carb's Content - Netduino Forums - Page 7

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

carb's Content

There have been 185 items by carb (Search limited from 17-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#36654 Dead Mini

Posted by carb on 06 October 2012 - 09:42 PM in Netduino Mini

Still can't get it to work. So I am buying the Keyspan. I'll let you know if it works.

Jack,

Managed to update my Netduino Mini today using a Synapse Netduino Mini Breakout board that I got from Jameco.

I had a few problems, but finally got it to work.

The board connects via USB, but must be selected to RS232.

It showed up as Com3, ended up using Sam-Ba 2.11 due to communication error that I got with 2.12 (may have had the board selected to TTL at the time, not sure). I could have tried a higher voltage supply to the breakout but it did update at 5 vdc from the USB.

Tested the board okay after I figured out that Pin 17 was PWM0.

Good luck,
Chuck

#36582 Simple wiring question

Posted by carb on 05 October 2012 - 03:37 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

oh ya guess I wire it like this too

Posted Image

Perkunas,

Unless I am missing something you do not need a pullup to make the circuit work.

The following code works fine with a Netduino Classic:
using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino;

namespace NetduinoApplication1
{
  public class Program
  {
    public static void Main()
    {
      InputPort D0input= new InputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D0,false ,Port.ResistorMode.PullUp);
      OutputPort Led = new OutputPort(Pins.ONBOARD_LED, false);
      bool inputstate = false;
      while (true)
      {
        inputstate = D0input.Read();
        Led.Write(inputstate);
        Thread.Sleep(100);
      }
    }
  }
}

The advantages are:
  • Less components (no resistors)
  • Not applying 5 vdc onto the DIO (they are 5 volt compliant, but normal work at 3.3vdc)
  • Uses the resistor.mode.pullup

You can test by placing a jumper wire from ground to D0, which takes it to zero voltage i.e. false. This turns the onboard LED off, remove the wire the internal pullup brings D0 to 3.3vdc i.e. true, onboard LED comes on.

If you want to output to a DIO, change from Onboard_LED to one of the Digital Outputs.

Hope this help,
Chuck

#36601 Simple wiring question

Posted by carb on 06 October 2012 - 02:48 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thanks I wasn't sure about those on board resistors or how to use them, so I wired it in as the diagram.
Wired in both the same (1st time wiring the input sides)
Next time Ill use the on board resistors.
Its actually coming from a controller so its a relay that closes and not a switch Principals the same.
IDK as long as it works, thanks for the help.

No Problem,

The relay has contacts the same as a switch.

I actual ran the code on a Netduino Classic 4.2 firmware.

There are a lot of code that you can pull snippets from on the forum, I have been mainly using visual basic, but pulled the code snippet from the project pages "pushing the button, action and reaction" project to make sure I had the correct syntax for C#.

Chuck

#36627 My Simple Go Module wishlist

Posted by carb on 06 October 2012 - 12:23 PM in Netduino Go

Thats quite a bit of power... Would a motor driver suit your needs better maybe?

Arron, maybe could reduce the current some but I was looking to be able control a motor contactor or a SSR for water heater etc.

A motor driver would likely work, I was thinking of using a mosfet for the output.
Chuck

#36606 My Simple Go Module wishlist

Posted by carb on 06 October 2012 - 04:07 AM in Netduino Go

IO expander modules are a big target for Netduino Go. This is really good input.

For a 16 IO module, would you want terminal connectors or standard 0.1" headers?

5V or 3V3 output? 5V tolerance?

Chris

Chris,

Both terminal and headers would be nice, I have been thinking about an output board for driving LEDs or relays (mechanical and Solid State) that could sink 100 to 200 ma per output. Just haven't gotten enough time to start it.

Chuck

#36626 My Simple Go Module wishlist

Posted by carb on 06 October 2012 - 12:19 PM in Netduino Go

Jack,

One of the forum members has a shield that gives you 32 DIOs Multiplexor Shield. It should work on the shield base. i have one but haven't used it yet.

Chuck

#38141 Anyone else building Netduino Powered Halloween Props?

Posted by carb on 28 October 2012 - 07:46 PM in General Discussion

Giuliano,

I purchased a couple of the Parallax Rev B PIRs.

