook Pro, things happen for a reson, Apple is going to release some cool stuff tomorrow, and I think the new MacBook Pro will be one of them. Looking forward to get one for my wife since I didn't get her a gift for Mother's day :D

Don't plug in your mac until is completely dry, then try.

Here are some pics of the project:

#32 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Looks good except for the wad of wires and black tape. :D

A few tie wraps etc will help in the final installation.
Chuck

#33 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Looks good except for the wad of wires and black tape. :D

A few tie wraps etc will help in the final installation.
Chuck

Hi Chuck, I just saw this post:

http://forums.netdui...h__1#entry24370

And he is using this relay that can be powered from the Netduino itself, have to play with it?

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

#34 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Hi Chuck, I just saw this post:

http://forums.netdui...h__1#entry24370

And he is using this relay that can be powered from the Netduino itself, have to play with it?

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

Be carefull;

1. Each relay that is on will pull at least 15 to 20ma. (one thread said 35ma at 5vdc).
2. I did not see where it said what current is pulled by the optical isolator. I any case you have
the current used by the optical isolator and the current that is used by the relay coil.
3. The Denkovi relay is routed to provide additional isolation between the coil and the relays
outputs.
4. Either relay should work fine, but I still would not power the relay (especially the >2 relay
version) from the Netduino. If use do watch the regulator temperature and provide adequate
ventilation.
5. Sprinkler systems are notoriuos for getting bit by lightning (in Florida at least) the better the
isolation the more like it is to survive the storms. (the Sainsmart has optical isolation, but
separate power may save the Netduino)

Chuck

#35 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

Be carefull;

1. Each relay that is on will pull at least 15 to 20ma. (one thread said 35ma at 5vdc).
2. I did not see where it said what current is pulled by the optical isolator. I any case you have
the current used by the optical isolator and the current that is used by the relay coil.
3. The Denkovi relay is routed to provide additional isolation between the coil and the relays
outputs.
4. Either relay should work fine, but I still would not power the relay (especially the >2 relay
version) from the Netduino. If use do watch the regulator temperature and provide adequate
ventilation.
5. Sprinkler systems are notoriuos for getting bit by lightning (in Florida at least) the better the
isolation the more like it is to survive the storms. (the Sainsmart has optical isolation, but
separate power may save the Netduino)

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, this is great info that I've never thought about.

#36 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

A question just popped up in my mind. Now that I have full control of the relays thru software, what about if I turn 2 zones on at the same time, water pressure will be less because now the water pressure will be divided in two zones. Not that I really want to do that but would the 24 VAC transformer be able to handle it? What about if I go crazy and turn on all the zones at once? Is this an amp limitation? Thanks

#37 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:28 AM

A question just popped up in my mind. Now that I have full control of the relays thru software, what about if I turn 2 zones on at the same time, water pressure will be less because now the water pressure will be divided in two zones. Not that I really want to do that but would the 24 VAC transformer be able to handle it? What about if I go crazy and turn on all the zones at once? Is this an amp limitation?

Thanks

Let's see, California, Go crazy, No Problem :P

Depends on the solenoid valve (current draw) and the output capacity of the transformer. The power available form the transformer is normally marked as watts or amps. The solenoids may have current marked on them or may be available online. If not measure with a multi-meter.

Most can handle more then one zone at a time. Some pull very little current, I have one that I use to water my tomato and pepper plant that has been running for at least 3 months twice a day (15 minutes each) for over 3 months on a single 9 volt battery.

If all else fails and you try 2 at one time check the transformer temperture for a while if it is hot to touch (slightly warm is okay, don't touch the primary side, high voltage) then it is most likely overloaded.

Chuck

#38 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Let's see, California, Go crazy, No Problem :P

Depends on the solenoid valve (current draw) and the output capacity of the transformer. The power available form the transformer is normally marked as watts or amps. The solenoids may have current marked on them or may be available online. If not measure with a multi-meter.

Most can handle more then one zone at a time. Some pull very little current, I have one that I use to water my tomato and pepper plant that has been running for at least 3 months twice a day (15 minutes each) for over 3 months on a single 9 volt battery.

If all else fails and you try 2 at one time check the transformer temperture for a while if it is hot to touch (slightly warm is okay, don't touch the primary side, high voltage) then it is most likely overloaded.

Chuck

Thanks for the information Chuck, really good to know about this.

I noticed that when I reset the Netduino + (I don't know if this happens with the N Go as well) all the relays get turned on by default, is that the right behaviour and how to fix that? I don't want all my zones going at once after a power outage.

#39 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

I noticed that when I reset the Netduino + (I don't know if this happens with the N Go as well) all the relays get turned on by default, is that the right behaviour and how to fix that? I don't want all my zones going at once after a power outage.

his may be a better question for Chris, but I will take a stab at it. If you look in the information for the Go and the shield base, the board starts up with the modules de-powered, the pins also have the ability to enable either a pull up or pull down resistor.

This discussed here on the forum somewhere. Startup IO state

Chuck

#40 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

his may be a better question for Chris, but I will take a stab at it. If you look in the information for the Go and the shield base, the board starts up with the modules de-powered, the pins also have the ability to enable either a pull up or pull down resistor.

This discussed here on the forum somewhere. Startup IO state

Chuck

Thanks for the information provided Chuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.