Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Support for I2C clock holding by slave device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

I am looking at using a netduino to test a slave I2C device that is being developed for us. We currently have a problem where the slave holds the clock line of the I2C bus low because it is busy, and subsequently the clock gets stuck low for an extended period of time. (The concept of holding the clock low is a standard one to allow the slave to process bytes already received.) Something has gone wrong, but it is not clear why. Hence I wanted to use a different master device with known working firmware to run some tests. My question is: Does the I2C implementation in the netduino support the remote slave device holding the clock while it is busy? I ask because the company developing the I2C slave device say their own test device does not support this. Thanks - Paul

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hello Paul. The I2C bus management is done directly by the Atmel MCU: I guess there's no much firmware involved in it. Thus, the "clock stretching" feature (as the Atmel calls it) should be fully supported. Hope it helps. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hello Paul.
The I2C bus management is done directly by the Atmel MCU: I guess there's no much firmware involved in it. Thus, the "clock stretching" feature (as the Atmel calls it) should be fully supported.
Hope it helps.
Cheers

I had hoped that would be the case.

Thanks Mario

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.