Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

What's the best Netduino go go for atm ?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Frederik Prijck

Frederik Prijck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBelgium, Ghent

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hi all, First of all, sorry if this question is asked multiple times already. I've done some searching but did not manage to find an answer to my question. Ive been doing c# development for the past 6 years. Three years ago I did some microchip programming in school. This has been my coolest course ever, so I have always been interested in exploring those microchip programming things. First I have been focussing on my daytime job, since I'm only working for the last 3years now. So now I would like to buy myself a microship... Since I am a c# developer, I think it is a good choice to go for the netduino. But my big question is, which one is better to go for? Go or plus 2 ? I do not realy get the difference... If any of you could explain me in which cases i'd go for which netduino ? Thanks

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi voltje, If you want to focus on code and leverage plug-and-play electronics components, Netduino Go is the best option. If you are comfortable with a soldering iron (or want to become so) or want the most "value per dollar" solution, Netduino Plus 2 is an amazing value and it has Ethernet and MicroSD integrated on board. Whichever way you go, you're making a good investment. Both platforms will be getting new accessories and new features over the months to come. Chris

#3 Frederik Prijck

Frederik Prijck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBelgium, Ghent

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hi Chris, First of all, thanks for replying. I am not comfortable with a soldering iron yet, but I am wondering if I go for the Netduino GO, am I limited to the netduino plug and play components ? Let's say on a day I want to control a little car using netduino (like I know is possible with arduino) can we still get this done using the GO version? I'm mostly scared for the GO version because I have the idea that you are limited to the modules from netduino... Or am I completely wrong here ? I think I will prefer the GO version in the beginning anyway, to make it easier to find my way around inside the Netduino. But looking more to the future, could you explain me more about my questions mentioned above? Thanks

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hi Frederik, The Netduino Go Starter Kit includes a Shield Base (currently in beta -- but all the features but I2C are already supported). This will let you use Arduino shields like a Netduino Plus 2 would. Netduino Go is designed to free you from ecosystem limitations. As an example it has adapters that let you use Arduino Shields and soon Gadgeteer/Grove/INEX modules as well. It's open source. You'll probably choose to use native GoBus modules as they become available...but the mainboard itself lets you pull in other technologies as well. It's our super-board :) Chris

#5 Frederik Prijck

Frederik Prijck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBelgium, Ghent

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

So basicly, (almost) everything you can do with the plus can be done with the GO?

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

So basicly, (almost) everything you can do with the plus can be done with the GO?

The goal with Netduino Go is to be the ultimate development board.

Right now we're waiting for the SD card and Ethernet modules for Netduino Go to ship. Once those ship, Netduino Go will do pretty much everything that Netduino Plus 2 can do--and more.

Chris

#7 Frederik Prijck

Frederik Prijck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBelgium, Ghent

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Alright, so atm the GO will not let you communicate using ethernet modules, but we can using the shields ? As an addition to trying to understand the netduino GO: Is the following setup possible using the GO? http://g33k.blogspot...-this-post.html This setup describes perfectly the way I used to do back in college. (using the breadbord and jumper wires, are these availble when working with the GO?)

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Alright, so atm the GO will not let you communicate using ethernet modules, but we can using the shields ?

Once the Ethernet GoBus module ships, you'll be able to use high-speed networking directly. In the meantime, you should be able to use the Arduino Ethernet shield...sure. If you use one of the new ones that require ICSP headers you will need to sandwich a MakerShield in between the Shield Basse and shield, to expose the 6-pin ICSP header. The Arduino Ethernet shield is also several times slower than the native Ethernet solution.

Is the following setup possible using the GO? http://g33k.blogspot...-this-post.html

This setup describes perfectly the way I used to do back in college. (using the breadbord and jumper wires, are these availble when working with the GO?)

Oh absolutely. That's one of my favorite projects, actually.

Chris

#9 Frederik Prijck

Frederik Prijck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBelgium, Ghent

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

The Arduino Ethernet shield is also several times slower than the native Ethernet solution.

What do you mean with the native Ethernet solution?

