Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

xikky's Content

There have been 20 items by xikky (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#28384 Battery consumption

Posted by xikky on 01 May 2012 - 08:00 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks Mario Vernari your the best! :) What I wanted to say with "total voltage" is if 9Volts is the right Voltage for the mentioned components. .. again I'm sorry for my noobism xD!

#28380 Battery consumption

Posted by xikky on 01 May 2012 - 06:54 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Can someone tell me how to find the total Voltage and Amps to power up the above components together?

#28352 Battery consumption

Posted by xikky on 30 April 2012 - 04:06 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

No, but I thought a 9V would be good. I'll look for LiPo batteries after work, thanks for mentioning. My main concern is that I'm afraid to burn the components. I may be talking gibberish now, but for a newbie like me on electronics .. that's the first thing that comes to mind. I would be happy if the battery powers for 2hrs plus .. The point of the project is for software development knowledge so I don't need a high end battery but I just need the device to be powered during the project's display.

#28347 Battery consumption

Posted by xikky on 30 April 2012 - 03:07 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have built a project which includes the following components:

Netduino Plus
Joystick + Board
Bluetooth
Accelerometer

My area is in software programming and thus I have no idea how many 9V batteries I need to power up these components together. Can somebody help me on this?

I would also appreciate if you tell me the method/formula used and what to look for.

Thank you!

#25851 Netduino Serial Port Code Review

Posted by xikky on 22 March 2012 - 03:19 PM in Project Showcase

I am sending data from an ADXL345 attached to Netduino to PC, every 20 milliseconds, using Bluetooth communication; through BlueSMiRF Gold. Data is transferred good while debug because code compiles fine without being effected by threading. But when I run the code, data transferred is wrong because during ReadLine(), new data signal is read from DataReceived and thus effecting the buffer. Is there a way around for this?

#25809 Bluetooth Communication

Posted by xikky on 21 March 2012 - 02:45 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hello Netduino Community!

For my personal project, I am trying to communicate between my PC and Netduino, through Bluetooth. Hence I have attached BlueSMiRF Gold to Netduino, and a USB bluetooth dongle which I found laying around in my house, and which I attached to my PC.

When I came to implement the code, I realized that I have no understanding of how this works. I wish you to have some patience and explain to me what I am doing wrong and what I should be doing.

For my bluetooth testing this is what I am doing:

I have deployed this into my netduino:

public class Program
    {
        static SerialPort serial;

public static void Main()
        {
            // initialize the serial port for COM1 (using D0 & D1)
            serial = new SerialPort(SerialPorts.COM1, 115200, Parity.None, 8, StopBits.One);
            // open the serial-port, so we can send & receive data
            serial.Open();
            // add an event-handler for handling incoming data
            serial.DataReceived += new SerialDataReceivedEventHandler(serial_DataReceived);

// wait forever...
            Thread.Sleep(Timeout.Infinite);
        }

static void serial_DataReceived(object sender, SerialDataReceivedEventArgs e)
        {
            // create a single byte array
            byte[] bytes = new byte[32];

// as long as there is data waiting to be read
            while (serial.BytesToRead > 0)
            {
                // read a single byte
                serial.Read(bytes, 0, bytes.Length);
                // send the same byte back
                serial.Write(bytes, 0, bytes.Length);
            }
        }
    }

With this code from above, I am expecting that any data received from the BlueSMiRF is returned back.

