Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

hanzibal's Content

There have been 386 items by hanzibal (Search limited from 07-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#51590 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by hanzibal on 20 July 2013 - 12:39 AM in Netduino Mini

Hi guys, I'm back from my holiday now and was looking forward to work on the PCB that I set out to do in Eagle, but... While I was gone, my commercial IO board launched so I need to attend to that in improving the software, writing docs, creating sample projects and so on. This means I won't have time to work on the PCB for a good while. I'll be happy to see someone else pick it up instead and since I didn't get farther than removing the mosfets, there's little point in me posting the Eagle files.

#52252 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by hanzibal on 21 August 2013 - 07:57 AM in Netduino Mini

Wow!

#55448 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by hanzibal on 17 January 2014 - 09:48 PM in Netduino Mini

Thanks baxter, I'll be sure to make a post when the driver's ready so that I got something to show you.

#51139 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by hanzibal on 06 July 2013 - 03:08 AM in Netduino Mini

Extremely off topic now: The triangle of binomial coefficients, a.k.a. the triangle of Pythagoras perhaps? But what about monday... EDIT: I'm so stupid, 29 as in your nick will go lay down now. A miscalculation, sleep well! EDIT: Nope, wrong again I think. I actually came to think about the tower of Babel and then found out about Ziggurat: http://en.wikipedia....urat_at_Babylon It was not until I saw the tower that I realized that your avatar depicts it. The number 29 according to the formula has probably something to do with the dimensions of the tower structure. This does not solve the riddle but interesting never the less. I have to give this some more thought and a bit of reading. I find these kind of things highly interesting. Sorry for all the off-topic stuff here guys.

#55479 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by hanzibal on 19 January 2014 - 10:15 AM in Netduino Mini

It's based on the RAK410 module, specs are here: http://www.rakwirele...0_Datasheet.pdf image.jpg To the left is a PeekyPokey used to explore the API since it's more conveniant to do directly from the PC. When I'm done, I'll move the code to the Netduino.

#51138 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by hanzibal on 06 July 2013 - 03:00 AM in Netduino Mini

Hmm...now I can't sleep trying to figure that one out :-)

#50976 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by hanzibal on 01 July 2013 - 07:55 AM in Netduino Mini

your radio or host board?  I've flicked pwr_en high and low just fine, so maybe double check the wiring, maybe it's OK!

The radio, when trying to set the pwr_en input pin high by applying 3.3V to it, it seems to result in a short circuit.

#50988 Spark Core (TI CC3000) Porting for Super WiFI Mini?

Posted by hanzibal on 01 July 2013 - 03:16 PM in Netduino Mini

I did try the dead chicken routine but nothing in particular happened (other than our old parrot arising from the dead which was kind of freaky btw).

I too have a Bus Pirate laying somewhere, still untouched since I use the scope instead, it works pretty ok for me.

Vdd is 3V3 but I might have accidentally applied 5V logic at some point effectively killing the pin (I'm using my own USB explorer board, not a Netduino).

Btw, are you also using the older TiWi-SL eval board from LS Research?

TiWi-SL.jpg

I soldered short wires onto pins 7 - 12 on both the J4 and J5 headers (and left all other pins unused), then stuck it down a regular breadboard.

#50619 Best Hobby Oscilloscope

Posted by hanzibal on 18 June 2013 - 06:40 PM in General Discussion

Hi! The logic sniffer seems ok for UART and PWM analyzis but not as an oscilloscope: The analogue bandwidth of 200kHz is way too low and makes it pretty useless The display is tiny, mine is many times bigger and I still wish it was a lot bigger Buffers are very small, you can only see small fragments at a time I think these kind of gadgets are rather cool but don't qualifiy as oscilloscopes. It's like they thought "We got this tiny piece of hardware, let's see if we can make an oscilloscope out of it". It would be better if they'd thought "hey, let's design an oscilloscope and choose whatever hardware meets the requirements". No, I would put my money on something else.

#56689 Automated Urban Garden

Posted by hanzibal on 07 March 2014 - 06:55 AM in Project Showcase

To think there are more than one manufacturer of such things, incredible really!

#56671 Automated Urban Garden

Posted by hanzibal on 06 March 2014 - 11:49 AM in Project Showcase

Great project!