And I'm pretty convinced in buying the GO one, but I am wondering what I need extra to be able to use a breadboard, since I realy like toying around with those boards. or is that shield included when buying the GO?

http://fabienroyer.f.../netduinogo.jpg

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi Frederik,

What do you mean with the native Ethernet solution?

Oh, when I say "native Ethernet" I mean the Ethernet GoBus module. It supports the native NETMF classes (System.Net.Socket, HttpWebRequest, etc.)

And I'm pretty convinced in buying the GO one, but I am wondering what I need extra to be able to use a breadboard, since I realy like toying around with those boards. or is that shield included when buying the GO?

I would recommend picking up a MakerShield, which comes with a mini breadboard. Or buying a breadboard and setting it next to your Shield Base. The Shield Base does come in today's Netduino Go Starter Kit.

Chris

#11 Frederik Prijck

Frederik Prijck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBelgium, Ghent

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Ok, then 2 more things... Development wise, is it the same thing calling the digital outputs of the Go module compared to e.g. the digital outputs directly located on the Netduino plus ? Or is it different since we are calling a specific Digital Out in a specific GO bus... Is it adviced to already buy the GO? Since I can see there is alot "comming soon"? Or is the Netduini GO itself 100% final and is it just the modules which are coming soon? Sorry for all those (maybe stupid) questions and thanks again for helping me out!

#12 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

http://fabienroyer.f.../netduinogo.jpg

What you see on the picture is the Netduino Go Starter Kit, if you just order the Netduino Go, you don't get any modules or the shieldbase.

I have a Netduino Go Starter Kit, and i find it quite limiting, as the shieldbase has been in Beta for quite some time, and there has been a lot of small things that is not working.

I think the new Netduino Plus 2, will give you more freedom, and if your goal is to learn more about basic digital electronics, this is IMHO the one to get. You don't really have to use a soldering iron if you can make things on a breadboard.

The Netduino Plus 2 is based on almost the same MCU as the Netduino Go, it has built in ethernet and persistent storage (SD Card), the Go has none of that, everything has to be added with modules, and while the GoBus protocol is very advanced and very promising there are not a lot of modules out there, and most of them is very simple, this will probably change in the future.

As soon as i saw the Netduino Plus 2, i realized that this was exactly the one i needed, and i ordered 2 right away, i'm still happy with the Go, but the modules seem to take forever to surface, and the shieldbase is still in beta, and IMHO very limited compared to a Netduino Plus 2.

The Netduino Go and the GoBus is a very clever solution, and development of a module is not something you just do, the GoBus itself has a very big potential, but as always with very advanced tech, it takes either a lot of time or a lot of money, and in the prototype business all we can hope of getting, is time...

My advise to you is to go for both a Netduino Go Starter Kit and a Netduino Plus 2, if you can't afford both, skip the Go until you can.

- Ulrik

#13 Frederik Prijck

Frederik Prijck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBelgium, Ghent

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

That was abit the feeling I had, that the GO realy is a great thing but it might be a little to soon...

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

To add to what Ulrik said (which was a very thoughtful post BTW):

Development wise, is it the same thing calling the digital outputs of the Go module compared to e.g. the digital outputs directly located on the Netduino plus ? Or is it different since we are calling a specific Digital Out in a specific GO bus...

Yes, they are identical. For Shield Base, you'll create an OutputPort using for instance "ShieldBase.Pins.GPIO_PIN_D1". On Netduino Plus 2, you use "Pins.GPIO_PIN_D1". GoBus is virtual I/O so the two are code-compatible. You will want to make sure to specify which shield base you want to use for pins (as we will be enabling multiple simultaneous Shield Bases in a future firmware update).

Is it adviced to already buy the GO? Since I can see there is alot "comming soon"?
Or is the Netduini GO itself 100% final and is it just the modules which are coming soon?

Sorry for all those (maybe stupid) questions and thanks again for helping me out!

If you're an early adopter or like playing with the new plug-and-play gear and want to have the latest and greatest for the future, Netduino Go is a good pick. The hardware is production hardware and the mainboard's software works well...but as with many new ecosystems it will take about a year for accessories to really start filling out.

