Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Beginner question: How to power servo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

Dear Netduino-Community, I just finnished school, and to be a real grad, you have to forget everything after your final exam :P No, just kidding, but i want to order a Netduino Plus in the next few days and I have a project idea in mind in which i have to power 2 servos. After reading through quite a lot of threads i often heard of things like "Use external powering" and "Dont use the Netduinos V5" etc. To do this faver to my Netduino, i wanted to power this 2 servos (needing 5V) from an 9V battery (or some other power source different to 5V). Still remebering Ohm's law and Kirchhoff, I though of something like this: Battery -> Resistor -> 2 Servos (parallel) -> Back to Battery. Am I right? Now my problem is: How many Ohm must my resistor have? I only know my Servos need 4,6 - 6 V... Thank you for your help, Markus

NeonMika.Webserver
> Control your N+ and write webservice methods easyily
> Receive data from you N+ (in XML or JSON)
> Browse the SD on your N+ directly in the browser and d
own - and upload files

If you need help with NeonMika.Webserver, please just leave a note in the thread and/or contact me via Skype :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- Mistakes teach you important lessons. Every time you make one, you are one step closer to your goal. ----
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

I want only say that: - the resistor is the worst way to regulate the power; - a 9V battery probably will have a short duration. Usually the servo have a double-bridge driver, PWM controlled, being able to regulate the power without having to choose a certain battery. Moreover, using the PWM way to regulate the power, the life of the battery is much longer: the energy waste is minimal. Anyway, there are several guys, much addicted than me about the servo usage. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for your replie. Regarding the resistor: We just learned the electronic basics in physics, an i remembered something called "Voltage divider" and so i went to wikipedia and thought this could work... http://en.wikipedia....Voltage_divider Regarding PWM: I know that a servo has 3 wires: VCC - powering the servo, GND and the control-wire - handeld with PWM... I could connect the VCC to the V5 of the Netduino, GND to GND, and control the PWM with Pin 5... But I shouldn't use the V5, so i really would appreciate, if someone could help me to understand how to power the servo external. Greets, Markus

NeonMika.Webserver
own - and upload files

If you need help with NeonMika.Webserver, please just leave a note in the thread and/or contact me via Skype :)

--- Mistakes teach you important lessons. Every time you make one, you are one step closer to your goal. ----

#4 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:46 AM

You are right about the Kirchhoff equations, as long the Ohm's law and all the rest. The resistor is a component which its goal is *only* to transform the electric energy to heating energy: nothing else. Unless you have to warm up your water for cooking the spaghetti, a resistor is wasting energy! Ohm stated that the voltage across a resistor is the current multiplied by the resistor value. So, the higher is the current, the higher will be the voltage drop. The voltage-divider works, but the resulting value keeps "stable" as long you don't suck current from it, otherwise the voltage changes. If your servo is running free the current will be low, but when it require a bit of torque, the required current will increase. That's the way the voltage of a servo won't be stable using a simple resistor. I don't know what is the typical usage of the servo: you should best choose several models, then buy the right one. You should first know what's the average/max current required for the servos. It's also true that you should avoid to connect loads requiring enough current to the Netduino supply. BUT...you may have another supply. For example, you may use a AA-battery pack (total 6V) to power the servos only. However, this depends on the servo specifications. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#5 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:06 AM

I don't really like spaghetti, so i think a resistor is really not what i need :P Ok, changing current results in different voltage drop at the resistor sounds logical. And that the current will change between idle and moving is also clear. So nobody could answer my question "How many Ohm must my resitor have", because nobody knows the actual current that will flow... Just for example, lets say I have the following servo: http://www.produktin...05_Graupner.pdf There is nothing sayed about avg/max current. But your idea with the AA-battery pack is great... Probably one of the easiest things to do is to use a 4x battery pack, resulting in 6V, and just to connect the servo to this pack, right? No need to reduce the current etc. But, just because I'm interessed to learn as much as i can, how could I use 9V battery to power a consumer (for example my servo) that needs an input voltage of 6V? You said, it doesnt work with a simple resistor. But there has to be another way to get it working ;) Thanks, Markus

NeonMika.Webserver
own - and upload files

#6 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

In addition to what Mario said, you can use fixed voltage regulator (7805, 7806) or adjustable regulator (LM117) to power the servo. They require a little bit higher supply voltage (VIN ≥ VOUT + Vdrop, Vdrop = ~2 - 3V, see the datasheet), but they provide regulated output and additional features like short-circuit or thermal overload protection. There are also variants in smaller packages (with lower output current), lower dropout voltage etc.

#7 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:19 AM

I don't really like spaghetti, so i think a resistor is really not what i need :P

For lowering the voltage, using resistors aren't the best choice, I have to agree with Mario about that. You asked for advise, now you get it! :)

CW2 is right that using voltage regulators are a better way. Also generate the remainder power in heat, but it's working is actually quite different.

Try this:
Put a resistor against a power source, what will happen with the current? It'll stay the same. Only the amps will get lower.
So you actually didn't control the voltage but the amperes.

Now do the same with a voltage regulator. You can guess the result ;)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#8 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:31 AM

... you can use fixed voltage regulator (7805, 7806) or adjustable regulator (LM117) to power the servo ...

Great! The last day I dug a little deeper and this is really a nice way. Thank you for the advice.

You asked for advise, now you get it! :)

That's why I really like this community! I rarely see unanswered topics here, you really try to help =)

Try this:
Put a resistor against a power source, what will happen with the current? It'll stay the same. Only the amps will get lower.
So you actually didn't control the voltage but the amperes.

Now do the same with a voltage regulator. You can guess the result ;)

I'll ask: The voltage will drop? :P

Now I understand the useage of a resistor and know that there are things like voltage regualtors.

So there is one last question I have regarding servo control:
When I connect the servo to a battery pack and send the PWM signal from my Netduino, where do I have to link the GND? Back to the batteries + AND to the netduinos GND?

So it's 3.30am, have to go to bed now, good night :)

NeonMika.Webserver
own - and upload files

#9 Henry_Jones

Henry_Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

So there is one last question I have regarding servo control:
When I connect the servo to a battery pack and send the PWM signal from my Netduino, where do I have to link the GND? Back to the batteries + AND to the netduinos GND?

Yes, you have to connect GND from your servo power source and the GND from the netduino power source. Otherwise the signal sent to the servo has no valid reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.