Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Coding Smackdown's Content

There have been 72 items by Coding Smackdown (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#30842 Wireless RGB lamp

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 18 June 2012 - 07:34 PM in Project Showcase

Nice idea!

#21192 What's the best component for switching AC Power

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 30 November 2011 - 11:35 PM in General Discussion

Magpie, I actually had drawn up my original circuit based on that exact diagram, I guess I got a little carried away thinking that maybe I was being too cautious. But looking at the specs on the Brew Trollers, their relays are only handling 10A at 240V, so my 30A at 240V should be more than safe enough. Now I just have to spend a fortune on water tight connectors and all of the rest of the hardware. The money I spend on my toys is outrageous!

#21129 What's the best component for switching AC Power

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 29 November 2011 - 10:22 PM in General Discussion

I'm in the process of building an Electric Homebrewing system and I am planning on using the Netduino as the process controller. This means I'll need to use the outputs from the Netduino to turn on and off 120V and 240V AC devices, mostly motors and heating elements based on temperature readings. I've built the control interface and have the temperature monitoring circuit and code working just fine, now I'm ready to build out the power switching circuits and add the code to control the power to the devices. I've purchased some nice T9AS5D22-12 30 Amp 240V AC board mount relays, but was wondering if this was overkill. I'm needing to power one 120V 15 AMP Pump and one 5500W 240V electric heating element. Could I get away with some heavy duty power switching transistors or would it be safer to stick with the relays? I've looked at the BrewTroller boards which are built for the Arduino, but can't quite figure out what they are using to perform the switching. Any ideas what would work best? Thanks

#21157 What's the best component for switching AC Power

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 30 November 2011 - 02:02 PM in General Discussion

Magpie, You are right about it being in the spirit of brewing your own beer. If I'm too damn stubborn to buy my beer off a shelf at the bottle store, why would I not make my own components. I appreciate the good advise. I do not plan on cycling the pump on and off, it will be on for 60 to 90 minutes when I recirculate the mash and then on for 20 to 30 minutes when I use it to push cold water to cool the wort. However I believe the heating element will be cycled on and off quite a bit as I try to maintain a constant temperature between two thermocouples during the mash which lasts for 60 to 90 minutes. During the boil the heating element will be on all the time which could go as long as a couple of hours.

#35984 Websockets on Netduino Plus

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 25 September 2012 - 07:10 PM in General Discussion

Welcome to the forums! I've done something similar that might be a good starting point for you. I'm using a Netduino Plus to control an electric brewing system via a web interface. You can find the source code out on GitHub - https://github.com/l...yTempController you want to look specifically at the CodingSmackdown.ControllerInterface project which requires Visual Studio Web Express and I think ASP.MVC 3 Library to open. The other project you want to look at is the CodingSmackdown.TemperatureController project which hosts a web server based on the NeonMika.NETMF.Webserver library along witha couple of custom modules to respond to commands and return data. If you build the web interface using responsive design, you should be able to create something that will work not only an Android, but any type of device with a browser that supports JavaScript. Hope this gets you moving forward!

#21199 Web Based Temperature Logger

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 01 December 2011 - 02:23 AM in Project Showcase

Hey everyone, Thought I would share my latest project with everyone. I'm building a process control system for an Electric Brew System. So to help me vet out all of the functionality I've been putting it together a piece at a time. To start with I wanted a nice web based user interface that would allow me to configure and monitor the mash, boil and cooling profiles of the entire brewing process. So I started off with the web-based user interface and the temperature monitoring since that is probably the simplest part of the entire process. So the solution so far has been a cobbling together of several libraries: Thanks to Markus VV and his NeonMika.Webserver project over at http://neonmikawebserver.codeplex.com/ I had a really quick time of putting together a JSON based control interface that would allow me to configure the temperature logging parameters as well as monitor the temperature using a couple of jQuery plug-ins. All of the files used by the interface are stored on the SD Card. The initial load of the page is a little slow, but I'm pulling down about 20 files in all, along with live data requests to get the current temperature, the temperature history and the settings. I incorporated a NETBIOS Name Resolution library and NTP Client library from Nicholas3 over at http://code.tinyclr.com which allowed me to make the Netduino Plus reachable by name across the network while using DHCP as well as update the system clock without having to resort to adding a Real Time Clock. I also incorporated a JSON generation library by Wouter Huysentruit over at http://code.tinyclr.com to extend the NeonMika.Webserver to quickly send back my data in JSON format. The temperature probe I built was based on a ADA Fruit tutorial on how to interface the TMP36 Temperature sensor to an Arduino. I also placed a 1uF capacitor across the 3.3V and Ground as well as a 1mH inductor between 3.3V and ARef to help cut down on some of the noise I was seeing from the Ethernet port. My original readings were back and forth across several hundred millivolts when I was taking readings very close to each other and the great advice that the folks in the forums had about this problem really helped me to cut down most of the noise. You can find a great discussion on the topic at http://forums.netdui...ading-accuracy/ But just to be safe all of the temperature readings are based on an average of 100 reads, this really seemed to help smooth out the readings even more. I've attached a couple of screen shots of the User Interface and of the very simple temperature probe circuit and schematic. I'm in the process of building out a quicky shield and cutting up a project box so I can have everything in one nice to handle box about the size of a cellphone. Once I'm done with the construction I'll post some pics of the final logger in its case. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• Index.png
  • Settings.png
  • breadboard.png
  • schematic.png

