Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Chris Harrod's Content

There have been 15 items by Chris Harrod (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#38359 Build error 0x80131700

Posted by Chris Harrod on 01 November 2012 - 11:17 PM in Visual Studio

I figured I'd bump this and add information to people who are searching. You'll run into this issue if you're running VS 2010 on Server 2012. You have to use Server Manager to add the ".NET Framework 3.5" feature.

#37893 Large Project - Kinect Tracking Nerf Launcher

Posted by Chris Harrod on 23 October 2012 - 11:52 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Just a quick update video. I fried a stepper motor driver shortly after this video. Tonight I decided to move away from stepper motors and move to high torque servos. I'll use the steppers for some other yet to be imagined project.

#37814 Application freezing on Socket creation

Posted by Chris Harrod on 22 October 2012 - 10:41 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Mine is static IP. =\ It's set using MFDeploy, not code. Not sure if that would matter. Also, this would happen even if I didn't have a router in the loop. Just a straight cable to my deploying PC. There are a few routers on the same subnet, though.

#37134 Application freezing on Socket creation

Posted by Chris Harrod on 13 October 2012 - 07:16 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Good to hear, Chris. Until then, if anyone experiences this problem while deploying applications you can unplug the Ethernet cable and deploy your application.

#37124 Application freezing on Socket creation

Posted by Chris Harrod on 13 October 2012 - 01:37 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Actually, this is the exact problem I'm having.

NeonMika Socket fail

And one more person.

http://forums.netdui...s-program-hang/

#37123 Application freezing on Socket creation

Posted by Chris Harrod on 13 October 2012 - 01:21 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my problem.

Work Item 1338

#37122 Application freezing on Socket creation

Posted by Chris Harrod on 13 October 2012 - 01:15 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Good morning,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where my application fails to run from time to time. It doesn't appear to do it every time, which is pretty irritating.

public PhalanxSocket()
        {
            Debug.Print("Creating socket.");
            this.LineEnding = "";
            this._Sock = new Socket(AddressFamily.InterNetwork, SocketType.Dgram, ProtocolType.Udp);
            Debug.Print("Created socket");
        }

At least half of the time I deploy the application it hangs up creating the socket. Any ideas? I'm running .NET MF 4.1

The workaround is to launch the program with the ethernet cable unplugged and then plug it in after the application is running.

#34705 Large Project - Kinect Tracking Nerf Launcher

Posted by Chris Harrod on 05 September 2012 - 11:38 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Also I'd like to say thanks to Arron Chapman for spending quite a bit of time to teach me programming sockets. Without him I wouldn't have gotten fast and lightweight communication between the PC application and the Netduino Plus figured out.

#34704 Large Project - Kinect Tracking Nerf Launcher

Posted by Chris Harrod on 05 September 2012 - 11:34 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

FYI: For those of you doing any stepper motor work and are looking for gears / pulley systems this seems like a good resource. https://sdp-si.com/eStore/

#34221 Large Project - Kinect Tracking Nerf Launcher

Posted by Chris Harrod on 26 August 2012 - 12:07 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I know it's been a long time since I've updated this or even worked on the project, but anyways...

I gotten most of webserver code as well as the Kinect application done. The kienct application sends information via post request to the netduino.

I'm ready to start adding stepper motors to this.

Drivers: here

Motors: here

Any thoughts of concerns about going this route?

#21824 Large Project - Kinect Tracking Nerf Launcher

Posted by Chris Harrod on 18 December 2011 - 03:03 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'll be working on it a bit today while I watch football / screaming at the TV. I'll let you know what progress I make.

#21814 Large Project - Kinect Tracking Nerf Launcher

Posted by Chris Harrod on 18 December 2011 - 01:13 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I just found that a gentleman named Brady Gaster has done a lot of the legwork for a very similar idea. https://github.com/b...trolledNetduino

#21810 Large Project - Kinect Tracking Nerf Launcher

Posted by Chris Harrod on 17 December 2011 - 11:25 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Just a brief update. I haven't had a chance to work on this because I had a family member pass away this week. Anyways, I have been thinking of a solid way to have the netduino communicate with the PC / Kinect via numberous get requests to the PC. Initially I thought of hosting the server on the netduino but after some testing, I saw I could only do a few requests a second before the device was overloaded and started erroring out. What does the community think the best way to approach this would be? I need to have the PC tell the netduino where the target is at a very high rate of speed.

#21238 Dear Netduino developers, where are you from? :)

Posted by Chris Harrod on 02 December 2011 - 01:39 AM in General Discussion

I'm a brand spankin' new developer in the community. Actually.. I'm not a developer at all. But I'm new to the community. I'm in the Virginia area.

#21235 Large Project - Kinect Tracking Nerf Launcher

Posted by Chris Harrod on 01 December 2011 - 11:56 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Overall Goal: To create a netduino controlled turret system to fire nerf darts or other items of my choosing at my wife if she comes into my office.

Background: I have absolutely zero development, electrical/mechanical engineering experience. I do have a lot of disposable time and income to toss around and want to test my ability to learn new things. Learning new things is the real goal of this experiment.

Plan: Using the Kinect's SDK and wireframe tracking ability, write a C# application to track the X/Y/Z positions of a person entering the device's field of view. Specifically the center of mass. Use this data to magically talk to the Netduino over ethernet. Ideally, I'd like to quickly send the X/Y/Z of the target to the Netduino and have it move stepper motors to reposition the turret. This is obviously a long ways away from what I can do now.

Progress: Dec 2011, I've acquired my Netduino / Kinect / some small servos. I've pieced together an application to echo out the X/Y/Z of the center of the target. I've also written a shabby little app to move a servo in a wiper fashion just to see if I could do it. My total coding experience is probably 2 weeks at this point.

Basically I'd like this thread to turn into a blog of my progress of both the project and my experience of learning how to develop without formal education.

Update: Sept, 2012

I took a few months off because I was slammed with personal stuff. Back to it!

I had a hard time with the communication part of this because I was flooding the Netduino with as many as 30 requests a second. With the assistance on Arron Chapman I was able to reduce the overhead on the communication by using sockets and just sending small bits of binary rather than a bunch of GET or POST requests.

I started working on the turret itself tonight while I wait for parts from sparkfun.

I still need some gears or timing pulleys for the steppers themselves.

Parts List (so far):

Netduino Plus: $60
Stepper Motors x 2: $48
Big Easy Driver x 2: $46
Terminals x Many: $15
Lazy Suzan: $5
Lots of wire: $25

(I'll solidify this later)
Multimeter
Voltage Regulators
Resistors
Capacitors
Soldering iron / solder / desoldering braid
DreamCheeky USB missile launcher I used for a prototype

Learning Resources: (complete this)

1) Electrical Engineering
- Ohms Law

2) Mechanical Engineering
- Gears, Pulleys

3) C# Programming
- LearnVisualStudio.NET

4) Projects I learned from
- Brady Gaster - Kinect Netduino

5) People that assisted!

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.