Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Plus 2 Firmware v4.3.1

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 catherine

catherine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Firmware updated & working with VS 2013, thank you! :)

#62 mbargar13

mbargar13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hi mbargar13,

Very interesting. In theory the app should show boards as "ST device in DFU mode" if matching firmware is not present...but there may be some combination of folder movements which causes the device to not appear at all. If you have some free time and can let us know exactly how the files were re-arranged...we'd love to eliminate that as an edge case for future users.

On DFU files...if you ever want to create a DFU file (to flash the manual way), use ST's "DFU File Manager" program. It can convert each of the .S19 files to .DFU files for you.

I'm really glad this is working now for you (with the update app unzipped the default way). If you run into any other issues, please let us know. And if you have time to give us more feedback on the manually-moved-folders issue, thank you a bunch in advance.

Chris

Here is a few screen caps of the folder structure. The FLASH folder has the NetduinoUpdate.exe file. I have expanded the windows explorer view to show all of the subfolders as well. Hope that helps.

Attached Files

#63 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hi mbargar13,

Oh wow, you did move things around :)

Is this in an Administrator/system folder (like Program Files) or a data folder?

NetduinoUpdate looks for the "Firmware" folder in its folder, and then firmware inside its subfolders. So I can see now for sure why it didn't find the files...I'm just not sure why it didn't show the devices. I'm guessing that we're "gracefully degrading" when we can't find our own folder structure...but we should really change that so that it gives better user feedback.

Thanks again,

Chris

#64 whitecap

whitecap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

Hi There,

Something happened to my Netduino Plus2 today - it became completely unresponsive during a debug session. I had been using it with Win8.1, FW V 4.3.1 and VS2013 successfully  - until today.

I tried following the instructions to reload the 4.3.1 software but didn't get very far. The application NetduinoUpdate.exe appears to do nothing when I double click it. So I started MFDeploy and it too sees nothing - no board at all.

I then started the STM DFuSe application and it also reports nothing - again, no board at all. Under ->computer devices-> USB I can still see the Netduino driver. At this point I am at a loss as to what to do.

Any help would be appreciated. This is the second Netduino plus2 where I have encountered this problem. To resolve the previous problem I bought a new Netduino. But I don't want to keep doing that.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Mike 

#65 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:40 AM

Hi Mike,

If your board appears as "Netduino" in Device Manager, then it isn't in bootloader mode. You'll want to switch it to bootloader mode to be able to reflash it via Netduino Update.

Please do the following:
1. Power down your Netduino Plus 2.
2. Hold down the pushbutton on your Netduino Plus 2.
3. Plug your Netduino Plus 2 into your PC. It should show up in Device Manager as "ST Device..."

Then please download and unzip the latest firmware (including Netduino Update) to a folder on your desktop. Unzip the zip file and then run NetduinoUpdate.exe.

Does that get you back on track?

Chris

#66 whitecap

whitecap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much. It is now working.

One problem I had may be related to Win8.1. When I run the NetduinoUpdate.exe app it appears to do nothing i.e. I double click on it and nothing at all happens. I have to right click on the app and select 'Run with Graphics Processor' and then select the PC's graphics card... then it works. Go figure.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Regards

Mike

#67 thajesta

thajesta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hi Chris,

I try to upgrade my Netduino Plus 2 to v4.3.1 (it's currently running 4.3.0), but I can't get the updater to recognise my board.

The Deployment Tool, DFU-tester and DFY-demo tool do recognise the board.

I've already reinstalled the .Net MF SDK 4.3.1 & Netduino SDK 4.3.1 and rebooted my computer, but nothing seems to work.

I tried it on another computer, but same result :-(

Do you have any tips for me to get it work?

Kind Regard,

Hans

#68 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

Hi Hans,

Try unzipping the updater to a folder on your desktop. Make sure that the Firmware folder is there. And then run NetduinoUpdate.exe.

If you can't see your mainboard (but STDFU can see it), double-check that you're running the version of STDFU tools recommended in the firmware update post. And finally...double-check that Windows hasn't marked the executable as "non-local" code ("untrusted" in file properties for the .EXE)...sometimes that happens when an assembly is copied from a network drive.

Does that get you up and running with the updater?

Chris

#69 alesbedac

alesbedac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hi all

i have a problem with new FW 4.3.1.0, very often is not possible to online debug application.

In the program code is only changing the state of LED.

