Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Power LED flashes and off?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Five

Johnny Five

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:47 AM

So tonight I opened up my Netduino for the first time after installing the SDK, etc. I excitedly plug the bad boy in. The computer sees it. Great. I know I need the SDcard support in the alpha, so I download it, follow the instructions, and it flashes fine. Now, however, the power LED doesn't stay on. Could I have screwed it up flashing it? I follow the example tutorial, and no matter what I do I can't get my computer to see the netduino. The device doesn't show up in the Task Manager. I can't select it as a device in Visual Studio. What am I doing wrong? I've tried several USB ports on my computer.

#2 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:01 AM

Which LED are you talking about? Blue or white? If it's the blue one, it only stays on for a second on powerup.

#3 Johnny Five

Johnny Five

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:01 AM

Both of them. The one labeled PWR and the other LED. They don't stay on "for a second", it just quickly flashes and that's it.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:06 AM

Johnny Five, A few quick questions: 1. Do you have any wires or electronic components plugged into your Netduino? Unplug them before continuing. 2. Shut down your PC completely and then turn it back on. 3. After you turn your computer back on: when you plug in your Netduino, does the white power LED come on? Stay on? For how long? Also, did you do a full erase-and-reflash (TinyBooter through SAM-BA and then .NET MF firmware through MFDeploy)--or just the firmware (through MFDeploy)? No worries; we'll get you up and running... Chris

#5 Johnny Five

Johnny Five

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:08 AM

1. No electronics/wires are plugged into it except the usb. 2-3. I restarted once already, but i'll do it again. The same occurred before. After the next reboot i'll let you know. 4. I just did MFDeploy. I did not do a full erase.

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:10 AM

Do you have any other USB devices you can plug into your computer (to make sure they get power and work with the PC)? Chris

#7 Johnny Five

Johnny Five

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:17 AM

Yes, I currently have a USB mouse, USB Keyboard, Logitech Camera, External HD, external infrared sensor... they all work. I just rebooted and the same thing happens. Power light flashes really quickly and then it's off. Doesn't show up on the computer. When I first plugged it in (before flashing the Alpha) it installed fine on the computer. Oh yes, and i've tried plugging the Netduino in a spot that was currently powering another device, still a no go.

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:25 AM

Johnny Five, Let's try the backup "bootloader" method... 1. Unplug your Netduino from your PC. It should be unpowered. 2. Start MFDeploy on your PC and select "USB" transport 3. Hold down the pushbutton on your Netduino--and then plug it into the PC via its USB cable. Keep holding down on the pushbutton. Q1: Does your Netduino show up in MFDeploy? Q2: If you press PING, does MFDeploy return "TinyBooter"? Q3: Can you now re-deploy the firmware (either the v4.1.1 alpha or the current production release)? Chris

#9 Johnny Five

Johnny Five

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:29 AM

1) No 2) No 3) Eh. No :( By "pushbutton" I assume you mean SW1. I did that, and it does the same thing. Both PWR and LED flash once and that's it.

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:31 AM

Hi Johnny Five, Final question: do you have any other MicroUSB cables that you could try? It may sound funny, but this can happen with certain MicroUSB cables... Chris

#11 Johnny Five

Johnny Five

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:33 AM

Chris, I do not. However I do have a DroidX that takes the same type of cable, and I tried plugging in the DroidX using said cable and it shows that it's connected and charging.

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:37 AM

Hi Johnny Five, I'm really sorry, but it appears that your Netduino may be damaged or defective. We should swap both it and the USB cable for new ones. Would you like to swap it with Secret Labs directly or through your reseller? Chris Secret Labs LLC

#13 Johnny Five

Johnny Five

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:42 AM

Update: It's definitely an issue with the USB. I plugged in a wall-wart and it lights up fine. After plugging in the wall-wart and then the USB, it shows up on my computer. Before I send it back I'll buy another cable and see if that works. If not then i'll need a replacement from you. Thanks ;)

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:47 AM

It's definitely an issue with the USB. I plugged in a wall-wart and it lights up fine. After plugging in the wall-wart and then the USB, it shows up on my computer. Before I send it back I'll buy another cable and see if that works.

Okay, that's good news. While we test every Netduino before it leaves Secret Labs, the cables are free promotional items and not individually tested.

If you plug it into your Droid power charger (MicroUSB power cable), does the power LED stay on? If so, it's the cable. If not, the MicroUSB connector on your Netduino might be faulty.

Either way, the good news is that you're up and running with your Netduino for now :)

Chris

P.S. If it turns out to be a bad USB cable, we can send you a replacement. If we see many defective ones in the field, we may need to start testing them as well.

#15 Johnny Five

Johnny Five

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:49 AM

I plugged in my DroidX charger and it doesn't light up. Good thought. So the MicroUSB connector on the Netduino is definitely faulty. So how do I begin with the replacement process?

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:54 AM

I plugged in my DroidX charger and it doesn't light up. Good thought. So the MicroUSB connector on the Netduino is definitely faulty.

So how do I begin with the replacement process?

Would you like to swap it through your reseller or directly with Secret Labs?

Chris

#17 Johnny Five

Johnny Five

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:56 AM

Whichever is faster. I'm assuming that would be with you.

#18 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

Whichever is faster. I'm assuming that would be with you.

Sure thing. I'll PM you with details in just a second...

Chris

#19 Johnny Five

Johnny Five

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:46 PM

Thanks Chris! I received my replacement Netduino in the mail today, and it's working like a charm! You rock! Thanks so much! I'd love to hear your results on what went wrong with the Netduino I sent back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.