Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

greg's Content

There have been 10 items by greg (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#28143 Interesting performance thread over at TinyCLR

Posted by greg on 26 April 2012 - 02:06 PM in Netduino Go

Hi fxmaker,

One of the design goals with Netduino Go was to enable the micros on the modules to do the heavy lifting for native code. So that you can focus on command-and-control logic in your mainboard C# code. We also included a true MiniJTAG (Cortex Debug Port) connection on the mainboard so that you can mix native code into your firmware and debug using a super-inexpensive STLink/V2 JTAG debugger.

All that said, the STM32F405 micro on Netduino Go is several times faster than the 72MHz ARMv4 NXP chips. You will see quite a bit of overhead from the MSIL interpeter (running your C# code) but it should be quite a bit zippier. That chip is a monster. To be specific, 210 DMIPS plus it has a math co-proc on board.

Chris

Chris you and your STM's! Although I will agree the F4s are awesome.

BTW - a little off topic but I thought you were leaning towards the Atmel Cortex-M4, but you went with the ST? Not that I'm complaining, I really like the ST stuff.

-Greg

#18912 Difference between Netduino and FEZ Boards?

Posted by greg on 07 October 2011 - 06:19 PM in General Discussion

Do you have any other nice idea what could be realized with an Netduino?

I am not sure what you're getting at here. The Netduino and Fez are pretty much identical products - so whatever you can come up with you can accomplish. About the only drawback to either product is if you need absolute timing in your application. Since it's managed code you can't control that (i.e., GC will run, etc) but for 99.9% of ideas this won't be that important.

#18901 Difference between Netduino and FEZ Boards?

Posted by greg on 07 October 2011 - 12:52 PM in General Discussion

if you want your students to also read/learn from the firmware source...?

No !.
I only want to use a board like this for some simple tasks like:
- a DCF77 clock
- an electronic keylock using a matrix keyboard (3x4 keymatrix, LCD)
- a radio clock (MP3 player (VS1053B chip), radio (Silicon Labs chip), clock function, touchpanel)
- reformatting NMEA strings from a GPS receiver

Honestly either board will do that just fine. And they'll both do it in C# with Visual Studio. And the programs will both be almost identical, there will be just a couple of minor differences in how you access the board pins.

#18488 CANBus ...

Posted by greg on 27 September 2011 - 12:57 PM in General Discussion

Hi Greg.
This CANBUS shield seems okay for the Netduino, since it uses the SPI.
I browsed quickly the datasheet, and it seems that there's no problems to interface.

Now, you answer me:

• why you must use CANBUS?
  • why using Netduino over Fez?
Cheers

The whole point was to not have spend more than the netduino on a shield.

CANBus is required for some model railroad control bus communication.

As for Fez vs Netduino - I prefer the netduino - its open firmware vs closed.

#18453 CANBus ...

Posted by greg on 26 September 2011 - 11:38 PM in General Discussion

So what are the chances of a new 'duino product that supports CANBus on the board vs having to buy a $50 shield? I could REALLY use CANBUS connectivity and would prefer to use my netduino over the Fez (which supports it on the board). Come on Walker - help a guy out! :)

#18223 GPRS Nanny Cam

Posted by greg on 20 September 2011 - 03:09 AM in General Discussion

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9607

Something like this?

Speaking as a network engineer for a Very Large Wireless Company chances are you won't find this in something that you can stick on a little kid. All the consumer grade electronics are going to be bulkier. Not to mention I don't think you want to stick a LiPo battery on your kid and if you want any kind of battery life LiPo is the way to go.

Cells use a LOT of juice - and since you want to be able to log into the device that means it's going to have to be always on with a data connection running. You'll save some power by using 2G (GPRS) vs 3G (UMTS) but it's still going to require a decent battery to get any kind of life out of it.

-Greg

#18222 Cortex M3 Arduino

Posted by greg on 20 September 2011 - 03:06 AM in General Discussion

Hey

Was just reading this from a few years back
http://www.arduino.c...um=1227128468/0

Seemed like a more powerful processor with a less powerful set of tools than netduino. Got me wondering why netduino is ARM7 based? Can someone explain the diff between the M3 and the older ARM7?

Edit:

This seems more recent.

http://www.electroni...o-community.htm

Ta

Les

http://www.edn.com/a...3_processor.php

There are a myriad of differences. I'm a big fan of the Cortex, and I've been bugging Walker to head that way for a while. :)

#14615 PCB design and manufacturing

Posted by greg on 23 June 2011 - 03:10 AM in General Discussion

Batch PCB uses GoldPhoenix in China for their manufacturing. I go directly to goldphoenix as for the boards I make it turns out much cheaper ($110 US for a 10x15in panel, double sided, pth, single sided silkscreen, no limit on holes etc)

The quality of the boards is generally very good. On the last order I did (for a full panel) they actually shipped me two panels because there was a small manufacturing error on one of the boards. They do do sanity checking too, a coupelof orders ago I forgot to include my nc drill file, they contacted me back within an hour of submitting the order to confirm whether I actually did want a board with no holes :unsure:

Wow thanks for the link. I like the fact that it's not per-board it's per-area. Sure, sometimes you may only want one or two boards but who couldn't use extras for a decent price? If you've got a 3x4" board they'll make you 8 of them for $100? Including shipping? That's fantastic. Love it.

Ah - the catch is no testing on 2 layer boards with a 15% fail rate. 4 layer and higher they test and have a 2% fail rate. Still, using the example above you'd have 1-2 boards fail per batch. Even with 2 failed boards you're talking about ~$18 per board. Not bad at all.

#13303 Quadcopter Early Flight

Posted by greg on 15 May 2011 - 02:47 PM in Project Showcase

Yes you need it when you don't know C or C++ and only know Visual Studio as a compiler :) lol I come from VB6 ... therefore, netmf is my best bet ! And I don't want a professional quality flight control, I just want mine :)

By the way, my main goal is to learn .net and I decided to start with .netmf !

This community rocks !

Mike.

p.s.: You should see my smile lol

Look at it as a new opportunity to learn. Pick up a PIC or ARM or AVR and get at it. PIC and AVR is certainly easier since you don't have to write all the initialization code though.

#13302 Netduino/Android - is it possible

Posted by greg on 15 May 2011 - 01:48 PM in General Discussion

Considering that there was a contest run by GHI for the Fez to build an android accessory with NETMF vs Arduino, and it was solved in 5 hours, I would say yes, there is no reason you couldn't do it. link to that discussion: http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/20/3212/ Bottom line is yes, you should be able to do it as long as you can get the USB connection - admittedly the FEZ has the advantage there since it's on the board already as a host but no reason you couldn't get it up and running. I haven't looked around but there's got to be a USB host shield somewhere. :P

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.