Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Dear Netduino developers, where are you from? :)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hey community, I have to say that I never really engaded myself writing on forums or joining communities. I never had the feeling to have and I always thought "Hey, why wasting time here, go on, do something else"... But I really like this community and I like how friendly and helpful the members are. So my question is: Why is there no "Offtopic" / "Non-electronic / Non-Code" area on this forum? I would like to talk with people on a "non technical level". E.g I would like to know where our community members come from. Not just to smalltalk, but probalby to meet, or just to know that you could write with one ore two in your mother tonge. I hope I get some responses, would like to see if any Austrian is here :D So let's come to my person: My Name is Markus, I come from Upper Austria. I'm 19 years old, went to a higher school for IT and Organisation the last 5 years and I want to start my IT bachler next year and do my master in Software Engineering. :)

NeonMika.Webserver
> Control your N+ and write webservice methods easyily
> Receive data from you N+ (in XML or JSON)
> Browse the SD on your N+ directly in the browser and d
own - and upload files

If you need help with NeonMika.Webserver, please just leave a note in the thread and/or contact me via Skype :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- Mistakes teach you important lessons. Every time you make one, you are one step closer to your goal. ----
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hello Markus. Your post is really grateful to any member of this community, and -IMHO- synthesizes the value of the open-source essence. I must admit that Chris (Walker) had a great idea around the Netduino project. Here are the results of his successful idea! Well, there was a brief discussion about the language for the posts. I remember that was just an Italian guy, asking for posts in his language. I may accept it for a chatty area, but it won't be a good idea into a shared space. You know, the US-English *is* de-facto the scientific language. If you work among IT/software/hardware (or any other science), the English is a *must*. I never learn English in the school, but Deutsch!...BTW, my biggest blaming is the few occasions where the German language could be used. (Okay: I'll spend a week near Salzburg for the new year eve...und das ist denn ich liebe Austria und Deutschland) To close this reply, we should implore Chris and Stefan to *avoid* any recrimination on this off-topic discussion. Yes, we know! BTW, the Netduino people join us just because we're humans, not machines! Tschuss.
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

Well, there was a brief discussion about the language for the posts. I remember that was just an Italian guy, asking for posts in his language.
I may accept it for a chatty area, but it won't be a good idea into a shared space.
You know, the US-English *is* de-facto the scientific language. If you work among IT/software/hardware (or any other science), the English is a *must*.
I never learn English in the school, but Deutsch!...BTW, my biggest blaming is the few occasions where the German language could be used.

I think I was not specific enough. I know that English is the scientific language around the world. And it is also the language for this forum.
I thought of some Off-Topic area, where we could talk about some other stuff except coding and electronics. I thought of new smartphones, etc. About our hobbies, something like that.
I just mentioned that language thing because if I knew someone here who's speaking German, I could contact him/her directly via PN/Skype/etc. and I could use my mother tonge in this private conversation. I never thought of an language specific forum.

NeonMika.Webserver
own - and upload files

If you need help with NeonMika.Webserver, please just leave a note in the thread and/or contact me via Skype :)

--- Mistakes teach you important lessons. Every time you make one, you are one step closer to your goal. ----

#4 liqdfire

liqdfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

I will bite. My name is Chris, I am from Florida, USA, was born in Missouri and grew up on a farm. We moved to Florida when I was 13, and that's when I got my first exposure to computers. I work for a very large software dev company, within the top 5 largest in the world, my official title is "Senior Software Engineer", in practice though I am the team lead for our R&D .Net team, and have 7 other developer that work under me. I currently do not have any college degrees; though, I have started working towards getting my BS in Mechanical Engineering.

#5 AJB2K3

AJB2K3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi everybody! My Name is A.J (I do not use my real name if I can help it! I'm from the UK, I find en-us does have it's advantages by dropping nonsense vowels! I failed in school and became an electrician (I wanted electronics but didn't like school) I now work as a fire extinguisher engineer condemning Amerex Extinguishers! (small tounge in cheek dig at the us fire ext market! :P ) self taught in electronics, html and css (which is why I'm so slow to grasp netmf I speak en-gb very badly for someone born and bread in this country, and learning japanese OMG this feels like an AA meeting!

"Maybe it's because you're a crap programmer"

#6 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

My official title is "Senior Software Engineer", in practice though I am the team lead for our R&D .Net team

That sounds pretty interesting. But are R&D jobs not always a little endangered to get rationalised when profit goes down?

OMG this feels like an AA meeting!

Ha, I'm honest, I had to google what this is :D
Yeah, when I think about it, it's kinda like this... But I like to know at least some basics about the persons around me, even if they are "just digital" in this community :)

Greets, Markus

NeonMika.Webserver
own - and upload files

#7 AJB2K3

AJB2K3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

As the youngest of the engineers in the company I'm also the most experienced and unofficially hold the tital of "Chef engineer"

#8 liqdfire

liqdfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:15 AM

That sounds pretty interesting. But are R&D jobs not always a little endangered to get rationalised when profit goes down?

Our R&D is actually more just new dev, but I do get to do a fair bit of research. The team I am in charge of is actually re-writing out flagship product; we have been working on it for about 3 years, and are just now getting it out into the market, so far it has been a big hit; so job security it not something I have to worry about.

Plus there is not such thing as job security only secure people, if you always strive to be in the top 10% of your chosen field then you should never have to worry about having a job.

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

This is a great thread. I believe that Netduino is all about community and friends and enabling cool projects...so please post away!

