Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Johnny Five's Content

There have been 29 items by Johnny Five (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#2634 Example GPS Code

Posted by Johnny Five on 22 September 2010 - 10:58 PM in Project Showcase

Thanks Patrick. Definitely going to be using this :) Hope I can give back to your project at some point!

#2628 SoftSerial?

Posted by Johnny Five on 22 September 2010 - 09:24 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I see! Thanks Chris! You've made my day several times now ;)

#2625 SoftSerial?

Posted by Johnny Five on 22 September 2010 - 08:58 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hello Chris, I (think) I need 3 UART altogether. Someone mentioned that I could use an SPI-2-UART, but can SPI handle multiple devices? I am using the SDCard shield, and afaik the pins 11-13 are already being used by it.

#2622 SoftSerial?

Posted by Johnny Five on 22 September 2010 - 08:53 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I don't know enough yet to write this on my own, but has this been looked at for the netduino? I need more UART than are on the board, and almost all the other ports are used as well for my project. Anyone working on a softserial implementation?

#2409 Power LED flashes and off?

Posted by Johnny Five on 17 September 2010 - 11:46 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thanks Chris! I received my replacement Netduino in the mail today, and it's working like a charm! You rock! Thanks so much! I'd love to hear your results on what went wrong with the Netduino I sent back.

#2312 Multiple Devices with USB Shield?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 08:20 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thanks Chris. I read somet about a plan to release a way to get more pins on the Netduino? How is that coming along?

#2310 Multiple Devices with USB Shield?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 07:54 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I need more UARTs, and I want to control an external camera via USB (but the ports the USB shield require are used up by an SDMicro Shield...).. Just out of ports in general. Trying to figure out the best way to get it all connected ;) And man you guys rock.

#2302 Multiple Devices with USB Shield?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 07:06 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I have a feeling i'm asking something that is possible but not written for Netduino yet. Is it possible to use several devices with a USB shield? My project is running out of ports on the Netduino (hasn't been actually created yet, but planning stages) and I need to figure out another way to get it all connected. Thanks!

#2281 First hardware! (Attaching GPS module)

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 04:51 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

The PPS is a signal that indicates that the GPS is locked, correct? Are you wanting to get this signal on the Netduino (so your software will know when it has a lock)? I think that the data stream from the TX/RX lines of the GPS will also give you this data...

[You can hook up digital inputs to the digital pins and read them via InputPorts...just be careful with voltages, etc.]

Oh, very nice. Any plan to take photos from the balloon (or of the balloon while it's launching)?

If you need to reset the GPS via a reset line, just plug that reset pin into one of the digital pins on your Netduino. Then you can use OutputPort.Write(false) to reset it for a moment and then OutputPort.Write(true) to bring it back from reset (or vice-versa if it resets when high).

But for most GPS receivers, just power and RX/TX will do nicely.

Chris

I wish I was able to get to this point! Maybe next Netduino.

Johnny - just remember that civilian GPS receivers have a hard limit - 18k feet and ~515m/s -- they can exceed either of those thresholds but not both. Most limit on both those.

The GPS I ordered works up to 50,000 meters. Thanks though!

#2275 Power LED flashes and off?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 03:56 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Whichever is faster. I'm assuming that would be with you.

#2272 Power LED flashes and off?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 03:49 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I plugged in my DroidX charger and it doesn't light up. Good thought. So the MicroUSB connector on the Netduino is definitely faulty. So how do I begin with the replacement process?

#2270 Power LED flashes and off?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 03:42 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Update: It's definitely an issue with the USB. I plugged in a wall-wart and it lights up fine. After plugging in the wall-wart and then the USB, it shows up on my computer. Before I send it back I'll buy another cable and see if that works. If not then i'll need a replacement from you. Thanks ;)

#2267 Power LED flashes and off?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 03:33 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Chris, I do not. However I do have a DroidX that takes the same type of cable, and I tried plugging in the DroidX using said cable and it shows that it's connected and charging.

#2265 Power LED flashes and off?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 03:29 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

1) No 2) No 3) Eh. No :( By "pushbutton" I assume you mean SW1. I did that, and it does the same thing. Both PWR and LED flash once and that's it.

#2263 Power LED flashes and off?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 03:17 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Yes, I currently have a USB mouse, USB Keyboard, Logitech Camera, External HD, external infrared sensor... they all work. I just rebooted and the same thing happens. Power light flashes really quickly and then it's off. Doesn't show up on the computer. When I first plugged it in (before flashing the Alpha) it installed fine on the computer. Oh yes, and i've tried plugging the Netduino in a spot that was currently powering another device, still a no go.

#2261 Power LED flashes and off?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 03:08 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

1. No electronics/wires are plugged into it except the usb. 2-3. I restarted once already, but i'll do it again. The same occurred before. After the next reboot i'll let you know. 4. I just did MFDeploy. I did not do a full erase.

#2257 Power LED flashes and off?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 03:01 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Both of them. The one labeled PWR and the other LED. They don't stay on "for a second", it just quickly flashes and that's it.

