Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Which WIFI Module/Breakout

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andre Trollip

Andre Trollip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationGauteng, South Africa

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hi Guys, I have a Netduino Plus. What would be the best module/breakout to use for connecting to a wireless LAN? Basically, when the Netduino powers on, I want it to get an IP using DHCP and then be able to receive multicast UDP (or maybe Tcp, still not decided). Thanks guys.

#2 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hi Galibore

I have been thinking about doing something similar.
I found that most of the shields or modules are quite expensive, but there are quite a few ethernet to wifi adapters that appear to be afordable.
You may get a simple & cheap solution if you go that way.
As an example (not a recomendation) I was looking at using one of these on amazon.
My link

Have fun - Paul

#3 Andre Trollip

Andre Trollip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationGauteng, South Africa

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

That's something I didn't even think about... Using a converter. But I need something small and pref PCB mount. I don't need anything more than a breakout with a UART interface. No need for extra IO pins or I2C or anything fancy. Just a network stack and a serial interface. But alas, most modules are very expensive, relatively speaking.

#4 Anny

Anny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hi Guys,
I have a Netduino Plus. What would be the best module/breakout to use for connecting to a wireless LAN?
Basically, when the Netduino powers on, I want it to get an IP using DHCP and then be able to receive multicast UDP (or maybe Tcp, still not decided).
Thanks guys.

You can check WhizNets WiFi modules. They have low cost WiFi modules available.

#5 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

You can check WhizNets WiFi modules. They have low cost WiFi modules available.

Hi Anny,

do you know if there are netduino resources for those already?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#6 Anny

Anny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

Hi Anny,

do you know if there are netduino resources for those already?

Hi Stefan,

I have used their AVR based development platform. As far as I know they support all kind of platforms and toolchain. Why don't you check with them once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.