I have opened a Windows Application to send data from PC to Netduino through Bluetooth, and this application also receives the data back. This is the code:

public partial class Form1 : Form
    {
        public SerialPort serial;

public Form1()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }

private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            // initialize the serial port for COM1 (using D0 & D1)
            serial = new SerialPort("COM6", 115200, Parity.None, 8, StopBits.One);
            // open the serial-port, so we can send & receive data
            serial.Open();

serial.DataReceived += new SerialDataReceivedEventHandler(serial_DataReceived);
        }

void serial_DataReceived(object sender, SerialDataReceivedEventArgs e)
        {
            // create a single byte array
            byte[] bytes = new byte[32];

// as long as there is data waiting to be read
            while (serial.BytesToRead > 0)
            {
                // read a single byte
                serial.Read(bytes, 0, bytes.Length);

lblRecievedData.Text = bytes.ToString();
            }
        }

private void btnSend_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            System.Text.UTF8Encoding encoding = new System.Text.UTF8Encoding();

byte[] buffer = encoding.GetBytes(txtSendData.Text);

serial.Write(buffer, 0, buffer.Length);
        }
    }

In a summary, this code lets the user fill a Textbox and click Send, to send data to Netduino. In return, Netduino should send the data back and this should be printed in the Label Control.

When I run the above code, the 'Connect' LED on the BlueSMiRF light up Green, so I am guessing that the connection is set up right. Data seems to be sent fine, since on debug, the byte[] buffer is filled appropriately. But the DataReceived Event is never accessed.

Please help me out on this. I searched on the internet, but I only found various ways to code Netduino to Send and Receive data through bluetooth. But not what to code to send data to Netduino from PC. Moreover, I am new to Netduino and hardware coding and I am feeling totally lost now.

#25142 Netduino as a Joystick Device

Posted by xikky on 06 March 2012 - 12:24 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

How can I make netduino to be read by the PC as a Joystick Device?

#25058 Joystick - Filtering Input

Posted by xikky on 04 March 2012 - 10:26 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thank you for your answer. I hope I will manage to find what I need :) In the mean time I would really appreciate other suggestions.

#25022 Joystick - Filtering Input

Posted by xikky on 03 March 2012 - 12:36 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Do I need filtering for this Joystick? I really need some ideas and suggestions for Joysticks with netduino. I cannot find much on google.

I would really appreciate if someone shows me some code examples for joysticks.

#24692 Joystick and Bluetooth Module

Posted by xikky on 26 February 2012 - 12:18 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Big thanks for your reply! this is very useful for me :)

#24684 Joystick and Bluetooth Module

Posted by xikky on 25 February 2012 - 06:56 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I need to implement a joystick module Joystick1 + BreakoutBoard or Joystick2 to Netduino and a bluetooth module Bluetooth that will be used for communication between PC and Netduino. I have several questions before purchasing these items...

1. What is the difference between the two joysticks that I've put a link for? My personal preference is the first one since the other is out of stock and since I'm buying all the stuff from www.hwkitchen.com
2. Imp: How do I connect the joystick to the breakout board? Is the breakout board used to connect I/O device to a Development board?
3. And do you have any guides to share for me on how to connect and program these devices on the Netduino. Best I found for bluetooth is this Link (which I'm hoping RN-41 and RN-42 are no different to connect and program). I found nothing yet regarding the joystick. Please share with me some guides that you know on these two subjects as I'm still new on this.
4. And anyone bought from HW Kitchen before?

Thank you in advance :)

#24677 Joystick and Bluetooth Module

Posted by xikky on 25 February 2012 - 01:49 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I need to implement a joystick module Joystick1 + BreakoutBoard or Joystick2 to Netduino and a bluetooth module Bluetooth that will be used for communication between PC and Netduino. I have several questions before purchasing these items...

1. What is the difference between the two joysticks that I've put a link for? My personal preference is the first one since the other is out of stock and since I'm buying all the stuff from www.hwkitchen.com
2. Imp: How do I connect the joystick to the breakout board? Is the breakout board used to connect I/O device to a Development board?
3. And do you have any guides to share for me on how to connect and program these devices on the Netduino. Best I found for bluetooth is this Link (which I'm hoping RN-41 and RN-42 are no different to connect and program). I found nothing yet regarding the joystick. Please share with me some guides that you know on these two subjects as I'm still new on this.
4. And anyone bought from HW Kitchen before?

