carb's Content - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

carb's Content

There have been 185 items by carb (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#46265 Xbee to LCD using Netduino

Posted by carb on 26 February 2013 - 05:52 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Bonzo,

Try searching xbee here in the forum, You should find plenty of code. You may need to change some for firmware changes and different pin layouts.

Also have a look at http://examples.digi.com/ it has a lot of good examples of things that you can do with xbees

Chuck

#41182 Wifi timeout

Posted by carb on 07 December 2012 - 08:44 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Donovan,

Have you looked at Arron's Power Management Class. Power Management

It allows you to cycle the 3.3 & 5.0vdc headers (and other things). This would allow you to remove power temporarily from the shield to reset it, as needed.

Chuck

#39588 What's the best Netduino go go for atm ?

Posted by carb on 18 November 2012 - 02:01 PM in General Discussion

Thanks Carb,

What I am also wondering... (sorry to keep asking questions in here, but I doubt creating a new topic would be better)

When applying shields, you lose some I/O pins...

- Can you still use a breadboard to prototype some things using the pins not used by the shield?
- Can we combine shields? I guess this is hard to do, since it might be possible that both shields will use the same I/O ports... Thats not working then right ?
- Are there any good lcd displays to prototype on a breadboard ? Since if I attach a wifi shield, I can not attach a LCD shield, or am I wrong here?

Thanks

Frederik,

You will lose some of the IOs depending on the shields being used. Outputs can be shared if they are needed by more than one shield for the same purpose i.e. an on/off signal. Inputs normally are not shared because each shield would provide signals back to the Netduino. Power and grounds can be shared assuming you don't overload the power supply. Pins used for communications can sometimes be shared i.e. I2C uses an Id code for each item that is on the channel.

IOs that are not being used can be used by a bread board.

Some shield can be stacked as long as the IOs and shield functions are compatable which each other.

Depending on the shields being used many allow configuration of the IOs to avoid conlict with the other shields that are being used. For example you may be able to select Com1 or Com2 for serial communications, this is often done with jumpers on the shield.

There are good LCD that can be breadboarded, But I would consider using an LCD shield with I2C or SPI control (uses fewer pins) or a LCD with SPI backpack. This macks the connections easier and there is code that will minimize your work. Check Adafruit.com for some ideas of what is available LCD shield or Serial LCD display

Adafruit has a lot of options and ideas, unfortunately most of the code is for Arduinos but that can be coded for C# or visual basic and has often already been done by others. They normally have good tutorials on how to use the products.

Also take a look at Stefan's Netmf Toolbox, he provides code in C# and Visual Basic, gives you sample codes, components needed and normally a circuit diagram on how to connect the items. Like this one Motor Control

I think I got most of the questions,
Chuck

#39479 What's the best Netduino go go for atm ?

Posted by carb on 16 November 2012 - 08:22 PM in General Discussion

I'm sorry to keep posting questions, but creating a new topic would be wrong I guess.

Which jumping wires should I take to connect the netduino with breadbord ?? This might not be Netduindo related...

M/M, F/M or F/F?

Frederick,

Male / Male.

As to the second question, the kit seems to have most of the parts, I did not see a power supply, the USB will provde 5vdc to the Netduino. If you want to use more power than the USB can provide then a 9vdc power supply (wall wart) can be added. Just make sure that the center of the barrel connector is positive.

Chuck

#39054 What's the best Netduino go go for atm ?

Posted by carb on 11 November 2012 - 10:41 PM in General Discussion

Ulrik,

I think the new Netduino Plus 2, will give you more freedom, and if your goal is to learn more about basic digital electronics, this is IMHO the one to get. You don't really have to use a soldering iron if you can make things on a breadboard.

I agree that the N+2 would be a good starting point, it has the essentials on the board. And the price is right.

I have a Netduino Go Starter Kit, and i find it quite limiting, as the shieldbase has been in Beta for quite some time, and there has been a lot of small things that is not working.

As to the Go, Yes and No, it depends on the applications that you have in mind. If you are prototyping a project or need to build a module to do exactly what you want the Go is a great platform.

As for the time in Beta for the shieldbase, there are a lot of things that influence that, change in parts, availability of parts, change in visual studios, changes in NETMF, hurricanes and upgrades to existing products (N+2). Also if I remember correctly the release date of the Go was 4/8/12. It has come a long way. The number of existing module and the pending addition of GHI modules amazes me. I have tryed to buy all of the product line and I think that I have all of the available modules and consider them all a good investment.