#21591 Web Based Temperature Logger

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 11 December 2011 - 08:54 PM in Project Showcase

I spent some time this weekend putting together a shield for the temp monitor circuit. I used a piece of tri-board, cut it down to the size of shield and then added the components. Attached are a couple of pictures of it. Hope you enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• Shield1.jpg
  • shield2.JPG

#21592 Web Based Temperature Logger

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 11 December 2011 - 08:57 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Coding Smackdown,

It's possible to download the source of this project?

Thanks,

Ludo

As far as source code, I'm going to try and load it up on to codeplex this week. Issue with loading up here is that the file size is too big and I'd have to upload multiple posts and If I update it, you wouldn't have the latest.

But I'll definitely update this post once I get it up on codeplex. In the meantime, if you need it you can send me a message via the forums with your email and I'll send it to you.

#21606 Web Based Temperature Logger

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 12 December 2011 - 05:27 AM in Project Showcase

As far as source code, I'm going to try and load it up on to codeplex this week. Issue with loading up here is that the file size is too big and I'd have to upload multiple posts and If I update it, you wouldn't have the latest.

But I'll definitely update this post once I get it up on codeplex. In the meantime, if you need it you can send me a message via the forums with your email and I'll send it to you.

I took a little time this afternoon and put the entire project up on codeplex you can find source code, schematic and eventually documentation at http://diybrewerytem...r.codeplex.com/

Enjoy!

#30215 tpa81 i2c sensor read error with net cable connected

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 05 June 2012 - 05:29 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

One of the forums members did a pretty exhaustive test around ADC noise and that is probably what you are seeing. You can find his write up at http://highfieldtale...se-of-netduino/ Hope this helps.

#21242 Total Newbie Temperature Project

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 02 December 2011 - 05:18 AM in General Discussion

My temp readings are all over the place. Can someone please double check my setup?

I experienced the same thing. You are probably experiencing some noise from the Ethernet interface.

There is another thread in the forum that discusses the issue in some depth.

http://forums.netdui...ading-accuracy/

It is best to hook a .1uF capacitor between 3.3V and Ground to help drop some of the noise. If that doesn't work add a 1mH inductor between the ARef port and 3.3V.

I still had a lot of noise from the senors so I ended up performing 100 reads of the port and then averaging the reading:

int totalReads = 0;

for(int x = 1; x < 100; x++)
{
totalReads += Port.Read();
Thread.Sleep(10);
}

float reading = totalReads / 100;

This seems to work pretty good and is pretty fast for normal monitoring. It may not be the best performance wise, but you can vary the number of reads until you get a good smooth value back.

BTW: Are the two outer leads of your sensor actually hooked to anything? Your circuit looks strange since the two side rails on my breadboard do not have any connection to the inner holes. Try moving the pins over to the first set of holes that your leads are connected to and see if that makes a difference. Take a look at the breadboard diagram I did of my circuit here http://forums.netdui...erature-logger/ the TMP36 is pretty much pin compatible with the LM35.

Cheers!

#21093 Total Newbie Temperature Project

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 29 November 2011 - 04:40 AM in General Discussion

got my netduino today, but can't look at it until Thursday (homework and a major release at work). Im sorry im such a newbie, but from the tutorials Ive looked at I was going to feed my sensors from the 3.3v output on the netdiuno, is this not what i should be using to power it?

Also if i were to power LED's from the netduino, which size resistor do i need to step down the 3.3v port? 1/2 watt 68Ohm? Anyone know of a good tutorial link for doing basic things with LEDs?

Thanks!

I've got several TMP36 sensors running off of the 3.3V supply. I think if you were going to say multiplex a lot of sensors then you might want to look into a different power source, but you should be OK.

If you want a good tutorial that covers LEDs check out the Netduino for Beginners post in the General Discussion area, its really good.