Thank you in advance :)

#24672 Displacement sensor

Posted by xikky on 25 February 2012 - 08:59 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hello...I'm not sure whether could help you, but the stuffs here -at least- may give you an hint.
http://www.tinyclr.i...ality-2012.aspx
(Sorry, it's Italian)
Have a look at the pics and at the movie. It's a very nice way to record what a person does.
Cheers

Thanks for the link. No problem with Italian as it is the 3rd spoken language in my country :) I'm from Malta. Unfortunately it seems as ADXL345 does not seem to be the right sensor for my project. But nonetheless new ideas sparked!

I would still like somebody to tell me which sensor would read and measure movement displacement for my personal interest.

#24670 Displacement sensor

Posted by xikky on 25 February 2012 - 08:14 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Can I get an ADXL345 sensor to measure displacement. What i need is a sensor which will be held by a person and this will read if the person steps right or left, jumps etc.. Can you suggest anything for me?

#24669 Connecting ADXL345 (wireless)

Posted by xikky on 25 February 2012 - 07:56 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

On that project there are 2 "parts":

-rover with mbed+xbee+power wires
-controller with mbed+adx345+xbee+power wires

Now, what I think you are trying to accomplish is:

-take measurements using adxl345+wireless transmitter+battery powered
-netduino receives data and sends it to computer=>netduino+wireless receiver+usb powered

Since the adxl345 talks SPI and I2C, you will need a microcontroller to interface it with your transmitter OR a transmitter with that functionality built in. Popular wireless transmitter(transceivers actually) are the xbee and the nrf24 devices from Nordic. In fact Nordic has some SoCs that already contain a programmable 8051 microcontroller.

On netduino's side, you will use the corresponding receiver and you can have it transmitting data to your pc via virtual serial port and powered using a 5V FTDI cable. Note that you will still need Netduino's built in usb connector for debugging and deployment using this approach.

I hope to have cleared some of your questions.

thanks for the answer! i can see the horizon someway better now :)

#24645 Connecting ADXL345 (wireless)

Posted by xikky on 24 February 2012 - 05:19 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

As to my previous question about connecting ADXL345 with Netduino wireless, I found this project which seems that they managed to make this happen. see this link: My link

I don't understand what is mbed, and code seems not in C# :S

#24618 Connecting ADXL345 (wireless)

Posted by xikky on 23 February 2012 - 04:47 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

You cannot use the USB connection... The additional board you see there is a FTDI board connected to a serial port on the ND. This allows communication from your PC to the Netduino via serial communication.

sorry for my ignorance .. but what is the other USB wire used for then? Can you please describe me the difference between the two?

#24616 Connecting ADXL345 (wireless)

Posted by xikky on 23 February 2012 - 03:54 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'm now getting a clear picture, thanks for your reply. My primary goal was to have an ADXL to send data wirelessy (and directly) to the intermediate subject - Netduino. But now I understand why this ain't possible and so I am concluding that I need 2 Netduino boards to make this functional. Do you have any ideas and answers for me for my second question about the USB connection?

#24612 Connecting ADXL345 (wireless)

Posted by xikky on 23 February 2012 - 03:18 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I wish to connect a ADXL345 with a Netduino using a wireless connection. But after doing my own research my hopes are vanishing and I am starting to think that this is not possible.

So I'm asking here just to make sure:
Is there a possible way to connect the ADXL345 sensor with Netduino wirelessly?

One more thing .. since I am new on this and still I'm not an owner of a Netduino I am curious; can I power the Netduino from my PC using USB and at the same time let Netduino and PC communicate (send data such as ADXL345 inputs) using the same USB wire? Or am I talking gibberish?

The picture below made me confused

Posted Image

Can't I use the USB connected from Netduino and PC to send the data from the ADXL345 rather than having another USB wire as shown in the picture.

#24455 Netduino Emulator

Posted by xikky on 20 February 2012 - 10:09 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

hello netduino community! I find this emulator very interested, but link to download the code from CodePlex doesn't work. It tells me that the file might be deleted. Anyone can direct me for the latest update of this emulator?

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.