I connected one the PIRs to my Netduino Classic, and it worked fine without a pull resistor. I wrote sample code to operate the onboard LED and a digital output for a relay. Connecting the PIR to Ground, 3.3 vdc and D2

using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino;

namespace PIR_Test
{
  public class Program
  {
    static OutputPort D1 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D1, false);
    static InputPort PIR = new InputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D2, false,Port.ResistorMode.Disabled);
    static OutputPort LED = new OutputPort(Pins.ONBOARD_LED, false);

public static void Main()
    {
      Thread.Sleep(20000);
      while (true)
      {
        LED.Write(PIR.Read());
        D1.Write(PIR.Read());
      }
    }
  }
}
Chuck

#43244 Multiple i2c -bmp085 and lcd shield

Posted by carb on 13 January 2013 - 02:02 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Jim,

I don't know if I can help but I need a little more information.

Which board are you using, Netduino Plus or the Plus 2?

You have both devices on I2C, which addresses are you using? The I2C can normally be 1 - 8 (in binary). The 2 devices need to be on different address.

Do the LCD and the BMP085 work separately?

Which firmware are you using?

Also if you can provide some source code that would help to locate a problem.

Are you using Stefan's Toolbox?

Will help if I can, but without additional information it is like asking the question "how many marbles are in this jar, true or false?"

Chuck

#39597 USB for custom made board

Posted by carb on 18 November 2012 - 07:55 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thank you for your ongoing excellent support Chris

Can you please point me to direction to obtain a suitable TinyBooterDecompressor.bin and the regular Netduino firmware

Many thanks
Nissim

Nissim,

The files are located in the Pinned thread at the top of this forum and on the download page.

#52382 Help bypass switch with reverse current protection

Posted by carb on 27 August 2013 - 12:51 AM in General Discussion

Andy,

You can use a single pole double pole switch. The center contact goes to the coil (other side to ground).

uC-----o o----- pwr supply

spdt switch

o

coil

Chuck

#45634 RUSSIAN METEOR

Posted by carb on 16 February 2013 - 06:10 PM in Project Showcase

It was the new sonic boom Go module.

#38858 Reading 1 Wire Digital Temp Sensor

Posted by carb on 09 November 2012 - 03:51 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'm trying to use a netduino plus to monitor temperature from a DS18B20 . I've read in the forums about a not-so-recent custom firmware (CWP) that might do the trick? Is this still advised? If it is, can someone point me to the most recent version to download said firmware? It's not clear when scrolling through the forums where I can download it and if it is the current build. PLEASE let me know if I don't actually need to downgrade to that custom firmware and if I can read the temp with what I have (4.2.0.1).

Thanks so much!

-Nick

Nick,

There has been some posts about one wire in the last couple of weeks that should help you. Try searching the forum for "One Wire" and "OneWire" and I am certain you will find what you are looking for. 4.2.0.0 firmware and One Wire and Netduino Plus 2 with OneWire

Chuck

#42563 What was and what's to come — A look back through 2012 and some thoughts...

Posted by carb on 01 January 2013 - 09:56 PM in General Discussion

Steve,

Good recap of the year. If you could throw in a few free items you may be able to get a job in politics. But with your honesty I am not sure you could get into our Democrat or Republican parties.

Happy New Year, I look forward to more great things to come.

Chuck

#40911 Netduino Plus 2 and Adafruit RGB LCD Shield

Posted by carb on 04 December 2012 - 01:58 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I am currently using Neduino SDK 4.2.1. I have tried to load the toolbox sample for the Adafruit RGB LCD display on both the Netduino Classic and Netduino Plus 2. On the Classic I get an E300000 error code and the wrong mscorlib.dll. I followed the FAQ in wiki could not change the library from 4.1 to 4.2 I then went back to the Netduino Plus 2 with firmware 4.2.1.2 loaded. The shield uses I2C and ties Analog Pins 4 & 5 to the SC & SD connection and has pullup resistors on the I2C lines. With this setup I get errors that it can not find namespace name 'Hd44780Lcd', 'IGPIPort' or 'Mcp23017'. I have added every reference that I can find if no luck. If Stefan (when you get some time) or someone can give me a hint on how to fix this it would be appreciated. Thanks, Chuck

#39236 Netduino Plus 2 Problem, and now a NP problem

Posted by carb on 13 November 2012 - 02:32 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I had rebooted a ton of times.