I'm finishing up a temperature monitoring project for my walk-in fermenter that has a web based interface. Once I have it all complete I'll post it to the forum to give you some ideas.

Cheers

#20983 Total Newbie Temperature Project

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 25 November 2011 - 10:18 PM in General Discussion

Are you planning on doing temperature monitoring or temperature control?

#29903 Thermistor help need

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 29 May 2012 - 03:21 AM in General Discussion

I've been working on an Electric Brew System Controller that I used to replace the controller in a Cajun Injector Electric Turkey Fryer. I've been using a TMP36 sensor along with the built in thermistor that is built into the heating element. I water proofed the TMP36 sensor by using a 1 foot length of 1/4 OD copper tubing and a 1/4 copper cap. I used Marine Epoxy on both ends to help keep the water out. I really did not notice that big of a lag in the thermistor compared to the TMP36 sensor. They both seemed to be pretty accurate side by side once I figured out the proper coefficients for the Stein-Hart Calculations. I also found a simpler version of the Stein-Hart Calculation over at http://thermistor.sourceforge.net/ that might cut down on the CPU a bit. There is also a nice little program that will calculate the coefficients based on a series of resistance and temperature measurements in case you can't find a part number or coefficients for a thermistor you might be using. I know it helped me out quite a bit since the manufacturer does provide enough detail about the parts used to put together their unit. If you are interested in the source for the controller you can find the source at https://github.com/l...TempController. Currently it is for a Netduino Plus, but I'll more than likely be converting it over to a Gadgeteer device soon, since things are getting pretty cramped.

#31065 The best calculation between 2 times

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 22 June 2012 - 12:21 PM in Visual Basic Support

Have you tried using DateTime.Subtract? This returns a TimeSpan object that has both values that can then be used. Cheers

#21442 Speech Synthesis

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 07 December 2011 - 12:43 PM in General Discussion

Actually if you do some searching on the web you might be able to find an old version of code that allows you to play back phonemes together to make speech. I did it way back in the 80s on a timex sinclair 1000 and it was better than the mechanical sounding chip processors.

#21000 simple put to localhost confusing

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 26 November 2011 - 02:27 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

You have to remember that a web server will only answer requests on the port that you configure it for. If you only have the server configured to listen on the default port which is port 80 then your request will fail on port 8080. To get the web server to respond on port 8080 you need to configure the web server to listen on other ports. If you double check the Apache docs, they should show you how to configure the web server to listen on additional ports. Otherwise, just don't try the request on port 8080.

#30311 Running an interactive console on a NETMF device

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 06 June 2012 - 01:18 PM in General Discussion

I have a Temperature Monitoring Project out on codeplex that I put together for my Walk-In Beer Cooler. It might be a good start for what you want. You can find the code at http://diybrewerytem...r.codeplex.com/ Hope this helps you out.

#29975 PWM Ports and Relay Switching Question

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 30 May 2012 - 04:27 AM in General Discussion

Thanks Guys, I thought I had read that somewhere, but I wanted to make sure before I went down that path. Right now I'm trying to keep from making any changes to the fryer unit if possible. The only thing I've done so far was to re-route the wiring to my Netduino Controller, everything else I left in alone. Down the road if I need to have more precise control over the heating element, I'll look into replacing the existing mechanical relay with a Solid State Relay that I can use the PWM feature on.

#29930 PWM Ports and Relay Switching Question

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 29 May 2012 - 02:45 PM in General Discussion

I'm in the process of building a brewing controller that will be used to control an existing heating element used on an electric turkey fryer. My goal has been to mod the existing unit without replacing much of the existing parts. As the system is now, the heating element is turned on and off by a 12VDC relay. I've got this working quite well by using a normal IO pin and turning it on and off. What I would like to do is as the temperature of the beer gets close to my goal temperature use one of the PWM ports to change the duty cycle from 100% to 50% on down to 0% as I get closer and closer. This way I'm hoping to reduce the amount of temperature drift in the overall system. When I started playing with the PWM port and varying the duty cycle I noticed that the voltage readings were strange, at 50% Duty cycle I was only seeing 1.6 volts instead of 3.3 volts. Maybe this is because I am using a multi-meter instead of looking at it with an actual scope. Does anyone know what I should be seeing? Also, is varying PWM duty cycles with a relay a really good idea? I've read where it's not an issue with solid state relays but I'm uncertain about normal relays. Thanks

#29905 Professional's Guide To .NET Micro Framework Application Development Book

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 29 May 2012 - 04:36 AM in General Discussion

