Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Terry Massey's Content

There have been 41 items by Terry Massey (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#13078 +5V instead of +3.3V

Posted by Terry Massey on 10 May 2011 - 12:48 PM in Netduino Mini

From the datasheet: Absolute Maximum Ratings
Voltage on Input Pins with Respect to Ground...........................-0.3V to + 5.5V

CW2: If you look at page 37 of the summary datasheet is says 8 independent 3.3 v Analog inputs.

#13074 +5V instead of +3.3V

Posted by Terry Massey on 10 May 2011 - 12:31 PM in Netduino Mini

Can't? Now it gets complicated ;)

Don't want to break my netduino offcause, still haven't soldered the boards, so I think I'll wait until there's a conclusive answer to this :)

Sure Stefan don't believe me if not check the tech spec page. analog input is from 0 to 3.3 V at a max of 2mA per pin.

http://www.netduino....duino/specs.htm

analog reference: 2.6 - 3.3 VDC
max current: 8 mA per pin<br class="auto-style25" style="font-family: Tahoma; font-size: small; ">digital pins 2, 3, 7: 16 mA per pin
analog pins 0-3: 2 mA per pin
microcontroller max current: 200 mA total

#13072 +5V instead of +3.3V

Posted by Terry Massey on 10 May 2011 - 12:18 PM in Netduino Mini

LOL! This is the Danger Shield
It can help give me (and others) some understanding of things, but since it's Arduino based, it's 5V. I just want to know in advance if I need to make modifications to correct that. Appairently, it won't be a problem except that the analog interfaces will be a bit more sensitive.

Holland will still be safe, I actually have a fire extinguisher in my room ;)

You cant put 5 volts into a netduino analog port.

#12816 +5V instead of +3.3V

Posted by Terry Massey on 04 May 2011 - 01:11 PM in Netduino Mini

True, but I needed a small form factor, not ethernet.
Although some day I would love a Plus, there's no need for it now and it costs money! ;)

Stefan,
If you need 3.3v as well on your project. My Netduino Mini Breakout has a 3.3v regulator and provides that supply voltage, and can be used both with the vin and the 5v inputs. As well as powering over USB. A distributor in your neck of the woods will have them in stock in the next few days. The breakout board is ~half the width of the Netduino mini and the same length.

A quick note on my Netduino Mini Breakout boards the current shipping version does not support external power and USB connection at the same time. Doing so can damage your mini.

#12549 4D Systems Shields Drivers and demo

Posted by Terry Massey on 28 April 2011 - 03:32 AM in Project Showcase

This just stinks.... I put a poll up and were about dead even.. I will say that the project going to production next has been chosen and final prototypes are being built and tested. HOwever go ahead a vote for your your favorite or let us know what you would like to see. be it a kit or a shield.

#12531 High Speed Photography

Posted by Terry Massey on 27 April 2011 - 12:34 PM in General Discussion

Is there a way to test this delay between tripping a trigger and performing a pin short?

Why would the delay be variable?

Garbage Collection. If garbage collection occurs while your trying to fire it off your code would be put on hold so thus the variable. You don't know if garbage collection will occur.

#12241 C# Coding standards

Posted by Terry Massey on 19 April 2011 - 02:09 PM in General Discussion

As an old 16 bit Windows C programmer, I used to be a big user of Hungarian Notation. You may wish to read http://www.joelonsof...cles/Wrong.html where Joel Spolsky talks about the difference between Apps Hungarian and Systems Hungarian. (Scroll to to the bottom of the post to find it).

I believe Apps Hungarian is extremely useful, but quite frankly today with managed code Systems Hungarian has lost much of its usefulness.

very nice article...... I like where he says I use kind on purpose. type/kind... Well there is a difference. because if I used oSomeCustomObject... that is just useless... but then again the variable name should be descriptive. however if for instance you have a integer/double/long/decimal to me that is very important to differentiate. because precision changes things. Is this a whole number or a decimal value and how precise it is. however if I could easily see that the value is an integer because you put i in front well I know the amount of precision. and the number of bytes it is taking up. so if your having a out of memory issue well knowing the type is important. but yes I agree I really like the suggestion on the us an s.. I do tons of web programming and that is a nice way to handle that..... I might have to start doing that.

