Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

.NET micro Framework device

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

Hello Netduino community, I search for a more powered device needed for a new project (IPv6 network project), I would like to use multiple netduino (when it will be ethernet ready), and one of that device, Here is the needed features : - .NET micro framework ready - 1MB of flash or more, same for RAM - Firmware open source, because I need to write some native code for performance and low level network features. - Ethernet, enc28j60 prefered, because of lwIP compatibility I found a lot of devices, but I don't know if the firmware are open source or not :blink: Thanks in advance, Pascal

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

Perhaps we should build a Netduino "Ultra" with MBs of on-board RAM/FLASH and on-board Ethernet? Chris

#3 Steven Behnke

Steven Behnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

Perhaps we should build a Netduino "Ultra" with MBs of on-board RAM/FLASH and on-board Ethernet?

Chris

Sounds like a good idea to me.

#4 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

Perhaps we should build a Netduino "Ultra" with MBs of on-board RAM/FLASH and on-board Ethernet?

Chris

YES! I love it. I'd buy that, Now that I have convinced my parents that this isn't stupid! I know right? Who would think such a thing. But anyways that would be awesome... built in ethernet would kick arduino's butt.

#5 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

Chris

It would be perfect !!!! + EEPROM :rolleyes:

Escpecialy if the Ethernet is compatible with lwIP,

Pascal

#6 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

It would be perfect !!!! + EEPROM :rolleyes:

Escpecialy if the Ethernet is compatible with lwIP,

Pascal

I will admit I'd love to see a small EEPROM. The rest I don't think are really necessary (I mean the netduino already has a crapload of memory and flash compared to the arduino) not that I'd say "no" if there's more - more is (almost) always better! Onboard ethernet I think is unnecessary as long as its supported in the firmware - there are too many projects that won't use ethernet to warrant having it on the board. As long as its in firmware it can be "aftermarket".

However, if you are seriously considering an "ultra" style board I wouldn't say no to more GPIO pins. :)

#7 Steven Behnke

Steven Behnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

I believe Chris already said they are working on exposing some EEPROM along side the SD card support, but I'll let him clarify that.

#8 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

I will admit I'd love to see a small EEPROM. The rest I don't think are really necessary (I mean the netduino already has a crapload of memory and flash compared to the arduino) not that I'd say "no" if there's more - more is (almost) always better! Onboard ethernet I think is unnecessary as long as its supported in the firmware - there are too many projects that won't use ethernet to warrant having it on the board. As long as its in firmware it can be "aftermarket".

However, if you are seriously considering an "ultra" style board I wouldn't say no to more GPIO pins. :)

Considering Ethernet feature is already avalaible on the ship ... Why not to have the possibily to use it ? Perhaps, to be open, just make the pins available to connect a magjack in case of you want to use it and the corresponding firmware.

Pascal

#9 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

Ultra board should be ultra! more pins and more memory isnt bad. on-board ethernet is useful any time! I say yes to all these Ideas, although best would be more I/O pins

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

On the topic of EEPROM--are you wanting actual EEPROM (read/write tons of times) or just a few KB of on-board storage for ocassional use? Chris

#11 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

On the topic of EEPROM--are you wanting actual EEPROM (read/write tons of times) or just a few KB of on-board storage for ocassional use?

Chris

In my case, currently, it's just to have persistant information like IP address ... So just a few KB of on-board storage would be suffisant.

Pascal

#12 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

On the topic of EEPROM--are you wanting actual EEPROM (read/write tons of times) or just a few KB of on-board storage for ocassional use?

Chris

Chris, when you say that, do you plan to use other feature than ExtendedWeakReference ?

#13 phantomtypist

phantomtypist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

Chris

Definitely! I would like a Netduion version that has more memory, a few more GPIO pins, and an SD card support on the PCB.

And if it isn't too much to ask for, an ethernet port on the PCB would be nice!

Great job so far!

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Chris, when you say that, do you plan to use other feature than ExtendedWeakReference ?

Maybe. We've left about 16KB of space for a pre-bootloader on the Netduino...and we're evaluating if we can squeeze it into 8KB and leave 8KB for data (ExtendedWeakReference or a "permanent" 8KB byte array).

Basically, what that would enable is the ability to write data directly into the Netduino's FLASH memory. We'd have to work out details--and we'd probably have to allocate it as 8KB total space. But then if we have SD shield support, that takes away much of the requirement as well.

BTW, there's a "configuration" sector on the Netduino. That's where .NET MF stores the IP/MAC settings for lwIP, etc. You may be able to sneak some data in there as well (although updating firmware will probably wipe out any data you write there).

Chris

#15 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:05 AM

Chris - 1K of space is MORE than enough. For IP networking you need a minimum of 96 bits (IP address, mask and default gateway). A few more bytes available to be able to do things like save ports and such if you're trying to write a netduino server that things can connect to and you're golden. So really you only need about, oh, say 24 bytes of space for all your IP networking needs. Oh, maybe a few extra bytes so you can override your MAC address or create virtual MACs so you can give your netduino multiple IP addresses. This ignores IPv6 mind you. You need more space for that.

#16 stacyh3

stacyh3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:14 AM

My 2 cents, I like the idea of a variety of boards. If I need Ethernet in my project, I'd choose that one. If not, then I'd choose the base model. Some things can be done with "shields", but having them integrated is cleaner and smaller. Stacy

#17 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Just thought of something else I'd love to see - a couple of power pins for the netduino itself. I'd like to be able to power it with LiPo batteries using a JST connector, but just a a couple of power input pins I can work with. :) (no, I don't want to have to hook a barrel connector up to the battery if possible).

#18 Szymon

Szymon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationPoland, Krakow

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

Just thought of something else I'd love to see - a couple of power pins for the netduino itself. I'd like to be able to power it with LiPo batteries using a JST connector, but just a a couple of power input pins I can work with. :)

(no, I don't want to have to hook a barrel connector up to the battery if possible).

If I understand you are thinking about something like with Arduino Pro?
http://www.sparkfun....roducts_id=9221

And similar with Arduino Fio (it even has LiPo charger built-in):
http://www.sparkfun....roducts_id=9712

#19 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

If I understand you are thinking about something like with Arduino Pro?
http://www.sparkfun....roducts_id=9221

And similar with Arduino Fio (it even has LiPo charger built-in):
http://www.sparkfun....roducts_id=9712

A faster processor would be nice. After reading CW2's writeup about how it's currently not quite fast enough to really do all the one-wire stuff (among others) even in C++ native code. Come on, you guys can beat the FEZ can't you? :)

#20 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

A faster processor would be nice. After reading CW2's writeup about how it's currently not quite fast enough to really do all the one-wire stuff (among others) even in C++ native code. Come on, you guys can beat the FEZ can't you? :)

For my point of view, OneWire issue is not related to processor speed. It's more related to C# latency inducted. So, the solution, like other vendors, is to provide a OneWire feature in native code and a library in C# to use it.

I use onewire with a AVR 328p at 8 Mhz !!!

My 0.2cents,
Pascal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.