If you need more sensors, you could try interfacing the Parrot Flower Power:
http://www.parrot.com/flowerpower/en/

It would require a Bluetooth LE module and probably hacking their protocol. The flower power is a bit expensive but there's also the SensorTag from Texas which is not miles away (not a coinsidence):
http://www.ti.com/tool/cc2541dk-sensor

#56685 Automated Urban Garden

Posted by hanzibal on 06 March 2014 - 09:31 PM in Project Showcase

The SensorTag is just 25 dollars :-)

I got one, works perfecly with iOS devices but haven't got around getting a board for my Netduinos yet and turned out there's no BT LE drivers for my good old XP box (while as it is built into Win 7).

#56202 Networked music player using the mini

Posted by hanzibal on 19 February 2014 - 12:15 PM in Project Showcase

Great, that you found it useful! I saw your antique radio project and I really love the mix of new and old that you get from putting new internals in old machines. My late mother used to have one similar to yours, you'd have to wait for like 15 minutes for it to get warm before you could use it. Sadly, we didn't keep it. Cheers!

#57935 Networked music player using the mini

Posted by hanzibal on 04 May 2014 - 06:17 PM in Project Showcase

SCI_VOL is a h/w register of the vs1053b chip, so you need to write the value 0x2424 to the register. You do this using the serial command interface (hence the "SCI" prefix) over SPI.

// Write to an  SCI register
    private void WriteRegister(byte address, ushort data, bool waitForDREQ = true)
    {
        wr_buff[0] = 2;                    // write command
        wr_buff[1] = address;              // register
        wr_buff[2] = (byte)(data >> 8);    // high byte
        wr_buff[3] = (byte)(data & 0xff);  // low byte

SelectCommand();                   // select SCI
        if (waitForDREQ) AwaitDREQ();      // wait for dreq to go high
        spip.Write(wr_buff);
    }

// example of setting volume
    WriteRegister(REG_SCI_VOL, 0x2424);

The code snippet above is taken from my source code (puplished earlier).

I would use a rotary encoder but if you want to use a potentiometer, you can set it up as a simple voltage divider GND - 3.3V and then read the voltage of the wiper using a Netduino analogue pin. You would then need to add software to continuously poll the analogue pin for any changes in voltage, executing the corresponding volume adjustments.

#58076 Networked music player using the mini

Posted by hanzibal on 12 May 2014 - 06:36 PM in Project Showcase

The 16 bit register is divided into two bytes of 8 bits (256 steps) each, you need to set the two bytes separtely like so:

byte left_vol = 45;
byte right_vol = 90;

ushort vol = (left_vol << 8) + right_vol;

WriteRegister(REG_SCI_VOL, vol);

#56604 Extensive driver for the MCP23S17 I/O expander

Posted by hanzibal on 03 March 2014 - 08:58 AM in Project Showcase

Carrying the multi SPI conversation on here...
Do you think it is possible to incorporate Steffan's multi spi mgr in to your MCP23S17 driver?

Yes but can this really be achieved with mIP 100% unchanged?

Am I correct in saying the use of a bus is to allow for multiple port changes to be made in one write, thus increasing speed and efficiency?

If this is correct, then I also understand that I can't make a bus spanning multiple chips, however if for example I wanted to change the state of 10 pins 5 on each chip, then I could create a class that identifies which pins are on which bus and perform 2 writes one for each bus?

Both correct and the best way to do this is probably for you to wrap the driver in another class of your own.

#56344 Extensive driver for the MCP23S17 I/O expander

Posted by hanzibal on 24 February 2014 - 07:31 PM in Project Showcase

Problem ought to be the Object.GetHashCode method returning the same value for two different instances which I never anticipated in the context of how it's being used here. Among other things, MSDN says this about GetHashCode:

...The GetHashCode method can be overridden by a derived type. If GetHashCode is not overridden, hash codes for reference types are computed by calling the Object.GetHashCode method of the base class, which computes a hash code based on an object's reference; for more information, see RuntimeHelpers.GetHashCode. In other words, two objects for which the ReferenceEquals method returns true have identical hash codes...

I'll figure something out - meanwhile you could try using only Bank 0 and see if you can get that working.

#56262 Extensive driver for the MCP23S17 I/O expander

Posted by hanzibal on 22 February 2014 - 01:30 AM in Project Showcase

Looking great! A couple of things though: 1. You should connect D12 to MISO (assuming you got a Netduino 2). 2. There's a bug in your code - when looping to create your 16 output ports, you cannot pass in counter values 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,...etc casted as pins since these need be integer powers of two, e.g. 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,...etc. You can achieve this like so:
for (uint Counter = 0; Counter < pinCount; ++Counter)    Outs[Counter] = chip1.CreateOutputPort((MCP23S17.Pins)(1 << Counter), false);
However, I really think you should be using the enums, then your code will be easier to read and will work even if I change the implementation. For example, you would have avoided the above bug :-) I see your expander board has the IRQ pins broken out after all which is great news but you might want to add that later when you got the basics working. Hope this helps!

