Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

+5V instead of +3.3V

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

Yay! Next week I expect a mini. Hurray! Party time!

Well, as the topic suggests, I have a question about the voltage.
A small copy/paste from http://www.netduino....omini/specs.htm :

Power
● input: 7.5 - 12.0 VDC
● output: 5 VDC regulated
● digital i/o are 3.3 V--but 5 V tolerant

Could be just me (probably is just me), but isn't this a bit weird? It stated output is 5V, but GPIO's are 3.3V. So what's ment with output then? :)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

Could be just me (probably is just me), but isn't this a bit weird? It stated output is 5V, but GPIO's are 3.3V. So what's ment with output then? :)

If you supply power via pin 24 (7 - 12V), then pin 21 is 5V regulated output. Or, you can connect 5V power supply to pin 21 (input); then pin 24 is not used.

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

Hi Stefan, The "output" power is the power on pin 21 which you can use to power other electronics. We wanted to make sure you could provide a small amount of power to both 5V components (directly from the pin) or 3.3V components (by dropping the 5V to 3.3V through an external power regulator). The digital output from the IO pins is 3.3V. But they can accept either 5V or 3.3V signals from other devices. Does that clear things up at all? Chris P.S. You can also _power_ the Netduino Mini by feeding 5V to pin 21. It's a pretty flexible little module!

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

Does that clear things up at all?

Absolutely.

P.S. You can also _power_ the Netduino Mini by feeding 5V to pin 21. It's a pretty flexible little module!

Good to know, I already noticed the same with the regular Netduino by the way, nice stuff :)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#5 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

I only noticed the lack of a regulated 3.3V output when starting my first proper Mini project that I'd prototyped using its bigger brother (a Plus). Luckily I was using a 4D uOLED screen which happened to provide a regulated 3.3V I could use.

#6 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

Why so many N-standard and -mini, but few Plus? I think the most exciting features are on the Plus version... Ciao
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#7 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

Why so many N-standard and -mini, but few Plus?
I think the most exciting features are on the Plus version...

True, but I needed a small form factor, not ethernet.
Although some day I would love a Plus, there's no need for it now and it costs money! ;)

#8 Terry Massey

Terry Massey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

True, but I needed a small form factor, not ethernet.
Although some day I would love a Plus, there's no need for it now and it costs money! ;)

Stefan,
If you need 3.3v as well on your project. My Netduino Mini Breakout has a 3.3v regulator and provides that supply voltage, and can be used both with the vin and the 5v inputs. As well as powering over USB. A distributor in your neck of the woods will have them in stock in the next few days. The breakout board is ~half the width of the Netduino mini and the same length.

A quick note on my Netduino Mini Breakout boards the current shipping version does not support external power and USB connection at the same time. Doing so can damage your mini.
Thanks,
Terry Massey

#9 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

Stefan,
A distributor in your neck of the woods will have them in stock in the next few days.

In my neck of the woods too ?

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#10 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

In my neck of the woods too ?

Netherlands/United Kingdom, doesn't give you additional customs fee. Stays within Europe.

Another voltage question, a bit related.

So;
Digital Outputs give 3.3V
Digital Inputs are 3.3V but also 5V tolerant.
How about Analog Inputs, I guess they measure 3.3V as 100%, but what will happen if they get 5V?

By the way; jeej! I got a mini by mail today. Only need a Plus to gotta catch 'em all ;)

#11 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

How about Analog Inputs, I guess they measure 3.3V as 100%, but what will happen if they get 5V?

The measured value for 5V input will bee 100% too.

#12 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

The measured value for 5V input will bee 100% too.

Ok, so if I take a 5V power source, a potmeter, and the analog input, it will go from 0 to 100% and then it will stay at 100%, but it won't be harmed and my fire extinguisher will be unemployed? :D

if Chris Walker reads this, he knows exactly what I am up to :rolleyes:

#13 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

Ok, so if I take a 5V power source, a potmeter, and the analog input, it will go from 0 to 100% and then it will stay at 100%, but it won't be harmed and my fire extinguisher will be unemployed?

I hope so Posted Image

#14 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

ok cool! It's not really a Netduino Mini-question but more generic for all Netduino's. The initial voltage question was for the mini though. Today I got the mini, but also a Danger-shield. I want to see what it does on a netduino, but it operates at 5V. Just want to make sure, before soldering the thing, that no modifications are required.

#15 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

What does need a "Danger-shield"? Why it calls as "Danger"? Should I be scared about? Stefan, are you a chemist?...I had a breeze by reading "what if I plug +5V...etc"... Holland is still a safe (and wonderful) place? Cheers

#16 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

Stefan, are you a chemist?...I had a breeze by reading "what if I plug +5V...etc"...
Holland is still a safe (and wonderful) place?
Cheers

LOL! This is the Danger Shield
It can help give me (and others) some understanding of things, but since it's Arduino based, it's 5V. I just want to know in advance if I need to make modifications to correct that. Appairently, it won't be a problem except that the analog interfaces will be a bit more sensitive.

Holland will still be safe, I actually have a fire extinguisher in my room ;)

#17 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

Yep...although naming "danger" a shield...I guess it is far to be encouraging for electronic novices... Why not "Try-me-shield"? Would you drive "Danger-car"? OK, let's close...

#18 Terry Massey

Terry Massey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

LOL! This is the Danger Shield
It can help give me (and others) some understanding of things, but since it's Arduino based, it's 5V. I just want to know in advance if I need to make modifications to correct that. Appairently, it won't be a problem except that the analog interfaces will be a bit more sensitive.

Holland will still be safe, I actually have a fire extinguisher in my room ;)

You cant put 5 volts into a netduino analog port.
Thanks,
Terry Massey

#19 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

You cant put 5 volts into a netduino analog port.

Can't? Now it gets complicated ;)

Don't want to break my netduino offcause, still haven't soldered the parts to the board, so I think I'll wait with that until there's a conclusive answer to this :)

#20 Terry Massey

Terry Massey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

Can't? Now it gets complicated ;)

Don't want to break my netduino offcause, still haven't soldered the boards, so I think I'll wait until there's a conclusive answer to this :)

Sure Stefan don't believe me if not check the tech spec page. analog input is from 0 to 3.3 V at a max of 2mA per pin.

http://www.netduino....duino/specs.htm

analog reference: 2.6 - 3.3 VDC
max current: 8 mA per pin<br class="auto-style25" style="font-family: Tahoma; font-size: small; ">digital pins 2, 3, 7: 16 mA per pin
analog pins 0-3: 2 mA per pin
microcontroller max current: 200 mA total

Thanks,
Terry Massey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.