Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

stacyh3's Content

There have been 47 items by stacyh3 (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#14240 CfrazyFlie Quadcopter

Posted by stacyh3 on 11 June 2011 - 10:24 PM in General Discussion

CrazyFlie QuadcopterThis would be cool to build:

#10389 Chris the star!

Posted by stacyh3 on 28 February 2011 - 02:26 PM in General Discussion

Great as always! Well done!

#10350 Waterproof temperaturesensor for Netduino?

Posted by stacyh3 on 28 February 2011 - 02:45 AM in General Discussion

I'm not sure if this would work submerged. It says water resistant not waterproof.
Thermometer from GHI

#10010 inPulse Watch

Posted by stacyh3 on 22 February 2011 - 09:08 PM in General Discussion

Someone posted this on the tinyclr forum, so I thought I'd share it here as well.
InPulse Hackable Watch
It would be cool if this could be flashed with the .NET Micro Framework. The rebirth of SPOT!

#9983 Color Sweeper

Posted by stacyh3 on 22 February 2011 - 01:38 AM in Project Showcase

For those who have played with either the MinM - Miniature BlinkM or the ShiftBrite, how's the color mixing? The RGB LED that I got from Radio Shack is okay, but the color mixing is pretty lousy. I've tried various diffusers, etc., but still can't get decent mixing. Making "yellow" for example, always shows red and green as well.

Thanks,
Stacy

#9576 Color Sweeper

Posted by stacyh3 on 15 February 2011 - 07:32 AM in Project Showcase

With common cathode, you'll drive power to each of the colors using OutputPorts or PWM. With common anode, you'd pull current through the LEDs by doing the opposite (i.e. writing 'false' to OutputPort would turn the LED off).

I prefer common cathode because it's straight-forward, but common anode may be more popular. Also--how much current do you need to drive?

Chris

I see what you mean about common cathode being more straigh-forward. For now, the project is just a single RGB LED, so not much current draw. It's one that I picked up from Radio Shack. I think I might want to go bigger/brighter at some point, but I'm not sure yet. I may also attach an LCD display.

Stacy

#9380 Color Sweeper

Posted by stacyh3 on 13 February 2011 - 03:28 AM in Project Showcase

Funny that you should post this today - I've been playing around with a similar project this afternoon :) .

Regards,
Mark

Okay. Crazy coincidence! I've been playing with RGB LEDs today too! I found out that there are at least two types: common cathode and common anode. Does anyone have pros/cons for using the different types? Any tips?

Thanks,
Stacy

#3351 DNS functions

Posted by stacyh3 on 01 October 2010 - 01:04 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

There's a long thread here that might give a clue: Dns.GetHostEntry functionality
Stacy

#3350 DNS functions

Posted by stacyh3 on 01 October 2010 - 12:50 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Stacy,

Interesting. In desktop .NET, does Dns.GetHostEntry("mymachine") resolve the IP address of local machines against a DNS server--or does it discover the local machines in another way?

Chris

Good question. I'll take a look to see what the code is doing on the desktop. I'm on Amtrak right now and tethered to my phone, so it'll be a while. Maybe I'll shoot an email to one of our networking guys.

Stacy

#3349 UART Shield

Posted by stacyh3 on 01 October 2010 - 12:43 PM in Project Showcase

There is this one Arduino RS232 Shield, but it only exposes 1 port.

Stacy

#3314 DNS functions

Posted by stacyh3 on 01 October 2010 - 12:04 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'm trying out the DNS features and seeing the following. Dns.GetHostEntry("www.microsoft.com") works fine and seems to return the right address. Dns.GetHostEntry("mymachine") and Dns.GetHostEntry("myfullmcahine.company.blah.blah") returns the wrong IP address. I'll keep trying... Stacy

#3156 How to use the SD card and StreamWriter

Posted by stacyh3 on 29 September 2010 - 03:08 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Here's an odd thing. I was unable to write a file to the MicroSD card using FileStream/Stream/etc. I decided to check the card by writing a file to it on the PC. That worked fine, so I stuck the card back into the netduino to see if it could read the directory. It read the directory just fine and was able to write files without any issues from then on! I'll keep playing with the file system and reporting my results. Stacy

#3108 Taking sockets further

Posted by stacyh3 on 28 September 2010 - 12:42 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Another quick tip: There's a static Encoding class that you can use instead of "newing" one up for StrToByteArray
Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(s)
will do the trick and save you a little bit in terms of memory allocations.

