Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

StefanoZ's Content

There have been 16 items by StefanoZ (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#10434 Power consumption problem

Posted by StefanoZ on 01 March 2011 - 07:48 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Chances are you are using a large amount of current and that's why your batteries are running out fast. A 9v battery can run 500mA for roughly an hour. I would figure out how much current you are using and look for a battery that can supply that for the amount of time you are expecting it to run for.

It seems the unit consumes 90 mA with the LCD background light switched off. Uhm, it seems a high consumption. That's why the battery is running out fast. Do you think is it possible to connect the unit directly to the 12 volts battery?

I think then I should consider to use a solar power to charge the 12 volts battery...

#10433 Power consumption problem

Posted by StefanoZ on 01 March 2011 - 07:38 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

He means yacht.

Yes, sorry for the mistake! ;)

#10414 Power consumption problem

Posted by StefanoZ on 28 February 2011 - 10:14 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hello all, I developed a project to remotely control a little yatch. The project is made up by a Netduino, a cellular shield (sparkfun), an LCD key pad shield and a real time clock. The target is to send a short message when an event occurs (e.g. water near the engine!). All is working fine, but I need to power the project with a battery. I tried to use a 9 volts battery, but the project run out of battery in 7 hours with the LCD backlight switched off. The project does not use infinite while loop (it uses interrupt). The alternative to the 9 volts battery is to use the yatch battery (the same as a 12 volts car battery), but I would not run out of that battery and I don't know if 12 volts are supported for all the shields. Do you have any suggestions to minimize power consumption? What is the best way to power this kind of project? Bye! Stefano.

#9988 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 22 February 2011 - 08:11 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

White flag! I give it up! Finally I decided to buy the Sparkfun Cellular Shield. It works fine!!! Now I have only a problem regarding power consumption. I will open a new topic for this. Thank you all for your suggestions. Ste.

#9031 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 05 February 2011 - 02:21 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hello, the rs232 shifter seems to work. It is linked in this way: vcc to 3.3 volt ground to ground tx to rx rx to tx As you suggested, I linked together pin 2 and pin 3 of the rs232 shifter connector. When I send something the rx led blinks, the tx led blinks and I receive back what I send. Now I'm trying to link the phone again. Perhaps the problem is the AT command line terminator...

#8953 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 03 February 2011 - 10:15 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Ok, probably I bought the wrong shift register. I found this in the compatible shield section.

URF!

Ok, now I have the right rs232 shifter, but nothing to do.
When I send something to the serial port, the RX led flash, but I did not receive anything.

So, now I would like to test separately each component. What is the best way to verify that the rs232 shifter is working fine? Is it possible to connect TX to RX on the serial cable to see that I receive what I sent? Any other way to test the rs232 shifter?

Fortunately today the weather is very cold so the window is closed and I cannot throw everything outside!!! ;)

#7534 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 12 January 2011 - 09:47 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Ok, probably I bought the wrong shift register. I found this in the compatible shield section.

URF!

#7533 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 12 January 2011 - 09:38 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Nothing. The RS232 shifter does not work. The T28 data cable I have is THIS. There is a MAX3232 inside. So now I'm a little bit confused. The data cable is compliant with the RS232 specifications (it works with the PC serial port). The shifter should convert from standard rs232 to ttl. Why does this not work? Uhm...

#7518 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 12 January 2011 - 03:23 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hello,

I have THIS.

Do you think it could be fine?

Bye.

Stefano.

#7326 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 09 January 2011 - 10:00 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thank you Chris and Fred! I will check if the SE data cable converts from -12/12 to 0-3.3 or 0-5. I will let you know asap.

#7272 Netduino 2 way Serial Communication with a Windows Forms App

Posted by StefanoZ on 08 January 2011 - 02:17 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi,

it is not possible to use the same USB to deploy and to communicate.
I suggest you to buy a FTDI cable (USB to TTL Serial) so you can use the NETDUINO serial port COM1 to communicate with the windows form app.
It is very simple. Here you can find some info.

Bye.

Stefano.

#7270 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 08 January 2011 - 01:55 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi, thank you very much for your help. The FTDI cable I have is a USB to Serial TTL. So I need to buy the RS232 shield. One more question: is it necessary to use a 12V power supply for the Netduino to use the RS232 shield? Bye! Stefano.

#7264 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 08 January 2011 - 01:18 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Chris, is it really necessary to buy a RS232 shield? I used a FTDI cable to interface the netduino with my computer and this works fine! Is it possible to make something similar? I really appreciate your help. Stefano.

#7263 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 08 January 2011 - 12:38 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi StefanoZ,

First of all, are you using an RS232 expansion shield for the Netduino? The D0/D1 pins (COM1) are 0/3.3V, not -12V/12V like RS232...

Also, could you please provide a bit of guidance on how you're wiring the two together? There should be three pins (Netduino TX to phone RX, Netduino RX to phone TX, Netduino GND to phone GND).

Chris

Hi Chris,

thank you very much for your reply. No, I'm not using an RS232 shield. Probably this is the problem!!!
I wired the phone and the netduino together as you mentioned: phone rx to netduino tx, phone tx to netduino rx, phone ground to netduino ground.

I will search for an RS232 shield.

Bye!

Stefano.

#7194 AT Commands and RS232

Posted by StefanoZ on 07 January 2011 - 11:03 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi gurus, First of all let me wish you a healthy and successful 2011! I am trying to interface an old Ericsson T28 mobile phone to the Netduino using its phone data cable (why buying a new GSM shield if my drawers are filled with electronic waste?). I successfully interfaced this mobile phone using Windows Hyper Terminal but I am not able to achieve the same result with the Netduino. This is the problem. - I open the COM1; - I send an "AT\r" command to the COM1; - I read the COM1 and I find the same 3 bytes I sent ("AT\r") instead of the "OK" answer. Is it correct to use the \r to close the message string? Is it correct that the COM1.write works even if the mobile phone is not connected? What do you think I need to check? Bye! Stefano.

#6050 DS1307 Real Time Clock

Posted by StefanoZ on 13 December 2010 - 09:44 PM in Project Showcase

Hi stacyh3,

good project. I used it and it works fine. I had to add two pullup resistors (one 2.2K between SDA and +5, one 2.2K between SCL and +5) as indicated in the ds1307 datasheet.

I used this module

Thank you for your project.

Bye,

Stefano.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.