#2255 Netduino Firmware v4.1.1 ALPHA 1

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 02:59 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Not sure if I did something wrong, but after flashing my Netduino does not respond anymore. The power LED doesn't stay on after plugging in the USB cable. Thoughts?

#2254 Power LED flashes and off?

Posted by Johnny Five on 14 September 2010 - 02:47 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

So tonight I opened up my Netduino for the first time after installing the SDK, etc. I excitedly plug the bad boy in. The computer sees it. Great. I know I need the SDcard support in the alpha, so I download it, follow the instructions, and it flashes fine. Now, however, the power LED doesn't stay on. Could I have screwed it up flashing it? I follow the example tutorial, and no matter what I do I can't get my computer to see the netduino. The device doesn't show up in the Task Manager. I can't select it as a device in Visual Studio. What am I doing wrong? I've tried several USB ports on my computer.

#2248 First hardware! (Attaching GPS module)

Posted by Johnny Five on 13 September 2010 - 10:25 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi Johnny Five, nice...

The 3.3V pin goes to the 3.3V pin on the Netduino. The Ground pin goes to any of the three GND pins on the Netduino. The TX/RX go to pins D0/D1 respectively. That's COM1 on your Netduino.

The communication/peripheral features for the Netduino pins are also listed in the right column on the tech specs page. Here's the link for your convenience:
http://www.netduino....duino/specs.htm

Any plans for projects to build with the GPS module? Maybe match it up with an Ethernet shield?

Chris

And ignore the PPS?

The plans are for a High-Altitude Balloon project. Lots of hardware coming in.. and lots of learning to do! Is there any way to attach the reset to the netduino as well?

And thanks!

#2246 First hardware! (Attaching GPS module)

Posted by Johnny Five on 13 September 2010 - 10:13 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I just received this: http://www.esawdust....gps-fsa03-bkob/ It will be the first hardware I manually connect. I would like to try and start programming it tonight, before my other hardware shows up. So placing temporary wires (soldering iron hasn't shown up anyway). The issue is I don't know, exactly, how to attach it to the netduino. Can someone walk an idiot through what needs to be connected where? I know, i've ordered a basic engineering book, but it hasn't arrived yet either :P The prongs on the right are in this order (top to bottom): 3.3v, ground, pps, tx, rx, reset. Thanks in advance!

#1991 Netduino 3D Model is Done!!

Posted by Johnny Five on 09 September 2010 - 06:00 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Nice! I'm not sure what i'd use this for, but it's cool ;)

#1973 Cellular Shield?

Posted by Johnny Five on 09 September 2010 - 12:05 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

So I decided not to use the Cellular Shield linked there. After doing a bunch of reading, it looks like that particular module is a PITA. I found another module that people have already used in HAB projects, and it includes an integrated TCP/IP stack as well as support for INTEGRATED PYTHON. http://www.semicondu...t=42834#details For only $80? Yes please. You can find breakout boards for around $30-60 from Europe, but $75+ here in the states. I'll just use a friend from Europe to send me one....

#1952 Cellular Shield?

Posted by Johnny Five on 08 September 2010 - 06:04 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

RF is black magic voodoo. I work for AT&T Mobility (not the radio piece though) and I see all the RF engineers with chicken blood on their hands and feathers flying by their desks. I don't intrude in their rituals because I'm too scared.

However, with the XBee modules you don't need TCP/IP -- it can be a straight serial connection.

Depending on how high your HAB goes chances are you are going to lose communication with it at some point - hobby-grade electronics generally aren't built for what we do to them <grin>. However, remember you're not going to have LOS issues with a HAB (hopefully!), so it'll be more of a range thing. What altitude are you aiming for?

Hah, no I didn't mean I needed TCP/IP for the module, I was using the analogy the SparkFun article was using. He said that the XBee module was transmitting in a fashion that filled the airspace and corrected mistakes it saw, meaning it took longer to send data, instead of just sending out the data and not fixing errors. I'd rather use the latter.

I'm hoping for an altitude of about 10 feet. Anything beyond that will be beyond my expectations :P I may just use the XBee, but i'm OCD and want things to be as best as I can make it the first time, instead of just getting it to work. I'm sure you know how it is!

#1950 Cellular Shield?

Posted by Johnny Five on 08 September 2010 - 05:46 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

XBee: http://www.sparkfun....roducts_id=9411

They are out of stock but it's got a 40 mile LOS range. You might look at this instead though with a high gain antenna -- it should be sufficient for your needs. Please note that these transmitters require a lot more power (the first one is around 800mA when transmitting) so you might need a separate power source just for your transmitter.

Greg, thanks, this is one of the devices i've seen already that is mentioned in the SparkFun article, but it looks like he didn't have a good experience with it. I don't know enough about RF, but I do know networking, and understand the TCP/IP vs UDP analogy that he gave. So now i'm trying to find a long range RF transmitter that uses UDP and not TCP/IP, except... in RF terms.

I was looking at this: http://www.radiotele... Data Sheet.pdf

Know anything about RF?

And thanks for your replies, they are greatly appreciated!

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.