Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

egeorgiou's Content

There have been 28 items by egeorgiou (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#40724 Netduino + Android

Posted by egeorgiou on 01 December 2012 - 09:37 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi egeorgiou,

I've used this adapter,

http://www.mdfly.com...products_id=769

The adapter suports the SPP profile. you can probably find it cheaper on eBay. Basically you just open a COM port on the Netduino and talk to it with whatever serial App you have on your Android device.

If you want to develop your own Android App, I have found that Basic4Android is absolutely the easiest way,

http://www.basic4ppc.com/

The syntax is pretty much like VB Net and for a list of libraries,

http://www.basic4ppc...x.php/Libraries

Baxter

Hi Baxter,

thanks so much for your suggestions, they are really helpful.

I'm a big fan of sparkfun, so i'm planning on using the WRL-10269 BlueSMiRF Silver (https://www.sparkfun.../products/10269)

I'm comfortable using eclipe and doing the programming in Java; I took the tutorials offered for free by Marakana; here is a link to there android bootcamp:
https://www.youtube....08A97D36D5A255F

What I was hoping for, was someone having put together an open source library that does all the dirty work of communicating between the two devices and manages different data types (i.e. string, int, float, byte, etc....)

Bluetooth comms on Android is not fun :(

#40723 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 01 December 2012 - 09:19 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Dave VanderWekke & egeorgiou

Please replace the Execute line in your code with the following to see how many total data bytes (reads and writes, not counting device addresses) have been sent in your transactions. This can help diagnose if the device is responding at all. The result should be the total number of bytes sent and received. Subtract the bytes sent (one in your case) and that's the total number of bytes received. If you haven't received any bytes, then probably don't print the read buffer contents.

int total = adxl345.Execute(actions, 1000);
Debug.Print(total + " bytes transferred successfully over I2C");

I have had success with DS1307 and 24FC1025 over both hardware and software I2C protocols with the Netduino Plus 2. Wishing you success soon too.

One more thing... it looks (according to SparkFun) like the 9 degrees of freedom stick can accept a variety of input voltages 3.3V-16V, while the ADXL345 breakout boards can only go up to 3.6V. I would only run a simple ADXL345 breakout at 3.3V, but as for that bigger board with more chips you may want to try an external power source or at least the 5V input instead. Or at least verify the current requirements. Just some thoughts to try to cover all the bases. And be careful with applying the right voltages.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help. Still no luck, it returns 0.

I also tried at 5v but no luck. Even though on the N+1 it does work at 3.3v. Thanks, it was a good idea.

hoping for a solution soon. I have a horrible feeling it might be a hardware issue.

#40568 Netduino + Android

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 11:01 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Has anyone had any success communicating via bluetooth serial to any android device; Any project examples would be great to help me get started. Arduino have a library/toolkit called Amarino (http://www.amarino-toolkit.net/); does anyone know of anything similar for the netduino?

#40567 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 10:53 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

This code should return the DeviceID correct? You are looking for a response of 0xE5 but you are getting 0?

Yes, simply send 0x00 to the address 0x53; which should return 0xE5 or the integer 229.

#40563 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 10:28 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Egeorgiou,

SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus needs to be replaced with just SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino. This is a change with the new firmware.

Firmware Update Look at second post.

Chuck

Well spotted!

My mistake I copied the wrong source from the example I used on the N+1; too many copies of VS open

Here is the code for the N+2
using System;
using System.Net;
using System.Net.Sockets;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino;

namespace NetduinoApplication_I2C_Example
{
    public class Program
    {
        public static void Main()
        {
            Byte[] _data = new byte[1] { 0 };

I2CDevice adxl345 = new I2CDevice(new I2CDevice.Configuration(0x53, 100));
            I2CDevice.I2CWriteTransaction write = I2CDevice.CreateWriteTransaction(new Byte[] { 0x00 });
            I2CDevice.I2CReadTransaction read = I2CDevice.CreateReadTransaction(_data);
            I2CDevice.I2CTransaction[] actions = new I2CDevice.I2CTransaction[] { write, read };
            adxl345.Execute(actions, 1000);
            Debug.Print(_data[0].ToString());

}

}
}

#40559 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 10:15 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I just hacked out some code from one of my projects and hooked up the ADXL345. It does NOT work with the ND+2 so far. It is throwing an I2C error. I have to do a little more digging to try and get the exact error message, but so far it does NOT work.

Thanks for trying it out.

Is your ADXL345 set to high or low for the address?

#40556 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 10:08 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

egeorgiou, your wiring looks fine. While I don't have that specific sensor, I have two of the individual sensors on that board, the Magnetometer and the Accelerometer. I will try to wire them up and see if I can get them working on my ND+2. Meanwhile can you share the code you are using? Perhaps it's a code issue. Today I tried the update with the DS1307 real time clock and that worked fine, but was not working fine with 4.2.1.0.

Hi Dave,

thanks!