Chuck

#42563 What was and what's to come — A look back through 2012 and some thoughts...

Posted by carb on 01 January 2013 - 09:56 PM in General Discussion

Steve,

Good recap of the year. If you could throw in a few free items you may be able to get a job in politics. But with your honesty I am not sure you could get into our Democrat or Republican parties.

Happy New Year, I look forward to more great things to come.

Chuck

#37998 What drives your passion?

Posted by carb on 27 October 2012 - 11:03 AM in General Discussion

Steve, Great story, you ever consider writting a book? I voted. :) Chuck

#38810 Watcing Voltage through Analog..

Posted by carb on 09 November 2012 - 02:23 AM in General Discussion

Hey all -
This is more of a general question - even though I'm using a N+.

I'd like to watch the voltage of a 120VAC feed through an analog pin. What's the best way to go about handling this? (Yeah, I'm aware NOT to hook it straight up to the pin, unless I want to see fireworks!)

Unless I'm looking for the wrong terms (possible), Google wasn't much help. SO I thought I'd get ya'll's pointers.

Cheers!
-Mike.

Mike,

There are several ways to do this, some would use electronics others simple electrical compontnents.

• If I wanted to keep it simple, use a transformer (something like a door bell transformer) in the range of 120vac to 6vac.
  • Put a full wave bridge rectifier to convert the 6vac to direct current.
  • Build a voltage divider to cut the dc voltage to 3.3vdc or less. For instance wire (3) 1000 ohm resistors in series (current through the network about 2.5 milli amps), and take the voltage between the first resistor and the negative connection (tie negative to Netduino ground) this will give about 2.5vdc when 120vac is applied (the output of the rectifier will be slightly higher than the ac input, RMS values to DC).
  • Scale the reading to the applied AC voltage (120v).

Hope this helps,
Chuck

#38855 Watcing Voltage through Analog..

Posted by carb on 09 November 2012 - 03:35 PM in General Discussion

The doorbell transformer idea makes sense, it lowers the voltage and gives me DC, which the ND can then (safely) read. :)

Mike,

One thing that I thought of after I posted the first reply. Some of the wall warts (power supplies) used for telephones etc have an Low Voltage AC output (in the range of 3 to 12vac). I normally keep old ones around the house from various equipment that I have gotten rid of. Anyway they would would make a convient and safe way to step down the voltage and to protect the Netduino (and curious kids/adults). Also you may be able to use an un-regulated DC power supply with a voltage divider.

Chuck

#40342 Watcing Voltage through Analog..

Posted by carb on 28 November 2012 - 12:19 AM in General Discussion

Hi,

If your looking for a lower DC Voltage, just use a regulator to obtain a lower voltage output example is LM7805 etc. or make a variable power supply to aid your needs.

Brian,

We are trying to read a 120vac signal, to use an analog input the reduced voltage must be proportional to the input voltage. A regulator would provide a constant voltage to the analog pin such that a change in the input would read the same on the Netduino board.

But thanks for trying.

Chuck

#36028 Verification of Analog Input..

Posted by carb on 26 September 2012 - 08:59 PM in General Discussion

Hi Coyttl, What voltage are you looking to measure? The Analog Digital Converter in the Netduino Plus is a 10 bit ADC. The internal reference is 3.3vdc and the design input to the analog pins is 3.3 vdc also (I don't recommend a applying more than 3.3 vdc). With 10 bit resolution you will get a reading from 0 to 1023 (3.3/1024= 0.0032 per unit). Most like to take say 20 readings about 20 to 50 milliseconds apart them average then. Repeat this at what ever interval that you want. This reduces errors due to electrical noise etc. If you want some code that may help you get started there are several examples for TMP36 temperature sensors written in C# and Visual Basic (just replace the TMP36 input with your voltage input. If you need more help feel free to ask additional questions, the more information you can provide on what you want to do the easier it is for someone to provide the answers that you are looking for. Hope this helps. Chuck

#39962 V4.2 PWM class

Posted by carb on 22 November 2012 - 07:47 PM in Visual Studio

Hi!
How do I use the PWM class on version 4.2?Every example I find is for the previouse versions(new PWM(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D6)),but now it requires four variables.I want to write the following code(netmftoolbox - HBridge),but I cant,beause the class wont match. (sorry for my english).