#2967 Netduino Plus Unable to connect to from MFDeploy or Visual Studio after loadi...

Posted by stacyh3 on 26 September 2010 - 10:53 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I've been running into the same issue every once in a while. I've been able to get around it by going through the erase process as well. It seems like there's some timing going on there too. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to get through the erase. I'll try to keep track of my steps to see if I can make the problem repeat and maybe gain some insight into the issue. Stacy

#2499 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by stacyh3 on 19 September 2010 - 05:20 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

P.S. Based on preliminary tests with the v4.1.1 alpha firmware (and a temporary jumper wire between D4 and D10), you can use the MicroSD card slot on the new Arduino Ethernet shield as well.

That seems cool. A two-for-one shield. Too bad, I already ordered the shield with no SD. Oh well. Maybe for a future project.

#2201 MP3 Shield

Posted by stacyh3 on 13 September 2010 - 01:50 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

.NET Micro Framework supports FAT file system so I believe you only need a shield with and an SD card card socket. Or use other net micro framework device that has SD/microSD card socket. There are several out in the market.

Yes, I understand that. That's why I thought the first shield would be good since it's MP3 and has SD built in. It seems that assembling the features of the first shield from separate components would come out to about the same cost, don't you think? Of course, it would be fantastic to do it for less money!

#2150 MP3 Shield

Posted by stacyh3 on 12 September 2010 - 04:28 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

The first shield also has a built in SD card slot. By the time you add that, the prices might be closer. This is one of those projects that will have to wait for a while anyway. I need to get another netduino and some time. Gotta finish the current project first.

#2142 MP3 Shield

Posted by stacyh3 on 11 September 2010 - 09:28 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Netduino community (netduiners?),

Here's another shield that would be interesting to test: MP3 Shield for Arduino. I've seen some posts out there for making a similar device sans-shield for around $30. I'll have to investigate that. It would be interesting to use something like this as a source device for my whole house audio system.

Stacy

#2066 SchmartBoard

Posted by stacyh3 on 09 September 2010 - 10:48 PM in General Discussion

Have you used SchmartBoard products? What are your experiences?

#2058 Question about Netduino Idea

Posted by stacyh3 on 09 September 2010 - 10:28 PM in General Discussion

Wow! Very well said, Chris. This is a great message!

#2020 Power Converter? What are those things called?

Posted by stacyh3 on 09 September 2010 - 01:42 PM in General Discussion

Thanks. That's good to know. At this point, my hardware skills are minimal. The idea of surface mount soldering seems a bit beyond me. I have basic soldering skills and will be trying my hand at something that's more advanced - for me anyway - within the next few days. Stacy

#2016 Power Converter? What are those things called?

Posted by stacyh3 on 09 September 2010 - 01:24 PM in General Discussion

While you're on the topic of soldering, maybe a thread or blog post on techniques would be cool. There are a few "how-to's" out there, but they miss a few things that scare beginners. For example, I sometimes see chips soldered directly to a board, and other times I see them in the little chip holders. (Hmm. Chip DIP jokes come to mind). How do I know when to do which? I'm learning a lot of this as I go, but could certainly benefit from the wisdom of others. Stacy

#1874 Real Time Clock

Posted by stacyh3 on 07 September 2010 - 12:04 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

And of course, if you're using the DS1307, check out my post w/code here: DS1307 Real Time Clock.

This clock is pretty inexpensive and works well. I'm sure that there are better ones out there with alarms, etc.

#1735 Serialization

Posted by stacyh3 on 03 September 2010 - 12:23 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I don't think Serialization is available on any of the .net platforms (Netduino or Fez). Besides, for a microcontroller serialization is SLOW.

Slow depends on the application don't you think? For my application it's okay it it's a bit slow. I need to deserialize once at startup and then the intervals between serialization are pretty long - on the order of minutes to hours.

In any case, if people are using the emulator, be aware that Reflection.Serialize and Reflection.Deserialize work fine, but they appear not to be in the Netduino firmware. This is not a major problem for me since I just implemented my own code for what I need, but it's good to know what's there and what's not.

#1707 Serialization

Posted by stacyh3 on 02 September 2010 - 10:29 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Reflection.Serialize/Deserialize seems to work fine in the emulator, but not on the actual hardware. Is it not implemented in the release? Is it planned? Thanks, Stacy

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.