We try to keep conversation around Netduinos, but if you the community wants to chat about random stuff we can certainly create a forum for it.

[We'd just have to figure out how to make the "view new content" feature filter those out for folks who want to only see new Netduino-related content.]

OMG this feels like an AA meeting!

Nope, that was Tuesday night :D

Chris

#10 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

So my question is: Why is there no "Offtopic" / "Non-electronic / Non-Code" area on this forum?

We're going to look into that. No promises yet though! ;)

To get ontopic (muhahaha)
My name is Stefan Thoolen, 28 years old, married, three pets, living in The Netherlands. I speak Dutch and English. I also know a bit of a few other languages but I wouldn't dare to use them a lot.
I have no education in electronics or software development, I do both as a hobby, and learn in the progress of many failures.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#11 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

[We'd just have to figure out how to make the "view new content" feature filter those out for folks who want to only see new Netduino-related content.]

Nope, that was Tuesday night :D

Chris

that would be great :)

i like it that you think the same way of a community like me.

and your AA comment made my day :D

We're going to look into that. No promises yet though! ;)

To get ontopic (muhahaha)
My name is Stefan Thoolen, 28 years old, married, three pets, living in The Netherlands. I speak Dutch and English. I also know a bit of a few other languages but I wouldn't dare to use them a lot.
I have no education in electronics or software development, I do both as a hobby, and learn in the progress of many failures.

Where do you get all the time to learn this things in your sparetime? For me it's hard to find
time to learn the electronic basics :P

Greats

ps: my phone doesnt like the editor :P

NeonMika.Webserver
own - and upload files

#12 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Where do you get all the time to learn this things in your sparetime? For me it's hard to find
time to learn the electronic basics :P

I ask myself that question quite often ;)
But actually, it's just playing and while doing that, learning. Love it ;)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#13 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

I ask myself that question quite often ;)
But actually, it's just playing and while doing that, learning. Love it ;)

I also love to learn new things, Im so looking forward to univerity.

But my girlfriend isnt that technic-fascinated. If I sit down for more than one hour, she gets a little "annoying" because i work for something that doesnt bring me much. She diesnt really understand that this is fun to me :P

NeonMika.Webserver
own - and upload files

#14 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

But my girlfriend isnt that technic-fascinated. If I sit down for more than one hour, she gets a little "annoying" because i work for something that doesnt bring me much. She diesnt really understand that this is fun to me :P

My wife doesn't mind. One upside here is that she works in a hotel/restaurant so she's at work a few evenings each week.

Also, try comparing it with something your girlfriend do for fun. Shopping perhaps? ;)

#15 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

My wife doesn't mind. One upside here is that she works in a hotel/restaurant so she's at work a few evenings each week.

Also, try comparing it with something your girlfriend do for fun. Shopping perhaps? ;)

My girlfriend comes home from school everyday :P
But you're right, everyone has other interests...

NeonMika.Webserver
own - and upload files

#16 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

Hey guys...I guess your girls are right!...Maybe your meaning of "fun" is not what they actually ask! AKA: sometime power off the Netduino and play...Monopoly! :P
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#17 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

AKA: sometime power off the Netduino and play...Monopoly! :P

Or watch romantic chick movies that bore the hell out of me together. but hey, popcorn! :D

#18 AlfredBr

AlfredBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

Hi! I'm AlfredBr from Connecticut, USA. I'm married, three kids, two pets. I'm old(ish) - my profile picture is ancient. I'm a professional software developer. I worked for both IBM and Microsoft for a while and I've been working with electronics and microcontrollers for about 30 years (I still have an original BasicStamp and a UV EPROM (not EEPROM!) eraser on my workbench. I've had loads of 'formal-training', degrees, been a bit player on a few open-source projects, blah, blah, blah... My Dad was a radio and radar repairman in the army (and later worked for NYFD Communications) so I grew up knowing where all the tube testers were in the neighborhood. I also want to tell you about my wife. While she too will watch an occasional 'chick-flick', she is also very technical (from the hammer/wrench/screwdriver perspective) and came into our marriage with a stocked toolbox to rival mine! She can code. I bought 5 Netduinos (all types represented), 3 Arduinos/Freeduinos, numerous BasicStamps and PICs. I started programming on a PDP-11, then a TRS-80 Model 1, a C-64, an IBM 5150, some UNIX machines and now Win7/.NET4. Some of the Heathkits I've assembled in the 1970's are still working. I've met Chris Walker in person a couple times and I can tell you he really is a wonderful, smart, enthusiastic, guy. I don't post much here, but I agree that the smart people that have discovered this little device are quite friendly! [P.S. I agree, we need to keep this Netduino focused. 'View New Content' should not show these posts.]

#19 AJB2K3

AJB2K3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

One of the members here asked how I remember resister colour code values, when I told him hes said it's a rude method he will try to forget :blink: :blink:
It's a world wide standered saying!

Bad Boys Rape Only Young Girls Because Virgins Give Willingly, Get Some Now !

What do others use?

@ AlfredBr - I have a mint unused Basic schools stamp around someware!

#20 liqdfire

liqdfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:22 AM

One of the members here asked how I remember resister colour code values, when I told him hes said it's a rude method he will try to forget :blink: :blink:
It's a world wide standered saying!

What do others use?

@ AlfredBr - I have a mint unused Basic schools stamp around someware!

I rely on the values being written on the package because I am color blind, though I like your method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.