emg's Content - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

emg's Content

There have been 62 items by emg (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#50073 What to use for RTC backup?

Posted by emg on 29 May 2013 - 08:27 AM in General Discussion

I've got one of these: DS1338 (DS1307 compatible, 3.3-5v I2C)

http://www.ebay.co.u...e-/270762577188

#46277 We have reproduce a lockup (when the internet fails) with a video

Posted by emg on 26 February 2013 - 10:41 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

cdn,

Sorry, you mis-understood me. Enable the DOS (Denial of Service) packet filters on your router (if they have them) to >prevent< malformed packets from locking up your router, not suggesting they were the cause.

Also, I would be wary about testing via direct cross-over cable between 2 NIC's as I've seen this cause issues, depending on the NIC. it's better to connect both devices to a switch and use port mirroring to sniff packets. 

#46235 We have reproduce a lockup (when the internet fails) with a video

Posted by emg on 25 February 2013 - 11:04 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Check and see if the router or Cisco has any DOS blocking filters and enable them. My Draytek 2820 has these and rejects large/malformed packets. 

#45965 We have reproduce a lockup (when the internet fails) with a video

Posted by emg on 21 February 2013 - 12:32 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Chris, Watchdog please! It won't help N+1 issues but this will help JoopC and other 'black box' installations (like when you have a Netduino installed at your mother-in-laws house and it locks up...) if using N+2.

BTW, I thought that with N+2 and it's 'offloaded' Ethernet chip, this was supposed to allow you to recover from networking issues by simply power-cycling the Ethernet chip?

JoopC, can you try another test with your router? Instead of disabling DHCP, what happens if you unplug the router from the ADSL line and reconnect. Does it still lock up?

#51080 Wake on LAN server

Posted by emg on 04 July 2013 - 10:54 AM in General Discussion

If you have a Draytek router, you can do this w/o any additional hardware. I'm sure other routers do it as well.

WOL via open port

WOL via Router

Any help?

Also, I keep my PC on 24/7 and use Logmein to access. I believe Logmein also supports WOL directly so you don't even need to make any router changes. Never tested it though.

#44763 waiting for the sdk 4.3

Posted by emg on 02 February 2013 - 04:36 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Is this the issue you are having?

http://netmf.codeple...m/workitem/1830

#44755 waiting for the sdk 4.3

Posted by emg on 02 February 2013 - 10:43 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

What bug in socket.connect are you seeing?

#42342 Visual Basic support for Netduino and .NET MF now in beta

Posted by emg on 28 December 2012 - 11:36 AM in Visual Basic Support

I must have missed this too, does VB now implement System.Convert.ToUInt64, Decimal, etc? (try decoding a NTP time byte string in VB only!) 

#46615 Switching deployment/debugging between USB and COM1/COM2

Posted by emg on 04 March 2013 - 03:45 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Kyle,

Welcome! They could probably use your insight into USB over here --> Looking for a few ninja code contributors...

#48537 Setting up NP2 internet for global access?

Posted by emg on 18 April 2013 - 10:05 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Guam, cool! I Hafa Adai! (I lived there for a few years)

Will you be in control of the network the NP2 is attached to on Guam? Also, is the router on Guam configured with a static IP address from their ISP? If so, you will need to port forward on your router to the internal IP address you assigned to your NP2. You can pick any arbitrary port number but your will need to listen/serve the same port from the NP2 and forward on your router to the internet. From Siberia, you can then access the NP2 by http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port/page.html where xxx is the public IP address of the router in Guam and :port is the port you have forwarded. (assuming you don't use the default http port 80)

If the router on Guam is a dynamic IP address it becomes more difficult. If the network router on Guam is out of your control (campus, business, etc) you will not be able to see the NP2 from outside the network.

#42238 Service note: updates to forums

Posted by emg on 27 December 2012 - 03:53 AM in General Discussion

Seems ok Added edit. Using a goTab 7" el cheapo tablet running android ICS. Another edit via mobile theme.

#42285 Service note: updates to forums

Posted by emg on 27 December 2012 - 08:56 PM in General Discussion

I am plucking up the courage to do the firmware re-install.

On mine there is a button for 'Factory data reset' under Settings|Personal. I've done this already after messing about and it works well. Right back to square one.

