Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

andersborg's Content

There have been 33 items by andersborg (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#19545 Support for UDP multicast/boardcast?

Posted by andersborg on 21 October 2011 - 03:42 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

You're looking for broadcast UDP? You should be able to do most/all UDP via the standard firmware.

I believe that Pascal posted something about enabling broadcast UDP. If that's interesting, we could enable that in v4.1.1 pretty easily.

Chris

+1 or even +2 from me too.

#18218 Sending SMSs from a Netduino

Posted by andersborg on 19 September 2011 - 08:39 PM in Project Showcase

Here's a Netduino magically sending SMSs without there being any phone connected to it. The blog entry explains how. http://abiro.com/w/2...ased-on-events/ Cheers, Anders

#18233 Sending SMSs from a Netduino

Posted by andersborg on 20 September 2011 - 08:21 AM in Project Showcase

I checked sending from USA to USA or other countries, and it's 6 Euro cents, which is not competitive. I normally pay around 1.8 Euro cents, which is similar to what you mention. Actually Sweden is the only country where Infobip provides such low rates, so I feel slightly privileged. For info, this is how the code looks like for sending SMSs to Infobip (without the credentials of course). As can be seen UrlEncode(Hashtable) makes it so much less error-prone, even though it probably kills the heap. string Url = "http://api2.infobip....sendsms/plain"; Hashtable Args = new Hashtable(); Args["user"] = UserName; Args["password"] = Password; Args["GSM"] = CompactNumber(Destination); Args["sender"] = Originator; Args["Binary"] = Util.StrToHex(Text); Args["Type"] = "LongSMS"; return HttpRequest.Perform(Url, HttpRequest.UrlEncode(Args)); Anders

#23196 Sending SMSs from a Netduino

Posted by andersborg on 23 January 2012 - 03:26 PM in Project Showcase

No problem. You'll get a ZIP via IM.

#23192 Sending SMSs from a Netduino

Posted by andersborg on 23 January 2012 - 03:12 PM in Project Showcase

Is your class opensource?

If you are asking me: It could be. It's not much code.

Cheers.

#22777 Sending SMSs from a Netduino

Posted by andersborg on 14 January 2012 - 01:07 PM in Project Showcase

Regarding Twilio: SMS for 1 cent is very low, but manageable as the receiver pays the cost for the SMS transmission. It would be impossible with such a price in Europe. Yet they indicate they will offer SMS för UK as well. Most likely not at that price. I envy you Americans/Canadians :). Anders

#17955 Proto Board or Perf Board

Posted by andersborg on 14 September 2011 - 01:00 AM in General Discussion

My preferences for Arduino: I don't use bread boards at all. I prefer bare proto boards that I only add the Arduino 8 and 6 pin connectors to, and of course my components. This way I get a more solid/compact/demoable build than when using bread boards. I don't use proto boards with included components (LEDs, switches and what-not), as that extra stuff is of no use and they cost a bit more too. I don't etch at home. That simply makes no sense. I did it in the 80s, but the smell and arguable results still haunt me. I haven't quite come as far as to commercial solutions yet, but I would do either of the following for first round production designs: - Design a shield PCB with my solution, complementing any Arduino (or Netduino). Of course I would save the shield core design, so I could easily make other shields later using the same connectors etc. - Design a fully custom board with both (and just) the needed Arduino components and those of my solution, to get a cost and size optimized solution. If you consider that an Arduino is pretty much only the MCU, this is not noticeably more complicated than making a shield. It might even be simpler if not many ports are used. I would still use ATmegas with Arduino bootloader so I could directly use my Arduino code. I would order boards from one of the many PCB providers. They are remarkably inexpensive even in volumes below 100. Without a production facility surface-mounted components would be hard to use, and size might not be a major issue, so I would go for hole-mounted components to start with. That would then also work in production, if I would ever get that far. Volume production is an area that requires much more logistics and that I haven't had to deal with much (except in terms of test mounts and such), so I would surely consult an expert for that.

#17962 OneWire ALPHA

Posted by andersborg on 14 September 2011 - 03:00 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I deployed the Netduino Plus version of the firmware with OneWire again, to secure I didn't make a mistake with that. I also put OneWire.cs and DS18B20.cs in my own project and removed the DLL. No build errors. When I deploy on the Netduino I get a NotSupported exception on instantiating OneWire, so clearly I did something wrong. I better stay off this for a while :).

#17959 OneWire ALPHA

Posted by andersborg on 14 September 2011 - 01:37 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

The Netduino Plus ZIP doesn't contain the DLL or the other code, only the firmware. If I use the one for Netduino the code builds, including with some of the example code, so the class is used, but I get a "hardware error" (very "descriptive") when deploying. Anything obvious I might have done wrong? Cheers, Anders

#34007 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.2.0

Posted by andersborg on 21 August 2012 - 01:02 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Anders

Are you using SAM-BA 2.12 fixes some issues with x64 os's...
Also are you using the driver in "drv" folder where you installed sam-ba too or the generic GPS camera driver that windows update discovers, try uninstalling the driver in device manager and manually installing the Atmel driver?
Finally have you erased your ND (3.3v to the gold erase pad) before you try and connect with sam-ba?