#12235 C# Coding standards

Posted by Terry Massey on 19 April 2011 - 12:57 PM in General Discussion

Please, I do not want to open a can of worms here :-)

I'm not arguing. or trying to open the can anymore, however I will put in my two cents. One statement in the standards, I do Disagree with but only partially. It says DO NOT use Hungarian Notation! I will say if you give me a code snippet to help you out with something. and there are variables declared out of the current context. Hungarian Notation is very helpful. I don't know everything about your code so I have to make a guess as to the type. and My guess could be wrong making it take 3-4 Times as long to help you out. I come from a background where Hungarian Notation was used well strictly. However I have since grown lazy since I moved to c# from VB and VBScript. Intelisense takes care of most of that question for you. but a snippet well is just that. it is a small snapshot of a great meaning. So it just helps.

#12232 4D Systems Shields Drivers and demo

Posted by Terry Massey on 19 April 2011 - 12:29 PM in Project Showcase

Cool Terry. Displays! Nice.

BTW, thanks for e-mailing me before you posted this. We try to keep unsolicited advertising off the forums--but sharing code contributions on your commercial website is certainly fine. We love seeing makers build businesses around Netduino and open source hardware...and hope we can help at least a few community members quit their days jobs and create/sell accessories full-time. :)

Chris

Thank you Chris for the feedback. and the kudos.

Well we have worked pretty hard the past month on these drivers. Tweaking them while we worked on the demos making them as fast and lean as possible even using logic probes to monitor the bits as they passed to each pin. However this is 4D Systems Display Shields, and we have some products we are getting ready to produce. We want to get some feedback on which ones you like the most. So I added a Poll to this Thread so not to clutter the forums. We are asking in the Poll which of our designs you would be likely to want First. I also turned on multiple selection as you may want more than one. We will take these results along with other feed back to determine which will be produced and in what order. Bear in mind there are other designed we are working on but are not quite ready for production. We will conduct another poll but likely this time on our site. New site glitch and our poll isn't showing up yet. Thanks in advance for all who participate in the Poll. as always if you have an idea let us know.. Who knows your idea might be the next one we produce.

#12219 4D Systems Shields Drivers and demo

Posted by Terry Massey on 18 April 2011 - 10:01 PM in Project Showcase

Hello Everyone.

Today I would like to share some work that community members Omar(OZ) and I have been working on for the past month. This project started out to develop a set of lean clean drivers to use the 4DSystems Display Shields.Omar did a great job removing unnecessary enums for colors that were in our first few revisions. He worked with engineers at 4D Systems to produce the most efficient code. This method reduces the amount of flash space with a simple bitof math returning a color. We have a nice set of demos included in the source.Quiche31’s Commands enum was also a huge contribution. We also wrote a nice joystick class that provides events when the joystick is moved. Omar and I are extremely excited to share this code with the community! We have many more contributions planned for the future.

We will keep this project on CodePlex up to date with the bleedingedge code. Each manufacturer and board or sets of boards will be a separateproject. The code will be kept up to date and current at http://theshieldstore.codeplex.com.Also if you have any code or project you would like to share or think will help users of the Netduino, Netduino MinI or Netduino Plus let us know by emailing MyProject@theshieldstore.com. Wewill be happy to include your code. We always suggest posting it here first.

If you want the latest tested and stable version for any given Shield you can check out http://www.theshieldstore.com. We will announce in this forum when we have a new project with drivers ready.

To view the demo and videos for the 4D Systems Shields,please visit http://www.theshield...-redefined.aspxfor the full article and videos.

Thanks,
Terry Massey and Omar(OZ)

#12160 ThingSpeak Twitter - Revisited, Cleaned up.

Posted by Terry Massey on 16 April 2011 - 09:27 PM in Project Showcase

very cool....

#12081 uIP Introduction

Posted by Terry Massey on 13 April 2011 - 04:22 PM in General Discussion

I think that's pretty good considering that the driver is operating in interrupt mode and I'm not sure if LAN-connection is 10 or 100 Mbit/s.

hanzibal,
The enc28j60 is only capable of 10Base-T which is 10MBit/s.

#12060 Are there any commercial products using NETMF?

Posted by Terry Massey on 13 April 2011 - 05:56 AM in General Discussion

Well, Netduino to us is not about money. It's about passion and it's about empowering people. To date we've more or less rolled any profits from Netduino back into new board designs, software, hardware donations, community support, etc. We plan to make some money with kits and accessories...but frankly we're just as happy when we see community members build successful Netduino kit/accessory businesses. [And in case you hadn't noticed, companies are making millions of dollars off of open source hardware kits/accessories. Not all of them are for Netduino--but Netduino users are a significant growing portion.]

I actually also really love the other products we build (software, hardware, and services) at work. But mostly because we're really proud of them, and because we try to create disruptive products that people will enjoy using.