Ben,

Nothing wrong with your English. B)

Checkout this link and see if that helps. PWM Example

If not please provide a little more information. i.e. Which board, Visual Basic or C# and which firmware is loaded on the board.

Also if this doesn't help Gutworks is normal on and off of the Chat room, he knows a fair amount on PWM coding.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

#39597 USB for custom made board

Posted by carb on 18 November 2012 - 07:55 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thank you for your ongoing excellent support Chris

Can you please point me to direction to obtain a suitable TinyBooterDecompressor.bin and the regular Netduino firmware

Many thanks
Nissim

Nissim,

The files are located in the Pinned thread at the top of this forum and on the download page.

#36311 Toolbox.NETMF question

Posted by carb on 30 September 2012 - 07:22 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

HI
I have been testing some Socket in NETMF and found Toolbox.NETMF.NET and i have tried the
SimpleSocket, but when i add References to Toolbox.NETMF.Integrated, i cant deploy the project, i got the error please check hardware.

I have comment out all code to se what causing the error and it is when I add reference to the Toolbox.NETMF.NET.Integrated.DLL
it wouldn't deploy any more, if i remove the reference to the Integrated dll it commuincate to the board again.

I have upgraded the Netduino Plus to the latest 4.2 and i use the Toolbox for 4.2

ClrInfo.targetFrameworkVersion: 4.2.0.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion: 4.2.0.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVendorInfo: Netduino Plus (v4.2.0.1) by Secret Labs LLC

Any one who have a clue or have seen this problem before ?

//

MicroEmb,

The first thing I would try if you haven't yet is to power cycle the board (unplug, wait a couple of seconds and plug it back in).

When you plug it in did the computer recognize the USB connection?

In Visual Studio, select Project, select your program, select .Net Micro Framework. Does it show your board? Change deployment to serial then back to USB, it should show the board.

Try a differrent Micro USB cable.

Have you used the board successfully since the upgrade?

Hope this helps, if not more should be on tonight or tommorrow (Makers Faire in progress in New York today),

Chuck

#35739 timer question

Posted by carb on 22 September 2012 - 12:33 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

This is a little hard to explain so here go's
I have light on for 16 hours off for 8 forever loop
simple
I have another loop that kills the 1st one in 14 days
Is there a way to track the 1st loop
My problem is that when the main loop happens the light may have already been on 0-16 hours no way of knowing.
Would like to start it at the same time it left off.
My thinking is, I probably need an external clock.

Perkunas,

I may have miss understood your question, but if I didn't I would would pick a loop with a time of say 1 minute. Then on each loop I would increment a counter.

In visual Basic something like this (most likely not correct, meant only to get you started)
dim OnCounter as integer = 0
dim LightOn as boolean = false

OnCounter = OnCounter + 1
LightOn = (OnCounter > 0) and (OnCounter < 961)
if OnCounter > 1440 then
OnCounter = 0
end if

Then use the OnCounter to control a relay for the light.

Also easy to do in C#

Hope this helps.
Chuck

#36254 The GoBus Upgrade

Posted by carb on 29 September 2012 - 12:49 PM in Netduino Go

Chris and Elfs, Great job, Looks like I might have something other than coal under the Christmas tree this year. Have a great time at the Makers Faire. Then get back to work, please. B) Chuck

#44693 System.IO.Exception Occurs In MCP23008LcdTransferProvider Constructor

Posted by carb on 01 February 2013 - 01:15 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

MonsterHunter,

Wlecome to the forum.

I don't think that you can use A4 & A5 for I2C yet. The Netduino 2 Plus has its own SDA & SCL pins at the end of the DIO header. I think that you can tie the A4 to the SDA and A5 to the SCL with a jumper. At least until the firmware is updated to allow using the A4 & A5 connections.

Search for SDA & SCL on the forum uner the NP2+ and you should find additional information

Chuck

#39785 Switch input and output on same pin

Posted by carb on 21 November 2012 - 02:53 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I need to make a custom SCCB interface,
it requires change data pin's mode, input for reading, and output for writing,
How can I do that in C#?
Since NETMF only has one mode for a pin.

"OutputPort led = new OutputPort(Pins.ONBOARD_LED, false);"

Thanks

Sharethl,

Try searching for Tristate on the forum. Tristateport.

I have not used them before but I think that it what you may be looking for.