Nak.

Yes it's 2.12+.

I used the generic driver (actually I didn't do anything with that). I erased as per the instructions.

I'll try the advice. Thanks.

#34227 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.2.0

Posted by andersborg on 26 August 2012 - 10:13 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have it going now, so maybe I can help. Did you perform all these steps? http://wiki.netduino...ep-by-step.ashx Cheers, Anders

#34005 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.2.0

Posted by andersborg on 21 August 2012 - 12:55 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Anders,

That's very odd. So it did work alright after moving the Netduino to another USB port?

Also, are you using SAM-BA v2.12+? The earlier versions had some issues with Win7 x64.

Chris

Yup. In both cases the ports were detected (COM8 and COM10), so it was nothing wrong with that. My PC supposedly has two different USB controllers, so that might be the reason.

I used 2.12+ (just installed).

#33996 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.2.0

Posted by andersborg on 21 August 2012 - 10:59 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Revised: It worked if I moved to another USB port (??!?!). After SAM-BA has detected the USB driver and I've selected at91sam7x512-ek and then click "Connect", SAM-BA pops up "Error in startup script" "Error h_handle returned zero" etc. I'm using Windows 7 64, .NET 4.2 and SDK 4.2. Any idea what could cause this to happen? Cheers, Anders

#17813 Instantiations when switching mode

Posted by andersborg on 09 September 2011 - 10:43 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

If you want to go wireless, this is an inexpensive solution: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10534 http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10532 I wanted to use this solution for making wireless MIDI, but sadly it's too slow (standard MIDI is 31.25 kbps). I haven't checked whether this can be pushed up somehow. The bearer frequency indicates the information bit rate could be much higher than 4800 bps. But for many other uses it should be fine.

#17740 Instantiations when switching mode

Posted by andersborg on 08 September 2011 - 06:38 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'm working on communicating with a DS18B20 temperature sensor, and part of the example code in Wiring I found in Practical Arduino looks like this: digitalWrite(Pin, LOW); pinMode(Pin, OUTPUT); delayMicroseconds(5); pinMode(Pin, INPUT); delayMicroseconds(60); If I understand correctly, when using the Netduino class library I need to re-instantiate for every new setting of pin mode. Am I right? If so, this is bad design, as generally instantiations for such a simple and very repetitive task should be avoided on a resource-constrained platform like Netduino (and in general). Doing so is extremely "expensive" compared to just switching mode via a static method implemented in Assembly. Has it been considered to not require instantiation when switching modes, including between analog and digital? Cheers, Anders

#17948 Instantiations when switching mode

Posted by andersborg on 13 September 2011 - 08:30 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I've been hoping someone knowledgeable about wireless options might do a comparison and contrast. And would still welcome it. In the meantime, I stumbled across this one Wireless Comparison

My opinions, seeing it from an overall perspective:

These 433 MHz modules are in my opinion the lowest you can go (price and functionality) in terms of getting any wireless communication at all (except home-brewed solutions). They have a lot of drawbacks except for pure "wireless serial" applications though.

The more expensive 802.15.4 modules work fine too, but are considerably more expensive and are still not directly compatible with everyday equipment like broadband routers, PCs, mobiles etc.

Wi-Fi is the best overall local wireless solution in my opinion, when you consider that it provides Internet access (via an access point), smartphone access (think the phone as a control panel / remote, potentially using custom apps) and potentially also MCU-to-MCU communication (but see above for that). What is not so good is the cost. Power consumption might also be a problem.

Both 802.15.4 and Wi-Fi handle many wireless devices in the same network gracefully, but Wi-Fi is much more contemporary from a network topology and usage perspective in that you simply open IP sockets to communicate with anything, including sites across the world (Pachube anyone?).

If you want a solution that works long distances and potentially globally when talking point-to-point you need GSM/3G. There are a few shields available for that. I haven't seen any CDMA modules so far. On the other hand, point-to-point communication is not so important if the device is static, as it can communicate via the Internet. GSM still beats Wi-Fi if the device is moved around, for instance by being placed in a truck, bus, boat or similar and needs to communicate independently of other equipment, possibly combined with GPS and other means for locating/tracking vehicles.

For a little more (actually cheaper than your suggestion if you needed to do duplex) you could go with this one which has a data rate of 115 Kbps, with buffering, duplex and plenty of other features for $7

And for a little bit more you can get this multi frequency unit which has even more features… why, I don’t know, but it has extra 8 bit ADC, temperature sensor and RX and TX FIFO, and low battery detection for $12.

"Pins spaced by 2 mm." Oh heck!

"Look for a breakout board coming soon!" Someone should make a shield.

In any case both these are probably much better than the solution I bought, for a similar price.