Here is the code (I'm really sure it isn't the code because it work on the NP+1 and I'm not doing anything fancy and I'm 100% sure I'm reading from the correct register on the device and the address of the device is correct)

using System;
using System.Net;
using System.Net.Sockets;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus;

namespace NetduinoPlusApplication_I2C_Example
{
    public class Program
    {
        public static void Main()
        {

I2CDevice adxl345 = new I2CDevice(new I2CDevice.Configuration(0x53, 100));
            I2CDevice.I2CWriteTransaction write = I2CDevice.CreateWriteTransaction(new Byte[] { 0x00 });
            I2CDevice.I2CTransaction[] actions = new I2CDevice.I2CTransaction[] { write, read };
        }

}
}

#40553 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 10:05 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

egeorgiou,

From the picture it looks like you have both the power and the ground plugged into the same row of the bread board, this will short out the power supply, please check your wiring?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

the image isn't very clear, the lines are not connected together. That wouldn't be clever and I would have picked that up. The same board is moved to the N+1 and it works fine with the originally reference i2c code.

#40552 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 10:02 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi egeorgiou,

Hmm, very interesting. A few things:

1. Do you have a logic analyzer by any chance? If you do, it would be _really_ helpful to see what data is on the line and what might be missing. And also measure the pulse width...in case there's a clock mismatch somehow.

2. If you lower the clock speed, does it work?

3. Please let me know if Dave's code works for you.

4. If the above fails, I can order one of these and have it here next week. Then we can run your code on both Netduino and Netduino Plus 2 and figure out what's different. We definitely want to enable existing code to be re-used on the new boards.

Thank you for all your help getting to the bottom of this case,

Chris

1. Sorry I don't have logic analyzer.

2. I have tried at both the 100kHz and 400kHz; no success with either.

3. I had a look at the code Dave suggested and it is missing the some source from the example and the download link in the code doesn't point to the complete code. In the mean time i will try and look for a software i2c solution, not ideal though.

4. Any help to get a solution would be much appreciated.

Note: I have also tried with another sensor the Sparkfun BMP085 (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9694); also has the 4.7k pull-ups; still doesn't respond.

#40538 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 09:09 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi egeorgiou,

What pins are you using for your I2C devices? The SDA/SCL pins or the A4/A5 pins?

The new Arduino R3 shield format has moved the I2C pins to SDA/SCL. We are working on a software I2C feature which will enable A4/A5 to be used for I2C as well, providing the best of both worlds.

If you are using A4/A5 for your I2C pins, there are two even faster ways to get this to work for you:

• Connect jumper wires between the A4/A5 and SDA/SCL headers on your Netduino Plus. This will mirror the pins for you.
  • Check out Dave's Software I2C
If you're using the SDA/SCL pins...what value of pull-ups do you have? What is the part you're using?

Chris

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using the SD/SC pins, I have also tried A4/5 with no success.

Attached is an image of my setup.
setup_example.jpg

The device has pull-ups built in with 4.7k resistors. I'm using the Sparkfun SEN-10724 (https://www.sparkfun.../products/10724) The sensor works with my N+1 and Nmini (with the above mentioned code).

I will look at dave's code and see if that helps.

#40534 Any ETAs for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes?

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 08:50 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

The update has not solved my issues with I2C communications. Has anyone else tried the new update? It would be great to know if it is just my device or not. Thank you to Chris for the hard work to get the update to us. I'm a big fan of the Netduino and hope to get my device working soon.

#40533 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 08:44 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi egorgiou,

Here you go:
http://forums.netdui...-v421-update-1/

Please let us know how this works for you.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your hard work to get the update released.

I'm very sad to report the update has not resolved my issues and the N+2 is not able to communicate with my I2C devices.

#40449 Any ETAs for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes?

Posted by egeorgiou on 30 November 2012 - 12:15 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

i agree that the netduino platform is awesome and the forum is excellent! But you can't sell a product (development or not) that offers a feature (i.e. I2C) that doesn't work. I can't use my N+2 because all my sensors are I2C! For me lack of communication means you are not in control of the situation. If someone says they will release something within a time frame they don't honor then they don't update you on the situation I find that disrespectful!

#40446 Update Request - Faulty Netduino Plus 2

Posted by egeorgiou on 29 November 2012 - 11:15 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Dear Secret Labs, Can you please give us an update on the patch/bug fix/firmware update to solve the issues with newly released Netduino Plus 2?

#40444 Any ETAs for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes?

Posted by egeorgiou on 29 November 2012 - 11:07 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I wish I could return mine; I bought mine from Proto Advantage (US company and i'm in the UK), I will call them in the morning and see what options I have. I really hope Secret Labs writes to the user group and gives us an update on what is going on with the whole thing. The GHI boards looks cool. I have the chipworkx dev board and i'm really happy with it.

#40440 Any ETAs for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes?

Posted by egeorgiou on 29 November 2012 - 09:16 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hope someone from SL gives us an update soon :( I can't wait any longer

#40429 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 29 November 2012 - 03:21 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

any update on the fix for the i2c issue?