The is the output window result :

Waiting for device to initialize...
The debugging target and the debugger engine failed to initialize because of unspecified device errors.
The debugger engine thread has terminated unexpectedly with error 'Could not reconnect to the debugging target after rebooting it.'.

For some time is helpfull FW update. then the same APP is working. Only reset App is not sollution, its not working all time.

Does anybody has idea where is a problem ?

P.S. When i am inserting SD card LED is not changind the state........but i am not using any SD card operations.

#70 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

Forgive me if I state the obvious.

Try these:
* Remove the USB lead from the Netduino and reinsert.
* Restart Visual Studio
* Reinstall the Netduino firmware

Also if you're using Debug.Print that can jam things up. Or doing intensive loops (put in a Thread.Sleep(1000)).

I am using Visual Studio 2013 with the experimental drivers/software which works better for me than VS2012.

Jack

#71 alesbedac

alesbedac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

Forgive me if I state the obvious.

Try these:
* Remove the USB lead from the Netduino and reinsert.
* Restart Visual Studio
* Reinstall the Netduino firmware

Also if you're using Debug.Print that can jam things up. Or doing intensive loops (put in a Thread.Sleep(1000)).

I am using Visual Studio 2013 with the experimental drivers/software which works better for me than VS2012.

Jack

I have teste on Windows 8 with VS2012, there is tha same project working. I am going to test Visual Studio 2013 with the experimental drivers/software. Because reinstall PC is not possible...takes to much time for me.

#72 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

I have teste on Windows 8 with VS2012, there is tha same project working. I am going to test Visual Studio 2013 with the experimental drivers/software. Because reinstall PC is not possible...takes to much time for me.

I wouldn't reinstall my PC either. Just uninstall the .net Micro Framework SDK and Netduino SDK.

#73 cce1911

cce1911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

It took me too many hours to figure out that you can't boot up both devices at the same time. You have to boot theEdimax 60 seconds before powering up the N+2.

#74 alesbedac

alesbedac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

I wouldn't reinstall my PC either. Just uninstall the .net Micro Framework SDK and Netduino SDK.

I did it. But the bug is still there

#75 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hi alesbedac,

Would you be willing to install a copy of VS2010 Express on your PC, and see if the debug issue happens there? If we can isolate it and reproduce it (i.e. it works with VS2010 but not VS2012/VS2013), then I can coordinate with the NETMF team to analyze it for a bug fix.

The 4.3 SDK (on the PC) changed/optimized some of the debug timings...and I'm guessing this is what is tripping up your installation.

Chris

#76 600mL

600mL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hi Chris,

I don't know if this has been asked before, but do you know when support for larger SD cards will be available. I am assuming that the hardware can support addressing cards larger than 2GB?

#77 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:14 AM

Hi 600mL,

NETMF was designed to support SD cards (rather than SDHC cards that are >2GB in size).

There were some patches done in recent versions of NETMF that potentially enabled support for some larger cards--but at this time 2GB is the officially-recommended size.

Chris

#78 whitecap

whitecap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Hi There,

I am running Windows 8, VS 2012 Premium, Netduino 4.3.1.

If I simply create an application that attempts to use the Secret PWM library (see below)... during deploy I get a message that the PC no longer recognizes the USB device. From that point the only recourse I have is to take the Netduino back to 'bare metal' and reload everything. Other than PWM all the other applications I load on the device seem to work without problem.

Is there some issue with the Secret PWM library or is it something I am doing? I have several Netduinos and they all behave the same way.

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards

Mike

using System;
using System.Net;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus;

namespace TestProject
{
    public class Program
    {
        public static void Main()
        {
             //write your code here
            SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM servo = new SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D2);
           etc.

#79 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hi whitecap,

Try connecting to the board with MFDeploy (ctrl+f5), rebooting it, and then pressing PING. Do you see an error during boot? It's possible that there's a version mismatch or something similar going on.

Chris

#80 whitecap

whitecap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot do what you suggested. When I deploy this one line application referencing PWM... during the deploy Windows pops up a message saying:  

"The last device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it"

After that, MFDeploy will not see the board again until I reload the board with 4.3.1. All of my Netduinos (5) behave the same way. I guess it could be my PC. When this first happened I uninstalled everything (VS2012, MF framework SDK, Secret SDK) and re-installed it all. But the problem continued.

Could I use the MS PWM library instead? Can you think of any other troubleshooting approaches?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.