Chuck

#42719 Sure Electronics led-matrix driver

Posted by carb on 04 January 2013 - 03:56 PM in Project Showcase

Mario,

I am looking forward to seeing the driver that you are working on.

I have purchased 2 of the Sure Electronic's 32x16 matrixes and a USB controler but would like to use the NP2 spi instead.

By the way Happy New Year and thanks for all the great information that you provide here on the forum and in the HighFieldTale blog.

Chuck

#43713 STM DEVICE IN DFU MODE NOT RECOGNIZED IN MFDeploy

Posted by carb on 19 January 2013 - 12:44 AM in Netduino Go

Denisetoo,

MFDeploy does not read the board in dfu (boot loader) mode.

Just unplug and replug in the board, do not hold down the pushbutton.

Open MFDeploy, change from serial to usb and you should see the netduino listed.

Chuck

#35206 Sparkfun PIR motion sensor

Posted by carb on 14 September 2012 - 11:51 PM in Project Showcase

That's what I did. I unplugged the sensor and I read no power at all, well .0L which I think means open or infinite.

Giuliano,

Most multi meters that I have use 0L would mean overload or over ranged, does your meter have auto scaling? If not check that the meter is not in a milli volt range.

Most meters would indicate a voltage (in milli volt range) when not connected just from RF radiation.

Check your meter against a none source such as a AA battery, make sure you use a DC scale not AC. It should read about 1.5 vdc.

As far as the netduino you can hook a wire from the 3.3 volt header to the input pin that would be connected to the alarm. Then move the wire from the 3.3 volt header to ground. If program senses the change the netduino should be good.

Good luck,
Chuck

#36097 Sparkfun PIR motion sensor

Posted by carb on 28 September 2012 - 01:41 AM in Project Showcase

After hours of pulling my hair (luckily I have tons of it) can't get the SEN-08630 to work. When measuring with Multi-Meter, there is only 0.1V and no fluctuation at all. I am currently using a 10K Ohms Pull-up resistor. Do you think I am using the wrong Pull-up Resistor, should I use a 47 instead?

Giuliano,

This shouldn't be this hard to do. I didn't find any pictures of you setup and unfortunately I don't have one of the PIR sensors, but I can wire it with a switch maybe tommorrow.

A couple of things:
1. I would stick with the 10k ohm resistor, in a previous post you said that you were considering trying a 47 ohm (hope you meant 47k ohm). This resistor limits the current through the sensors and restore a positive voltage (logic level 1) on the input pin.

2. I would use a digital IO for input, they are 5vdc tolerant, plus less coding to make it work, ie. either true or false.

3. On the Sparkfun datasheet it says that the input voltage for the sensor is 12vdc. The Bildr article shows it using 5vdc. But without ordering a sensor I can't try it. If it does need 12vdc then there are several ways of connecting it to the Netduino (do not apply 12vdc to the Netduino).

4. Make sure that you do not expose the sensor directly towards the sun if using outdoors, PIRs don't like that much IR radiation.

Chuck

#36222 Sparkfun PIR motion sensor

Posted by carb on 29 September 2012 - 01:47 AM in Project Showcase

Hi Chuck,

No, I didn't get a chance to take a picture of my wiring, also Yes, I was talking about a 47K but didn't get a chance to try it and will stick to the 10K. I am using a digital IO for input. I will try with 12V as suggested and see but first I will try Dave's suggestion to wait at least 1-2 minutes before reading any values and see.

Thank you so much for your input.

Use a voltmeter before connecting to the DIO just to make sure that we don't send to much voltage to it.

Chuck

#42851 [Suggestion] Additional sections

Posted by carb on 06 January 2013 - 12:04 PM in General Discussion

JMiljours,

That is exactly what I was talking about, and I think that it will help. I was in Montreal for a couple of winters a long time ago. What French I learned then is about gone. I may be able to still order food but thats about it. But we can work on it if need be.

Chuck

#42822 [Suggestion] Additional sections

Posted by carb on 05 January 2013 - 06:54 PM in General Discussion

I agree that keeping the forum in english will provide the most responses to questions.

But I would also like to reccommend that individuals provide their location (at least the country) this will allow us to have an idea of the native language and the time zone that they are located in.

You can also list the languages that you speak in the member area. That way you may find someone that speaks your primary language that you can contact by private message for additional help.

Chuck

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.