This is how my modules look like: http://twitizer.com/q6y7M (sorry for the flickery photo)
No doubt very easy to connect to a Netduino or Arduino, so I'll still try them first. Maybe I can scare them up to 31.25 kbps somehow. The problem is that it needs to be sustainable speed, so buffering won't help polishing off the peaks.

Thanks for the hint.

#17949 Instantiations when switching mode

Posted by andersborg on 13 September 2011 - 08:37 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

The breakout board variant is needed for easy use, yet Netduino + proto shield + breakout board with RF module seems like a long and unnecessarily costly way to RF Nirvana. Oh well... http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10154

#17812 Instantiations when switching mode

Posted by andersborg on 09 September 2011 - 10:10 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

You can do multi-threading on Arduino too, yet not as user-friendly. I think the main benefit with Netduino/NETMF is the much better development environment, but in part that's compensated by a more extensive library of drivers, faster code execution, better commercial applicability etc in favor of Arduino. You gain some, you lose some. I'd like to see a model of Netduino with a touch display, making it more suitable as a controller, including in Gadgeteer setups. I2C or 1-Wire seem like good choices for communication between MCUs in general.

#17950 Instantiations when switching mode

Posted by andersborg on 13 September 2011 - 09:07 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I forgot to mention Bluetooth. That's also a viable choice as all mobile phones and many laptops have integrated Bluetooth. It of course also works for point-to-point MCU communication, but as such is rather costly, like 802.15.4. Internet communication is not straight-forward when compared to Wi-Fi. You can use a mobile phone as a GSM modem via Bluetooth, but then that phone needs to be on and in proximity all the time, hence dedicated to the task. Certainly not ideal. For that a GSM shield would be better. If you have a phone/sub you can spare, you could also connect the phone via a USB Host shield for the same effect. There's code for that to Arduino, but to my knowledge not yet to Netduino. I'm actually checking out the USB Host approach for a telematics solution. I don't know if a Netduino with Bluetooth could act a Web server to a phone or a PC, and that way provide an integrated user experience. At least you should be able to use the Bluetooth HID profile, but some research and coding might be required for that. The cost is also a relative hindrance. Example: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/582

#17751 Instantiations when switching mode

Posted by andersborg on 08 September 2011 - 11:49 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Yes, that should work, and thanks for the example, but it's essentially compensating for a software design flaw with otherwise perfectly good hardware, which is the wrong way around. Instantiation could still set the initial mode. The only thing needed would be possibility to switch modes via methods afterwards. Analog vs digital is still an issue though, as those classes have different characteristics, but solvable if done as one Port class. My touch screen implementation works fine as it is, but as I've worked with writing hardware drivers I can see the heap getting filled, cleaned up, filled, cleaned up all the time in my mind. Ignorance would be bliss :).

#17743 Instantiations when switching mode

Posted by andersborg on 08 September 2011 - 07:36 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I didn't say it was switching between analog and digital, only that I wanted that ability _too_, apart from switching between digital input and output without instantiating. I understood from other posts what you say about the timing. Very nice with upcoming 1-Wire support in the system, and I'll check out the "alpha" version. Thanks.

#17747 Instantiations when switching mode

Posted by andersborg on 08 September 2011 - 08:59 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'll post a feature request. Here's a classical case (Nintendo touch screen) where it becomes hairy (and inefficient). Without Dispose I can't re-use/configure the ports, etc. Maybe not all Dispose are needed, but I went for the RAD approach. analog1 = new AnalogInput(X2); analog2 = new AnalogInput(X1); digital1 = new OutputPort(Y1, false); digital2 = new OutputPort(Y2, true); int valueX = analog1.Read(); X = adapt(valueX); analog1.Dispose(); analog2.Dispose(); digital1.Dispose(); digital2.Dispose(); analog1 = new AnalogInput(Y1); analog2 = new AnalogInput(Y2); digital1 = new OutputPort(X2, false); digital2 = new OutputPort(X1, true); int valueY = analog2.Read(); Y = adapt((range - 1) - valueY); analog1.Dispose(); analog2.Dispose(); digital1.Dispose(); digital2.Dispose(); analog1 = null; analog2 = null; digital1 = null; digital2 = null;

#34022 4.2 and out of memory

Posted by andersborg on 21 August 2012 - 03:57 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Anders,

We'll need the source. To understand why you're getting an exception, we need to run the code and see where the exception is thrown.

Alternatively...what line is the exception thrown on?

Chris

OK. Here goes.

I couldn't see what line it happened on. I'm using Express, so maybe it's limited in this regard.

Attached Files

#34023 4.2 and out of memory

Posted by andersborg on 21 August 2012 - 04:15 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Noted: With Debug.GC: "A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.dll", likely at the first call to Debug.GC. Without Debug.GC: Loops for almost 20 times, then hangs.

#34020 4.2 and out of memory

Posted by andersborg on 21 August 2012 - 03:39 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Forgot to attach the file...

Attached Files

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.