Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Valkyrie-MT's Content

There have been 10 items by Valkyrie-MT (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#62333 Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD

Posted by Valkyrie-MT on 01 May 2015 - 01:56 AM in Netduino 3

What was that shiny new Netduino hardware seen in the keynote?It's not officially announced quite yet

Sorry to spoil the surprise. I blame Hanselman. I am at BUILD this year.

Attached Thumbnails

• WP_20150429_09_16_27_Pro.jpg

#62280 Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD

Posted by Valkyrie-MT on 29 April 2015 - 04:10 PM in Netduino 3

Hadn't heard about this before. Looks like it had a cc3100 onboard.

-Valkyrie-MT

#58970 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by Valkyrie-MT on 02 July 2014 - 12:15 AM in Netduino Mini

Piwi, I am interested too.  My wifi requirements are tough though.  It has to have WPS, and some other way of joining without an interface.  It has to support SSL and have at least 6 sockets.  And, it has to come in an FCC certified unit. 

#58969 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by Valkyrie-MT on 02 July 2014 - 12:01 AM in Netduino Mini

Yes, I am still working on the cc3000 driver, almost everyday.  The reality is that the cc3000 firmware has had too many bugs to work.  Unfortunately, TI did not try to fix the issues until the Sparkcore guys started complaining.  Even still there is a bug that combines UDP packets for which there is no workaround.  I've been in contact with TI, and I've even had a call on the phone to discuss issues.  I've had a variety of unreleased firmware builds in the last few months.  Most of the changes where made to fix the ARP issue which impacted the sockets as well. 

Having said all that.  The last version DID fix a lot and I know another build is coming.  So, the cc3000 is looking better.  However, I am still working around issues.  In the last week I rewrote the code to stop using the cc3000 Profiles because for some reason they can just stop working.  And, I am testing a DNS lookup using UDP sockets because the built-in functionality seems to work unreliably. 

But, when I get the cc3100 tomorrow, I'll probably focus more on that. 

#58933 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by Valkyrie-MT on 28 June 2014 - 04:54 AM in Netduino Mini

I just ordered the cc3100 from TI.  It has some great improvements like SSL, built-in web server, WPS for easier pairing, and price (around $7 per chip for large volume).  However, it looks a bit less DIY friendly.  The example board is 4-layer, the chip appears to require an SPI-Flash companion chip and you'll need a crystal and some inductors in addition to the antenna components.  And the pin pitch of the package looks VERY small. 

I'll take a hard look at it. 

#58883 MIP tcp/ip stack running on Netduino mini !!

Posted by Valkyrie-MT on 25 June 2014 - 01:44 AM in Project Showcase

One of my goals for mIP was to simplify the end-user experience for the typical Connection-less UDP request/response and simple HTTP web requests and HTTP web servers. 

To some extent, I was concealing TCP socket access to avoid intimidating users with complex APIs and concepts.  Rest assured that you can still do TCP socket communication, it is just under the covers.  The HTTP implementation uses all TCP communication and is in fact a working example implementation, although not one I'd recommend as a simple example. 

In the TCP.cs file, you will find a Connection class.  This is essentially the TCP Socket class.  You can create a new Connection and the Send methods on that class are all TCP Send calls. 

The code would look something like this:

<code>

class TcpProgram

{

public static void Main()

{

Networking.Adapter.Start(new byte[] { 0x5c, 0x86, 0x4a, 0x00, 0x00, 0xdd, "mip", InterfaceProfile.NetduinoGo_Socket3_ENC28);

var tcpSocket = new Networking.Connection() { RemoteIP = new byte[] { 192, 168, 0, 1 }, RemotePort = 80 };

tcpSocket.OnConnectionPacketReceived += TcpSocket_OnConnectionPacketReceived;

tcpSocket.SendAsync(new byte[] { 1, 2, 3, 4 });  // Send some bytes

while (true) Thread.Sleep(100);

// When you are done, you can close the socket

tcpSocket.Close();

}

static void TcpSocket_OnConnectionPacketReceived(Packet thePacket)

{

// A TCP Packet was received.  If the message is long, you will have to piece the packet contents back together to  get the full message. 

Debug.Print("New Packet of length: " + thePacket.Content.Length + ", contains: " + thePacket.Content.ToHexString());  // Here is the packet data

// Note: there are other useful properties on the Packet Class

}

}

</code>

#58063 Netduino mini + WiFi

Posted by Valkyrie-MT on 12 May 2014 - 05:23 AM in Netduino Mini

It's not reliable yet, but you can use the WRL-3000 hardware and the cc3000.codeplex.com driver.  But, if you want something reliable, it probably won't be that cheap.  There are a few vendors (like bluegiga, murata, and digi) that make wifi chips with UART interfaces that will be more reliable, but you'll have to write a library to control it from C#. 

-Valkyrie-MT

#58030 Support for Intel Quark (Galileo)

Posted by Valkyrie-MT on 10 May 2014 - 03:00 AM in General Discussion

Shiv,

My expectation is that Galileo and Edison will soon be running a variant of Windows Embedded with a more robust .NET variant, not MicroFramework. 

#58029 How can I check that there is internet connection?

Posted by Valkyrie-MT on 10 May 2014 - 02:55 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

A web request to google should usually work, unless the device is in a country that might block it.  For Microsoft Windows, they periodically do a simple web request as well.  It is described here: 

http://blog.superuse...work-awareness/

#57887 Calling HTTPS webapi's using NetDuino

Posted by Valkyrie-MT on 02 May 2014 - 12:39 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Yeah.  I was talking to Microsoft Engineer today about the fact that WNS (Windows Notification Services) only support HTTPS.  If you can't do SSL, your IoT device is out of luck.  That it unless you add a service in between.  But my point was... who, in their right mind, would buy a product from a startup (or any company) that depends on a service from that startup.  Can you imagine if your smart light bulbs (or whatever) stop working after a year because company X decided it was a flop.  The dependency on the cloud for IoT is powerful, but risky.  If the startup goes poof, so does the functionality of all the products.  What's going to happen to ElectricImp when they go under with that cloud based IDE and programming?  It's incredibly short-sighted.  Is security important for logging into my bank?  Sure.  But is it really necessary for WNS which already includes an App ID, and another long key just to work.  In many cases, no.  But it's unlikely that I will be able to budge Microsoft.  So, I may be forced to figure out SSL on .NET MF one of these days. 

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.