Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Illishar's Content

There have been 146 items by Illishar (Search limited from 09-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#6037 Unstable USB connector

Posted by Illishar on 13 December 2010 - 06:36 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hello there, I've just recieved my Netduino Plus and I had it up and running (switch, led, etc.) within 10 minutes. No documentation read or anything. LOL Anyway I've just noticed that the usb connector is very unstable. If I lift the wire from the table (or touch it in an upward direction really) the board will disconnect. (Power failure) I assume that it's just my board that's "Dead on arrival" or what?

#6078 Unstable USB connector

Posted by Illishar on 14 December 2010 - 12:24 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I could be the cable, yes. We tried pluggin it (the cable) into a HTC phone, which showed the same symptoms. (Either that or we have bad HTC as well.) I've ordered a new wire.

#6113 Unstable USB connector

Posted by Illishar on 15 December 2010 - 09:19 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I've now recieved my new cable and it seems to work much better. Also when I compare the cables, I see that the new one has slightly bigger teeth than the old one. (MicroUSB has small teeth on the plug it seems.)

#6114 Save Custom Settings

Posted by Illishar on 15 December 2010 - 10:57 AM in General Discussion

Hello there, Is there a way to save/commit/write your own custom settings on the Netduinos? Eg. if you have a value (set by the user) and you would like to keep it after reboot. I would like to do this, without using a SD card. The deployed app is written to the permanent (internal) flash, so it *is* possible somehow. But how? Theoreticly I could just avoid initializing my variables and the last written value would still be there. Or perhaps that's not the way it works? In the same area: Is there a way to write to the static IP settings etc. on the N+? (Without using the MFDeploy ofc.)

#6115 Save Custom Settings

Posted by Illishar on 15 December 2010 - 11:24 AM in General Discussion

I may have found some of the answer. ExtendedWeakReferences! There's a sample in the SDK. Or what? Anyone got experience in this area?

#6117 Save Custom Settings

Posted by Illishar on 15 December 2010 - 12:39 PM in General Discussion

Actually I think that EWR *is* the best answer. (I'll create a new post with the IP question.)

#6122 Save Custom Settings

Posted by Illishar on 15 December 2010 - 03:49 PM in General Discussion

Hm, most likely I only need 2 bytes of storage. (A few extra wouldn't hurt though.) An eeprom seems somewhat overkill when we got 512kb permanent storage. :-/ But fair enough.

#6123 Save Custom Settings

Posted by Illishar on 15 December 2010 - 03:53 PM in General Discussion

Perhaps I could recompile the tinyclr (with a RVDS compiler) and discard some of the unneeded stuff in return for EWR ... Hmmm

#6125 Save Custom Settings

Posted by Illishar on 15 December 2010 - 04:32 PM in General Discussion

This is interesting, if you open the N+ fw source, the DataStorage (EWR) is already included. I think I'll test it ... tomorrow.

#6251 Save Custom Settings

Posted by Illishar on 19 December 2010 - 02:01 PM in General Discussion

Option 3 sounds really interesting. 8k is a lot. Plenty space for both system settings and a few custom settings. And it sounds like it's less costly that EWR. And I didn't knew that the EnableStaticIP would commit to flash. Very nice! (Although one could've wished for a better name perhaps.)

#6252 USB Interface – Need High Speed Device Support

Posted by Illishar on 19 December 2010 - 02:15 PM in General Discussion

How about using Ethernet instead perhaps? (100 mbps) Or perhaps SPI? (Plenty throughput) Both are very much supported on the Netduino ;)

#6278 Ethernet - MFDeploy Ping query

Posted by Illishar on 20 December 2010 - 12:20 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

The N+ still have a few malfunctions in regard to Ethernet it seems. There're constantly popping up posts like yours. (They're working on it, I've read.) Something with lwIP. The current fix is, never to unplug your ethernet. Ever! :P

#6321 TTL to RS232 (including DTR)

Posted by Illishar on 21 December 2010 - 12:28 PM in General Discussion

Hello there, I seek a small premade piece of hw that will let me communicate with RS232. I currently use a RS232 Shifter SMD from Sparkfun, which work fine: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/449 But I also need to access the DTR line (pin 4). I could use one of the digital pins for this purpose. It just have to be converted to +(10-12)V. (Hence the "Shifter".) I'm not very good with soldering, so I'd prefere something simple, like the one from Sparkfun. Does anyone know a "bigger" RS232 Shifter? Or something else that's simple enough to help me?

#6323 TTL to RS232 (including DTR)

Posted by Illishar on 21 December 2010 - 02:04 PM in General Discussion

I've found this one: http://fcelectronics...or-avrpicarmgps But it's 5V. You think that will work with the Netduinos?

