Netduino 2 Firmware v4.3.1 - Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino 2 Firmware v4.3.1

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:23 AM

Version: 4.3.1 (version 4.3.1.0)

Updates in this release
1. .NET MF 4.3 QFE1 bugfixes
2. .NET MF 4.3 bugfixes
3. Bug fix: SPI bugfixes for clock 'idle high' and other SPI issues
4. New BitConverter class

Pre-requisites for this firmware
1. Visual Studio 2012 (or Visual Studio 2013).
2. .NET Micro Framework v4.3 QFE1 SDK or newer
3. Netduino 4.3.1 SDK or newer

How to flash this firmware
1. Detach your Netduino from your computer to turn it off.
2. Press and hold your Netduino's pushbutton while plugging it in via USB; this will put it in bootloader mode.
3. Run the attached Netduino Update tool.
a. If your device does not appear, install the STDFU drivers + tools v3.0.3.
b. If your device appears as "STM Device in DFU Mode", click on "Options", select your board type from the Product selection box and close the Options window.
4. Select the checkbox next to your device and press "Upgrade"
5. Wait while the upgrade operation completes. After flashing, your Netduino will reboot and will be removed from the upgrade list.

How to find your current version of Netduino firmware
1. Go to the Start Menu > Programs > Microsoft .NET Micro Framework 4.3
2. Run MFDeploy.
3. Plug your Netduino into your PC using a Micro USB cable.
4. In the Device section at top, select USB instead of Serial. Your Netduino should appear in the drop-down; if not, select it.
5. Select the Target menu > Device Capabilities option.
6. In the output box, find the "SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion" value. This is your firmware version.

Enjoy, and please let us know if you run into any troubles.

Chris

Attached Files

Edited by Chris Walker, 27 February 2014 - 06:49 AM.
Refreshed attachment to Netduino Update v1.0.1.

#2 asciiman

asciiman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

hi

What is the NetduinoUpdate.exe in "Netduino Firmware Update 4.3.1.0" folder

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

Hi asciiman,

What is the NetduinoUpdate.exe in "Netduino Firmware Update 4.3.1.0" folder

Netduino Update is our new streamlined utility for upgrading Netduino firmware. It currently works with STM32-based Netduinos, and replaces the older STDFU and DFUSE utilities. Chris

#4 Stanislav Husár

Stanislav Husár

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Hi,

I have downloaded Netduino update tool. It didn´t show me Netduino, so I installed STDFU. Now Netduino update tool crashes immediately after running it.

BTW I have tried running Visual Studio to test Netduino. It has some weird behaviour. When I run WDExpress.exe, it shows its splash screen, but that screen disappears in a second or so. Then, WDExpress.exe continues running without any visible window. I don´t know why this happens, I have reinstalled Windows today.

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hi Stanislav, What version of STDFU did you install? What version of Windows are you running? And 32-bit or 64-bit? Have you tried rebooting? I know that sounds silly, but... Finally: if you run "DFUSE Demonstrator" (from the STDFU installer), does it also crash when it opens? Chris

#6 Stanislav Husár

Stanislav Husár

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

Hi Chris,

1)I have installed STDFU 3.0.3 from the link above in this thread, Windows 7 64bit.

2)I had shuted down system to update it. Then, after powering on, it wanted to finish updates, failed, so it was rolling back changes. Then, I logged in to Windows account. I tried starting Visual Studio, and Netduino update tool.again, both the same behaviour.

3)STDFU programs both started correctly, and recognize Netduino board, if it is in bootloader mode.

#7 Stanislav Husár

Stanislav Husár

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

I have tried to flash Netduino firmware using Netduino updater on another computer. Succeeded. Then, I tried deploying a simple blink program to test Netduino. Everything worked.

#8 gismo

gismo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Up and running with my N2! Just getting used to VS2012...

Installation is pretty straight forward. VS2012 prompted/required a hotfix for Win7x64.

#9 Stanislav Husár

Stanislav Husár

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hi,

So, I really don´t know, what I have changed, but it works :)

#10 asciiman

asciiman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

hi 
I try old style frimware update.

