Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

SimpleNGen 1.0

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

The code is attached to posting #2 on this topic so you can just get it there. I would prefer to keep a git repository somewhere public, but I don't know what the hip kids use. Is it github? I'd be happy to do whatever you guys recommend.

I'm partial to Mercurial, but all the hip kids use github. A lot of this depends on the licensing model you choose. GitHub is free for FOSS, for everything else they charge. I'd offer to host it on my server, but the management headaches (granting write access to people would be a bit of a pain).

As Jonny pointed out, CodePlex is also an option, but I'm not sure on what mechanisms they allow for getting code in/out are. I know they support the TFS protocol and have an SVN bridge, but other than that I'm not sure.

Just as a side note, I don't know what source code control solution your using right now for other projects, but I was a die hard SVN fan until I discovered DVCS (distributed version control system, Git and Mercurial are a DVCS). It has totally changed how I develop. Before I would write a feature, then commit.

Now I write code, commit to my local repository with a comment; write more code, commit to local repository with a new comment; repeat. And when I'm done writing the feature, I push my changes up to the master repository. This has the great benefit of more targeted commit, less monolithic commits. Plus it allows me to go off on code tangents knowing I can very easily get back to a known state. </evangelizing> :-)

#22 Corey Kosak

Corey Kosak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

Just as a side note, I don't know what source code control solution your using right now for other projects,

My source code control philosophy can be summarized as: "I'll give up my git when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

#23 Corey Kosak

Corey Kosak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:20 AM

Those following this thread may be interested in SimpleNGen 1.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.