#6365 Xml Reader

Posted by Illishar on 22 December 2010 - 08:44 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Yes, it is. (There's no System.Xml.XmlDocument though) Why not just boot up your VS and see for yourself btw? The netmf can run off emulators so you don't even need a Netduino, to test it.

#6889 Firmware complication guide

Posted by Illishar on 03 January 2011 - 08:56 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

The PK documentation gives a fair walkthrough I think. Otherwise here's the resumé: 1. Download the PK and the Netduino source. 2. Acquire ARM compiler. The free gnu version perhaps. 3. Make sure the ARM compiler is setup correctly. Eg. the gcc command should be available from your prompt. 4. Open your prompt and go to the PK. Execute the valid compiler (setup) script. Eg. setenv_gcc.cmd 5. Go to the Netduino solution. You most likely want to compile the tinyclr. Go to that. Call Make command. Eg. "Make /t:Release" I think. 6. Pray that it's working

#6893 Firmware WIsh List

Posted by Illishar on 03 January 2011 - 09:39 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Odd that you care so much about the NetBios name. It's just a name, it takes up space and it's somewhat redundant if you use a static IP. Meh. Anyway I just want to add my 2 cents: Adding custom functionality to the Netduinos seems very tempting at first glance. The more the marrier. But you should be careful with this line of thinking. Custom useful code for Netduino will profit us/you in the short run. And most netmf manufactors are doing just this, these days. (Creating a better, more useful platform for their own customers.) In the long run however, this will create a diverted netmf. Perhaps even branched. Which in turn will eventually break down the netmf and thereby also the Netduinos. The additions such as One-Wire, Math.Log etc. are great though. But they should be commited to the netmf 4.2 repository as primary goal. As secondary goal we could discuss whether they also should be added to the Netduino 4.1 or if you should offer a premature version of the netmf 4.2. A premature 4.2 would be interesting anyway and it would fit nicely on your wish list ;) My personal wish list: - Ethernet bug fixing - "Option 3" for saving custom data on board. (Yeh I know, this is custom non netmf functionality as well.) - More of the .NET Framework. (Whatever that is.)

#6897 How does it compare to sjjmicro's EDK ?

Posted by Illishar on 03 January 2011 - 09:56 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I've talked a little with the owner (I think) from sjjmicro. The EDK board is indeed very interesting. 60$ for a board that makes the N+ look like a speck of dust is impressive. However, all about sjjmicro is *very* closed. No schematics, no source code, not even an "inferior" port as the one GHI is offering. Community is non existing. And the 60$ is limited for a few months yet. Sadly. (Otherwise we would have bought them by truck loads.)

#6901 Firmware WIsh List

Posted by Illishar on 03 January 2011 - 10:49 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Sounds very reassuring. I thought GHI was responsible for the PWM though. (But perhaps that's the reason for all the angry mails? ;p I've considered joining as well. I guess I could take the time to implement a few small functions or overloads. Eg. Math.Log, Math.Sin, System.BitConverter, the non allocating overload of the UTF8Encoding etc.

#6967 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.1.1 ALPHA 5

Posted by Illishar on 04 January 2011 - 08:57 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I had a few difficulties upgrading the FW. Every time I tried it just got stuck at "Connecting to TinyBooter". This is how I solved it: Don't wait for the TinyCLR to boot up. Unplug/Replug the boad while holding the reset button. Use "Ping" to verify that it's TinyBooter that's answering. Select the new FW and press "Deploy" *before* TinyCLR boots. (You don't have forever to do this.)

#6969 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.1.1 ALPHA 5

Posted by Illishar on 04 January 2011 - 08:59 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

... and now it's got stuck at "Executing Application". Hmm, do I dare disconnect it I wonder ... Yes, ping seems to work. Network configuration, not so ... ... Yes! Once again TinyBooter gives the solution. FW upgrade complete!

#6982 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.1.1 ALPHA 5

Posted by Illishar on 04 January 2011 - 02:18 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

4. Enhanced deployment reliability (software reset enhancements)

This doesn't seem to have made much difference. It now/still has a very low chance of success when deploying.

I have 1 serious project which tells me "An error has occurred. Please check your hardware" whenever I try to deploy.
Then I have a "Hello World" project that's able to deploy, but not able to attach debugger. The debugger will actually lock the board, when trying.

Both situations seems rather consistent though.

#6983 FEZDuino

Posted by Illishar on 04 January 2011 - 02:25 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Open source ... does that mean you're not using the USBizi chip?

#6986 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.1.1 ALPHA 5

Posted by Illishar on 04 January 2011 - 02:53 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

No wait, the "An error has occurred..." might have been caused by too many (or wrong) references. And it's still a little random

#6991 FEZDuino

Posted by Illishar on 04 January 2011 - 04:13 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Cool. Now build something faster that has RAM! :D

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.