Start DFUTester and

a. Select the "Protocol" tab
   b. Press the "Create from Map" button
   c. Select the "Erase" radio button option
   d. Press the "Go" button
   e. Wait for erase process to complete

and then start DFU Demonstration

a. Locate the "Upgrade or Verify Action" pane (bottom-right pane)
b. Press "Choose..." and select the DFU file
z. dfu file is absent :P

Okey 
I try new style

1. Detach your Netduino from your computer to turn it off.
2. Press and hold your Netduino's pushbutton while plugging it in via USB; this will put it in bootloader mode.
3. Run the attached Netduino Update tool.
a. If your device does not appear, install the STDFU drivers + tools v3.0.3. (allready installed)
b. If your device appears as "STM Device in DFU Mode", click on "Options", select your board type from the Product selection box and close the Options window.
z. I cant select any board and It say 2 more times :)))

Must i install firmware 4.2.2 and re instal 4.3 ?

Attached Files

#11 sfugarino

sfugarino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:36 AM

Had VS 2013 installed, but .NET MF SDK still required VS 2012. Rest of the update went as advertised. Very simple.

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

Hi asciiman,  

I cant select any board and It say 2 more times :)))

Can you re-download the ZIP file and unzip it again? It looks like you may be missing the "firmware" directory and its contents. Netduino Update dynamically reads in the available update files (which is awesome for commercial customers who want to customize the process and flash large #s of devices). If it can't find any available firmware images (or associated XML files which describe the available board types), then that pull-down will most likely be blank. Chris P.S. If you want to use the backup STDFU method... 1. Open up "DFU File Manager" (from the ST DFU tools you installed). 2. Select "Generate a DFU file". 3. Enter the Product ID and Vendor ID shown in the DfuSe Demonstration tool (which are retrieved from your Netduino the tool detects an ST DFU device). 4. Click on the "S19 or HEX" button, and select the first .S19 (Motorola SREC HEX) file from the respective NetduinoUpdate firmware directory. 5. Then click the "Generate..." button to convert that .S19 HEX file into a .DFU File. 6. Repeat for all three .S19 files and then use the DfuSe Demonstration tool to flash those to your Netduino gen2 board. Or...use Netduino Update. It's much simpler :)

#13 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hi sfugarino,  

Had VS 2013 installed, but .NET MF SDK still required VS 2012. Rest of the update went as advertised. Very simple.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm glad the firmware update process went smoothly :) BTW, if you want to use VS 2013 (Professional or better), we have an experimental SDK for VS2013 available. Chris

#14 asciiman

asciiman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

hi sir 

I try again but same result.

#15 asciiman

asciiman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:43 AM

is this important  my regional settings is different from english.

#16 asciiman

asciiman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:59 AM

Yes i try

when i change regional settings from turkish to english i can see devices in combobox.

Our region date format    dd[color=rgb(255,0,0);].[/color]MM[color=rgb(255,0,0);].[/color]yyyy   decimal separator "[color=rgb(255,0,0);],[/color]"  thousand separator is "[color=rgb(255,0,0);].[/color]

and  i != I  (i=?) and I = ?

may be helpfull 

#17 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hi asciiman,

Our region date format    dd[color=rgb(255,0,0);].[/color]MM[color=rgb(255,0,0);].[/color]yyyy   decimal separator "[color=rgb(255,0,0);],[/color]"  thousand separator is "[color=rgb(255,0,0);].[/color]
and  i != I  (i=?) and I = ?

Ah yes, that was it. We were effectively using String.Compare(a.ToUpper(), b, StringComparison.Ordinal) instead of String.Compare(a, b, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase)...and the capitalization rules of the local regional settings were mucking with the XML DataReader and thus the importing of firmware files :)

Great catch. Thank you for the excellent detective work and assumptions, asciiman.

I have updated Netduino Update to v1.0.1 and attached a replacement ZIP file to the first post in this thread. I tested it with Turkish regional settings, but please let me know if it works properly for you now (with your local regional settings) as well.

Thank you,

Chris

#18 asciiman

asciiman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

hi sir

I try it and it works properly in my regional settings

#19 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

Hi asciiman,

I try it and it works properly in my regional settings

Awesome.

Thanks again for debugging the Turkish-regional-settings issue!

Chris

#20 dafoink

dafoink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

after installing the SDK on my win8.1 machine, I couldn't find the Netduino templates in VS2013.  I did see them in VS2012, so I copied them to

Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Templates\projectTemplates\Visual C#\Micro Framework\

The templates then appeared in VS2013 but when I try to create a

I get There is a missing project subtype.

Subtype: '{b69e3092-b931-443c-abe7-737b65f2a37f}' is unsupported by this installation.

I am running win8.1 64bit with both VS2012 and VS2013 installed.  And I have a Netduino 2 (not plus) board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.