But yeah, building things with the sole intent of making lots of money can suck the joy out of things. Making a living is important, yes, but if you can find the right balance...you can make a good living and love doing it.

Chris

To back up what Chris is saying.... I love working on hardware and software... As a person with passion, that I feel is probably the biggest key to being successful in business. I am not of course saying to ignore the business side of things. However Passion and love of a job well done, doing something that you love doing is very powerful. an enthusiastic and optimistic outlook even when things aren't selling also helps. And even then looking back there are sales I have made out of desperate attempts at trying a new method in sales. for instance this just happened recently. I have this huge belief that my netduino Mini Breakout will not only help my sales but the sales of the netduino mini. I also know that if there were others like myself without a serial port on their laptops this board would be the greatest asset designed specifically to work on the mini. So one night a week or so ago with sales not doing so well. I sent out a ton of emails to companies around the globe telling them I wanted to send them a free board if I could just get a contact to send it to. Also be aware these were form letters, but I personalized each email based on the company I was sending it to making slight modifications based on the research I did on their business. With in hours of my email blast I had emails back asking for quotes not free boards. while maybe my prayers before I sent them helped, That I don't know. but even in my most desperate attempts to keep doing what I love. I found new ways of keeping that passion alive. See that is the Key passion. If you love doing this and have a overwhelming passion for it I say go for it. because that passion will carry your thought the rough times. I never stop dreaming up ideas. Sometimes its just a little idea I hear about someone doing some crazy little thing on the forums or in the chat. I may not have the kind of sales yet that Walker does. but I understand his passion. I understand that passion for what a company is and does is what makes it successful... If your interested in some reading there is a great book called Good To Great by Jim Collins. in this book he researched and interviews some very influential companies and CEO's. He discusses what it is about them their characteristics and what makes them so successful. and when they change from following their own rules they fail. In fact one or two companies since he published have, and they did change from what made them great. There is an entire chapter devoted to passion for what you do.

I hear that same concern often from many people that I love doing this I'm afraid if I make it my job I will begin to hate it. I think it all comes down to how much you love doing it. the thing about this industry is it is a little slower moving than I am use to. and I started to get impatient with it. See in software: we develop, we test (Repeat We Develop if not right) , we deploy. Pure and simple. That is not true exactly in hardware. In hardware we design, we Prototype, we redesign, we re prototype, we deploy if correct. however the time line for a prototype is much longer. We have to wait for boards to be produced and assembled usually at least for me out of country. and we cant simply upload a file to a webserver. now we have to worry about shipping and all of that. but to me the joy comes from the design and manufacturing process. and seeing and hearing people talk about what i have created. and how they are going to use that board or design in their next project. so I ignore the things I don't like. thats true with any job though there are things we always hate. like in software status meeting with a management person who doesn't understand the software development process. every job has the things we hate. but if the passion for the work is there that is the key. ok I am now rambling and I kinda butted in on this conversation but I feel very strongly about this subject. Because passion makes everything wonderful... ;)

#12041 Easy multiplexing with the Netduino

Posted by Terry Massey on 12 April 2011 - 09:41 PM in Project Showcase

NIce work stefan

#11959 Updated web server

Posted by Terry Massey on 11 April 2011 - 04:38 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

You will need to have a look at the documentation for you router to work out how to do this. You should also review security arrangements and make sure you are fully aware of what you are doing and the security implications. You will usually open a port and then tell the router to send all traffic on that port to a specific IP (the N+ address).

Something else you need to review is you Internet facing IP address - is this static or dynamic? If it is dynamic then you will need to look at a service like dyndns (I think that's the name - it's been a long time since I used them).

Regards,
Mark

Nevyn - DynDNS is correct.

Jony - Linksys has a very nice feature that will allow you to do exactly as Nevyn just said. It is called Port Fowarding. All you need to do is login to your router using your gateway address. Your gateway will be the address of your router. Then depending on the exact model where that is located is different. However also depending on your service provider many ports are blocked to force you to purchase a business account. If you need more detailed help I can but the forum is not the best place to do this. a Chat would be better. You can PM me your Info I can help.
Good Luck,
Terry

#11918 Updated web server

Posted by Terry Massey on 11 April 2011 - 05:09 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi i'm a new user and i'm trying to acces to the Netduino+ via Internet and not only in the local area network, but could someone tell me the settings that i need to do please? Thanks to the community

that is more a routing issue than a netduino issue. as for netduino getting an IP I don't have one yet... but i do know web servers. and the key is in your router.... can you tell me how you connect it to the network/internet and what devices you have I can help with the router config... well depending on the model.....

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.