#42275 Service note: updates to forums

Posted by emg on 27 December 2012 - 05:19 PM in General Discussion

HI Steve,

I used to use Chrome and it worked fairly well, until about a month or so ago when there was an update. Now I get "Unfortunately, Chrome has stopped" when ever I try and start it. Even after a factory reset and re-install!

I just tried Dolphin (recomended by a friend), that does the same as the default browser - half the page disapears when I try and add text to the reply box.

Given the others on this forum who have responded that their browser's are working, I think it must be this tablet that is at fault. I'll have to add "SUMVISION" to the home electronics black list.

Thanks everyone - keep unwrapping those presents.

Have you tried resetting the tablet back to defaults? What about the latest firmware updates like these:

http://www.sum-visio...upportastro.asp

I purchased this for £65 last week:

http://www.ergoelect...tablet-gbt740rs

and it seems OK. I have noticed that it struggles with big websites and can sometimes pause for a few seconds before updating. I plan on using it to control some home automation tasks so it should be sufficient.

Good luck!

#44293 Selling N+ (v1) Rev B

Posted by emg on 27 January 2013 - 10:13 AM in General Discussion

Sure, £25 sounds good to me. PM me with payment method details.

#44236 Selling N+ (v1) Rev B

Posted by emg on 26 January 2013 - 03:42 PM in General Discussion

£2. To me.

That seems reasonable to me!  :D

#44247 Selling N+ (v1) Rev B

Posted by emg on 26 January 2013 - 04:59 PM in General Discussion

Is this a Rev B board? If so, I'll offer £20...

#44267 Selling N+ (v1) Rev B

Posted by emg on 26 January 2013 - 09:37 PM in General Discussion

Yup the rev B board.

Well then, I'll offer £20.

#45519 Safely ejecting SD card (and other problems)

Posted by emg on 14 February 2013 - 07:33 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

lol.

Let me Google that for you

My personal favourite: Ermahgerd Translator

#42353 RF remote for Hunter light/fan?

Posted by emg on 28 December 2012 - 06:04 PM in General Discussion

I used this as a guide doing something similar...

http://www.instructa...ome-automation/

Range was about 10-15m

#44917 Rain sensor

Posted by emg on 04 February 2013 - 07:50 PM in General Discussion

look up around the rear view mirror. The ones I've seen are optical and use an IR led and sensor. They work by sensing a change in the amount of light reflected from the windshield, which changes when there are water droplets on the glass over the sensor.

#47245 Problem getting time via NTP (Socket Exception)

Posted by emg on 15 March 2013 - 09:02 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I don't get it, why do you have 2x the same DNS IP for primary/secondary? IFAIK, this just means it takes twice as long to fail over to the next DNS server if 24.229.54.212 is down or slow to respond.

I've found Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to be good and it does not lock you to your ISP DNS. They seem quick and don't block anything (ISP's in the UK like to block PirateBay et al).

In general, split your troubleshooting into routing and name resolution. If you can ping or connect to ntp via IP address then you've isolated the problem to DNS. Also, check your ISP's current DNS settings as they can change over time (esp if you have been with them for years - this happened to me). Some ISP's provide different DNS servers for each type of service they offer, home, business, etc. The order is sometimes also important. The Primary DNS is usually the fastest over the Secondary but again it depends on ISP.

#44914 NTP Time howto call with SDK 4.3

Posted by emg on 04 February 2013 - 07:42 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I thought this was (and still is) broken in VB. See Query NTP server. Byte operations not supported?

#46127 No DFU mode, no blue light

Posted by emg on 23 February 2013 - 10:55 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Try plugging into a different USB port (esp change from front to back ports or other way). This will change to a different USB controller, and often can kick the PC into re-recognizing attached devices).

#48184 Newbee on netduino here.

Posted by emg on 08 April 2013 - 03:11 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Yes, VB is supported by .NET Micro Framework SDK v4.2 and later. Read through the VB forum for posts about missing functionality.

Welcome!

#44872 New installer is WiX based! Source posted too...

Posted by emg on 04 February 2013 - 11:34 AM in General Discussion

I use Setup Factory from Indigo Rose and have found it very easy to work with.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.