Enjoy your new gear, whichever you pick up :)

Chris

#15 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ulrik,

I think the new Netduino Plus 2, will give you more freedom, and if your goal is to learn more about basic digital electronics, this is IMHO the one to get. You don't really have to use a soldering iron if you can make things on a breadboard.

I agree that the N+2 would be a good starting point, it has the essentials on the board. And the price is right.

I have a Netduino Go Starter Kit, and i find it quite limiting, as the shieldbase has been in Beta for quite some time, and there has been a lot of small things that is not working.

As to the Go, Yes and No, it depends on the applications that you have in mind. If you are prototyping a project or need to build a module to do exactly what you want the Go is a great platform.

As for the time in Beta for the shieldbase, there are a lot of things that influence that, change in parts, availability of parts, change in visual studios, changes in NETMF, hurricanes and upgrades to existing products (N+2). Also if I remember correctly the release date of the Go was 4/8/12. It has come a long way. The number of existing module and the pending addition of GHI modules amazes me. I have tryed to buy all of the product line and I think that I have all of the available modules and consider them all a good investment.

Chuck

#16 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

That was abit the feeling I had, that the GO realy is a great thing but it might be a little to soon...

That depends on what you goal is, i find it very interesting to follow how this is evolving, how are things solved, what ends up working, and what ends up not working very well. I dig very deep into the code in the SDK's to understand the how and why's, and i hope to be able to contribute some day, but the micro world is still very new to me.

I picked up the Go to learn about electronics in general, by that i mean all the stuff you can connect to a MCU, how does it work, instead i have been very entertained/educated in how does electronics communicate with each other, and what tools are available in the .NET Micro Framework compared to the framework on the PC.

I was very close to picking up a Netduino Plus 1, but i guess the Go have spoiled me a little, it's much more powerful, so it felt like a step back.

The Netduino Plus 2 is as powerful as a Go, and the release just made me feel like now was the right time to spend some nights fiddling with sensors and stuff like that.

Naturally the Netduino Plus 2 should/could have been here before the Go, but Secret Labs understood that the Go would take much long to mature, so they made it first.

Obviously they did not have the capacity/money to make both at the same time, so the geeks won over the finance guys, and somehow they made it.

Now they have a super fast duino running NETMF, AND a very promising bid on what could turn out to be the ultimate Gadgeteer killer, it has already been on the market for almost a year, and keeps going stronger every day.

I think the Gadegeteer oriented companies will fail with their dasylink approach, but it clearly shows us that they are very aware where the future is.

- Ulrik

#17 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

so the geeks won over the finance guys, and somehow they made it.

Shh, don't tell anybody :)

And yes, that's how we roll! We have to make sure we don't lose money creating the new technology and the new hardware...but otherwise we just try to break through barriers and delight users.

Take care of and be honest to your users and the investment will pay itself back. Or at least that's the theory...it has worked out well so far.

Chris

#18 Frederik Prijck

Frederik Prijck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBelgium, Ghent

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

Btw what's the best place to buy the Plus 2 ? Since here I do not seem to find anything about whether it is plus 2 or not... http://www.pieterflo...?id_product=271 And I'm not fully convinced about http://shop.microframework.eu/

#19 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hi Frederik

Btw what's the best place to buy the Plus 2 ? Since here I do not seem to find anything about whether it is plus 2 or not...
http://www.pieterflo...?id_product=271

And I'm not fully convinced about http://shop.microframework.eu/

Floris does not have Netduino Plus 2 on their site yet, but we should be shipping them boards within the next few days. I would contact them and place an order manually.

UAM will also be getting a shipment, so you should be good to go there too. We're shipping boards out to resellers in waves; I would check with UAM to verify that they're getting enough units in the first wave for you.

Chris

#20 Frederik Prijck

Frederik Prijck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBelgium, Ghent

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

So UAM still has a view available after they have received the next shipment. Tho, They are still waiting the date on which they will receive the goods. Do you have any idea whether this will be days, weeks or months ? Btw, If I am correct the GO version is still "beta" where as the Plus 2 version is not, correct ? Coz else, if they are both BETA I'd go for the GO version... If not i'd prefer to go for the non-beta one to start with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.