#56205 Extensive driver for the MCP23S17 I/O expander

Posted by hanzibal on 19 February 2014 - 02:07 PM in Project Showcase

Here's a series of example on how to use the driver.

using MCP23S17Lib;// print code versionDebug.Print(MCP23S17.Version);// create a new instance of the driver class using pin 17 for !CS and pin 18 for IRQvar io = new MCP23S17(SPI.SPI_module.SPI1, Pins.GPIO_PIN_17, Pins.GPIO_PIN_18);// create an input port for MCP23S17 pin 0var p0 = io.CreateInputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_0);// create an input port for MCP23S17 pin 1var p1 = io.CreateInputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_1);// create an output port for MCP23S17 pin 2var p2 = io.CreateOutputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_2);// set p2 to the logical AND between p0 and p1p2.Value = p0.Value && p1.Value;// toggle p2 a few times (really quickly)p2.BurstWrite(new bool[]{true, false, true, false, true, false});// create an interrupt port for pin 12. Apply a weak pull up and have it fire interrupts on low edgesvar ip12 = io.CreateInterruptPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_12, MCP23S17.PullupMode.Pullup, MCP23S17.InterruptMode.EdgeLow);// attach an interrupt handler to pin 12ip12.OnInterrupt += (MCP23S17.Pins pin, bool value, DateTime time) =>    {        Debug.Print("Interrupt occurred on p12!");    };// quick and dirty single line interrupt handler on pin 14 with defaults (no pull up, both edges)io.CreateInterruptPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_14).OnInterrupt += (MCP23S17.Pins pin, bool value, DateTime time) =>    {        Debug.Print("Interrupt occurred on pin " + pin.ToString());    };// create a 4 pin output bus (MSB first)var bus = io.CreateBus (    io.CreateOutputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_6),    io.CreateOutputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_5),    io.CreateOutputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_4),    io.CreateOutputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_3));// set pins 6 and 4 to logic highbus.Value = 10;// create a 5 bit mixed bus of both inputs and outputs// which must be consecutive (e.g. not scarse)var mixbus = io.CreateBus(    io.CreateInputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_11),    io.CreateOutputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_10),    io.CreateInputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_9),    io.CreateOutputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_8),    io.CreateOutputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_7));// this will only effect output pinsmixbus.Value = 0xffff;// this will read all five pins ushort mixbusvalue = mixbus.Value;// attach an interrupt handler to the mixed bus mixbus.OnInterrupt += (ushort interruptmask, ushort value, DateTime time) =>{    Debug.Print("Interrupt occurred!nBus value is " + value.ToString());

The above example uses SPI module #1 and pins 17 and 18 on a Netduino mini but you can easily change it to work on other pins and on any Netduino model, just change the first lines.

#56200 Extensive driver for the MCP23S17 I/O expander

Posted by hanzibal on 19 February 2014 - 10:54 AM in Project Showcase

What's this?
This thread is about a software driver for a chip called MCP23S17 that provides 16 additional digital IO pins to a micro controller such as the one on your Netduino.

Posted Image

The MCP23S17 gives you 16 digital input, output and interrupt enabled pins over SPI. Up to eight chips can be combined on a single SPI bus to provide a maximum of 128 pins.

Background
I was originally looking to make a dual ] board (Arduino shield form factor) for this driver to be used with. As so often however, I haven't found the time to complete the board so I decided to release the driver code for others to use.

About the software
The driver class is actually quite powerful and has a lot of features. The whole interface somewhat mimics that of native Netduino GPIOs in how they are created and used. Full source code is attached to this post.

You can create individual pins (input, output, interrupt) and also buses to represent a collection of pins in parallell.

The buses are very powerful - for example, you can easily create a 4 pin bus to be used in controlling an LCD or something like that.

You can also read and write pins or buses in a so called "burst mode" - this will result in bit streams in either direction at about a tenth of the configured SPI speed.

The driver can also be used in a special "direct mode" where all the built-in code for thread safe pin management etc is bypassed in favor of more speed.