I didn't see anyone else post about this, so I thought I would give everybody a heads up. A new book was released about the .Net Micro Framework called, Professional's Guide To .NET Micro Framework Application Development. I picked up a copy on Amazon on the Kindle for a decent price. It does include examples for the Netduino as well as other .NET Micro Framework devices. I wouldn't call it a beginner's guide, but its not that advanced either. It is based on a training program provided by Annabooks, they provide quite a few example programs to explain each section. So far, what I've read is pretty good for an intermediate guide. Here are the book details from the Annabooks web site: Professional's Guide to .NET Micro Framework Application Development By John R. Malin and Sean D. Liming The Microsoft .NET Micro Framework brings Microsoft’s embedded expertise to resource-constrained devices, allowing device makers to bring products to market faster and at lower cost. TCP/IP and Web Services for devices functionality makes the .NET Micro Framework a compelling platform for a new generation of smart, connected, service-oriented devices. Its compact footprint (as little as 64 kilobytes) and support for 32-bit embedded processors without an MMU help keep per-device costs low, and a managed driver model makes it easier to develop device drivers. .NET Micro Framework applications are written in C# using either Visual Studio 2010 or Visual® C# Express 2010 Edition. Professional’s Guide to .NET Micro Framework Application Development provides the most advanced treatment of the .NET Micro Framework SDK available. Over 40 hands-on exercises guide the developer through the tools and APIs available in the .NET Micro Framework SDK. Nineteen chapters cover the basic operation, hardware I/O support, basic networking, graphical interfaces, storage, and the final sample projects to tie the different features together. Example Visual Studio® projects are available for the most popular .NET MF platforms on the market. Table of Contents SECTION 1 – INTRODUCTION AND C# BASICS 1 WELCOME 2 DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM SETUP AND TARGET HARDWARE CHOICES 3 .NET MICRO FRAMEWORK OVERVIEW SECTION 2 – .NET MICRO FRAMEWORK SDK AND THE PROCESS LOOP 4 THE .NET MICRO FRAMEWORK SDK AND THE FIRST .NET MICRO FRAMEWORK APPLICATION 5 INNER PROCESS MECHANICS SECTION 3 – HARDWARE I/O 6 GENERAL PURPOSE INPUT/OUTPUT PINS 7 SERIAL PORTS 8 SERIAL PERIPHERAL INTERFACE (SPI) 9 PULSE WIDTH MODULATION (PWM) 10 ANALOG-TO-DIGITAL CONVERTER (ADC) 11 ETHERNET SECTION 4 – GRAPHIC USER INTERFACE 12 BITMAP CLASS 13 WINDOWS PRESENTATION FOUNDATION CLASS 14 TOUCHSCREEN AND INK SECTION 5 – STORAGE 15 FLASH STORAGE 16 EXTENDED WEAK REFERENCES SECTION 6 – PROJECTS 17 MIGRATE APPLICATIONS TO A NEW PLATFORM 18 ROBOT PROJECT: TRAXSTER II 19 ROBOT PROJECT 2: STINGER Hope everyone finds this useful.

#29928 Professional's Guide To .NET Micro Framework Application Development Book

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 29 May 2012 - 02:09 PM in General Discussion

It does not look to be available in print, I checked both Amazon and www.annabooks.com. However Amazon does provide a free Kindle E-book Reader for both PC and Mac if that helps at all.

#30896 Professional's Guide To .NET Micro Framework Application Development Book

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 19 June 2012 - 03:24 PM in General Discussion

For the price Annabooks is selling it for, You could buy a Kindle reader and all the books for the Netduino and still have money left over.

#36058 Play WAV File

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 27 September 2012 - 01:01 PM in General Discussion

Check out this thread. It should give you a good idea of how to play a WAV File. http://forums.netdui...-finally-works/ Cheers!

#37387 OnInterrupt firing multiple times

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 18 October 2012 - 01:30 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

You are running into switch bounce which is a common problem. You can get rid of it by using The time passed into the function to check when the last time the button was pressed and ensure you reject any interrupts within a predefined period of time. Below is an example I'm using for my Brew Controller, I will only act on the interrupt if it has been more than 200 milliseconds since the last time I acted upon it.

public static void EngageHeaterButton_OnInterrupt(uint data1, uint data2, DateTime time) 
{
  if (engageHeaterButtonLastPushed.AddMilliseconds(200) > time)
    return;
  // button press state received in data2
  // 0 = open, 1 = pressed
  if (data2 == 1)
  {
    PinManagement.heaterEngaged = true;
  }
  _displayHelper.DisplayText("Heater|Engaged");
  engageHeaterButtonLastPushed = time;
}

Hope this helps you out.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.