#40428 Any ETAs for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes?

Posted by egeorgiou on 29 November 2012 - 03:15 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

it looks like they knew about the issue at release: http://forums.netdui...c-beta-drivers/

#40427 Any ETAs for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes?

Posted by egeorgiou on 29 November 2012 - 03:09 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'm typically pretty quiet on the boards. I chime in with my tips from time to time but rarely if never talk business. I felt at this point is was important to speak my mind.

I have owned several business over my career all of which are client facing. There have been times we've release both Hardware and Software products that have had bugs. It happens as you cannot test every single scenario.

The one thing I've learned and that most alarms me is the total lack of communication by Chris Walker and Secret Labs regarding the issues with the Netduino Plus 2. I get it... the board has issues... the team needs to work hard to get it fixed. In my career I've pulled many all nighters to fix issues. I've done some 72 hour+ spans without sleep to get things fixed however the one thing I have never done is stop communicating with the people who keep my business alive (the clients or end users).

If you can find time to eat, take a bathroom break or even catch some sleep, surely 5 minutes can be spared to post on the forums... let people know the problems are being addressed. Give them some kind of progress report, etc.

I am very critical with vendors when they fall on their faces. I don't typically give a vendor the "3 strikes and you are out" opportunity. There are plenty of options when it comes to getting your projects to market. I have talked to my business partners and just based on the complete lack of communication from Secret Labs, we are cautious of continuing to design any products using these boards. They pointed out that lack of communication like this happens when a company is about to bang up and close it's doors. I certainly hope for everyone's sake this is not the case.

This is just my 2 cents and wanted to share my disappointment. :(

I agree with you! I also don't like it when promises are made and broken. Chris messaged that the issue would be resolved with an update within 7 days (see below)

"
Sent 19 November 2012 - 04:40 PM
Hi Angelo,

Our internal schedule is to release 4.2.1.1 with an I2C update within 7 days.

We're working on it. It's a driver bug in the core I2C drivers. I will post on the forums once it's fixed as well.

Thank you very much for your feedback and support,

Chris
"

#40389 Any ETAs for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes?

Posted by egeorgiou on 28 November 2012 - 10:00 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I understand your feelings, I can tell you that Chris is currently working around the clock to get this dealt with. Please understand it will take some time. I spoke with Chris, and he's away from the Internet working on I2C repro scenarios right now.

hi Stefan,

thanks for the update and i really appreciate the effort you guys are putting in to get it solved.

it's not great for us that it shipped with such a major issue :( and all we can do is wait.

is it possible to get an eta on when the issue will be resolved? can we return our boards for ones that work?

#40301 Any ETAs for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes?

Posted by egeorgiou on 27 November 2012 - 10:16 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Has anyone heard any rumors as to an ETA for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes? It seems there are I2C and SPI issues as well as Networking when trying to use other than DHCP. These are the main 3 issues I've found so far. Since most people here are doing more than flashing an LED this really is a show stopper.

I know "next week" was mentioned in one of the threads. Is that referring to first week of December?

I'm still really disappointed that the hardware shipped with such a major flaw and I can't use the device at all until I can get the fix for the I2C.

#40260 Any ETAs for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes?

Posted by egeorgiou on 26 November 2012 - 09:16 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Has anyone heard any rumors as to an ETA for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes? It seems there are I2C and SPI issues as well as Networking when trying to use other than DHCP. These are the main 3 issues I've found so far. Since most people here are doing more than flashing an LED this really is a show stopper.

I know "next week" was mentioned in one of the threads. Is that referring to first week of December?

Chris said it would be within 7 days (that was on the 19th); I'm really disappointed :(

#40030 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 23 November 2012 - 07:37 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi egeorgiou,

B)

So sorry about that. There appears to be a bug in the I2C core which is affecting some users. We have a repro and ordered in test hardware; we should have a bug fix for this in the 4.2.1.1 update next weekend.

Chris

Any news on when to expect the fix for the i2c issue?

#39458 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 16 November 2012 - 02:17 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

tutorial

Mylink

Hi supra,

thanks for the link to loveelectronics tutorial. I have used used this tutorial before the library they have put together is excellent and I also highly recommended it.

The issue isn't with how to write the code for the i2c device but that the device is not working with NP2! for that matter I can't get any device to communicate via I2C with my new NP2!

have you implemented an I2C devices with the new NP2?

#39433 Netduino Plus 2 - I2C not working

Posted by egeorgiou on 15 November 2012 - 10:08 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I just got my NP2! :) thanks for making such an awesome update!

I'm not able to get the I2C to work with my ADXL345 connected to the new SC/SD connectors?

I'm running the following code:

I2CDevice adxl345 = new I2CDevice(new I2CDevice.Configuration(0x53, 400));

I'm running the same code on my NP1 connecting to A4/A5 pins and the device is working but not on the NP2.

HELP PLEASE!

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.