How to use it
Simply download the attached code file and add it to your project and start coding with it - these lines of code the only ones needed for an output port:
// create driver to use SPI bus #1 and Netduino pin 17 for chip selectvar chip = new MCP23S17(var io = new MCP23S17(SPI.SPI_module.SPI1, Pins.GPIO_PIN_17);// create a port for pin 1var outport = chip.CreateOutputPort(MCP23S17.Pins.GPIO_1);// drive pin 1 highoutport.Value = true;
There are more examples abailable in posts ahead. There's currently no separate documentation for the software but it's easy to adopt and there are lots of intelli-comments in the code to help guide you through.

I'd love for you guys to try it out and then hear about your experiences!

Hardware
Obviously, you need one or more MCP23S17 chips as well. The chip is available in a breadboard friendly DIP28 package and breakout boards are available on eBay and other places.

You wire the chip just as you would any other SPI slave device - connect power, ground, miso, mosi, clock, chip select and optionally an additional pin to receive interrupts.

NOTE: This driver is for the SPI version of the chip, i.e. MCP23S17 and not the regular MCP23017 which uses I2C. I was planning on isolating the transport layer to support both but I will probably never get around doing that so if you're up for it...feel free!

Code revision history:
v1.1 - corrected a bug involved in cascading
v1.2 - added internal multi SPI mgr
V1.3 - made a few insignificant clean ups
v1.4 - corrected a nasty bug in the multi SPI mgr

Attached File  MCP23S17.cs   57.85KB   62 downloads

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#56313 Extensive driver for the MCP23S17 I/O expander

Posted by hanzibal on 23 February 2014 - 09:08 PM in Project Showcase

ok.. another great work Andy. so... actually i dont need to drive LCD display using M74HC595. I think it should be easier to drive it using MCP2317.... :rolleyes: thanks in advance for hanz and andy.

Yes, that's an excellent idea - and it would be really cool to see the software being used to drive an LCD too! TIP: Try using BurstWrite on a bus... Thanks to the pins A0,A1,A2 of each chip (reflected through the hwAddr constuctor parameter), you can cascade up to 8 chips on the same SPI bus producing a maximum of 128 GPIOs all with the same CS line - but, I need to make a few adjustments to allow the same SPI module to be shared among multiple driver instances. At present, such an attempt would result in an exception of type "resource already in use" or something like that - just like mcinnes01 just experienced. NOTE: The driver is for the SPI version, e.g. the MCP23S17 with an "S" in the middle - not the regular MCP23017 which runs on I2C.

#56315 Extensive driver for the MCP23S17 I/O expander

Posted by hanzibal on 23 February 2014 - 10:04 PM in Project Showcase

Cool, so you "only" need to write your own LcdProvider class where you would then make internal use of the MCP23S17 driver in creating and using a bus from the pins you supply in the parameter list above - correct?

#56341 Extensive driver for the MCP23S17 I/O expander

Posted by hanzibal on 24 February 2014 - 07:02 PM in Project Showcase

Ah, I see it now, in the inner for loop, you should replace pinCnt with icPins. Sorry, I think that was my fault, I misinterpreted your variable naming. Hopefully, it will work after that mod.

#56319 Extensive driver for the MCP23S17 I/O expander

Posted by hanzibal on 23 February 2014 - 10:24 PM in Project Showcase

....Any ideas?...

I just updated the driver code in post #1 - it now contains an internal light weight multiple SPI manager so you shouldn't be getting that exception anymore. Please try it when you can and report back since I haven't actually tested it myself yet :unsure: because all my Netduinos are occupied :) This also means sharing a single SPI bus among multiple driver instances should work, both when cascading using a shared CS line and when using separate per chip CS lines. EDIT: Sorry for messing with your code, but may I suggest:
for (int ic = 0; ic < icCnt; ic++){    chip[ic] = new MCP23S17(SPI_Devices.SPI1, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D10, Pins.GPIO_NONE, ic, 7000);    // Define all outputs    for (int pin = 0; pin < pinCnt; pin++)        Outs[16 * ic + pin] = chip[ic].CreateOutputPort((MCP23S17.Pins)(1 << pin), false);}
Really anxious to know if the driver works with your board!

#56343 Extensive driver for the MCP23S17 I/O expander

Posted by hanzibal on 24 February 2014 - 07:16 PM in Project Showcase

Hmm, thats odd - it's the multi SPI mgr reporting an attempt to add the same object twice. Let me get back to you shortly...

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.