What I hadn't done after several different attempted solutions is simply changed usb ports on my computer.

Did that, and the drivers loaded properly, and I'm good to go.

That was going to be my next guess, glad you got to work.

Chuck

#39223 Netduino Plus 2 Problem, and now a NP problem

Posted by carb on 12 November 2012 - 11:16 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Don, Have you tried reboot of the computer, someone else said that worked for them.

#39219 Netduino Plus 2 Problem, and now a NP problem

Posted by carb on 12 November 2012 - 11:03 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

And, I now cannot find my Netduino Plus either.

Don,

Try selecting Project from the tab at the top, Select program at the bottom of the pulldown menu, then select Micro Framework page.

Change to serial transport then back to USB. Don't know why but it worked for me.

Chuck

Attached Thumbnails

• 11-12-12 18-01-19.jpg

#35203 Netduino: Good starting point for beginners?

Posted by carb on 14 September 2012 - 11:37 PM in General Discussion

Daniel, The answer lies with your girlfriends interests, if she enjoys puzzles, building thing and being creative then she most likely will enjoy using a Netduino. If she get discouraged easy when it doesn't work on the first try maybe not. I don't know of anyone that has ever tried to build something and had it work exactly the way they wanted it too or after finishing didn't come up with something else to improve on their first effort. But for most that is the challenge. Best bet is to get her one to try, she she doesn't like it, then you have one for yourself (you have to look for the silver linings sometimes). B)

#38838 adafruit LCD shield I2C

Posted by carb on 09 November 2012 - 11:43 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Im using my Netduino Plus to measure temperature values every second from a thermistor and display them on the output console in Visual Studios, when a hook up my LCD shield (5 volts) via I2C on top of the board my values drop to nearly half. Any advice/solution would be much helpful.

Thanks!!

Glen,

How are you powering the Netduino +, from the USB or the barrel connector?

If you are using the USB, you maybe loading it to where the voltage is dropping to much (depending on power supply). May want to try 9vdc to barrel connector (check polarity is correct before plugging in the adapter).

Also check solder joints on the LCD shield to make sure that there are no unwanted inter-connections between pins.

Is the regulator chip get hot? If so that may indicate overloaded regulator.

If you have an ampmeter you may be able to power the shield with male-female jumpers to read the current draw of the shield.

Other than that it is difficult to help without a clear picture or information on the setup.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

#42557 Problem with PWM Setpulse

Posted by carb on 01 January 2013 - 08:05 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Bernd,

Try http://wiki.netduino.com/

#40980 Go Socket Breakout

Posted by carb on 04 December 2012 - 10:01 PM in Netduino Go

Are these GHI breakout sockets suitable for use with the Netduino GO?

http://www.ghielectr...log/product/405

Baxter

Baxter,

I have not used the GHI breakout, so I can not say. But I can recommend the modules that Matt designed.

Komodex Labs - GoBus Breakout Module

They cost a little more but give you a lot more options and abilities for testing / programming.

Chuck

#41068 Need 12v monitoring

Posted by carb on 06 December 2012 - 01:26 AM in General Discussion

Thanks Ckuck.

I'm not sure it is 12 or 24 volt. I'll check with multimeter.

Also; how can i simulate the pressing the button?

You read the voltage between the 2 resistors and ground (make sure that you are across the 10K ohm resistor or the low value of the voltage divider, across 1 resistor is 21.6 vdc the other 2.4 vdc). I reccommend reading the voltage with a voltmeter before connecting the Netduino so as not to apply more than 3.3 vdc.

If you use a digital input when the io is false or for an analog when it reads 0 or < 0.05.

Chuck

#41046 Need 12v monitoring

Posted by carb on 05 December 2012 - 08:05 PM in General Discussion

Kaya,

Welcome to the forum.

A simple voltage divider should work, see the attached post Watching Voltage through Analog
If you only need to see if the LED is On or Off you can use either a Analog or Digital input. You will want to drop the voltage down to < 3.3 vdc.

By the way the heading says 12 volt but the text says 24 volt. If it is 12 vdc you can change the ratio of the resistors.

Chuck

Attached Thumbnails

• 12-05-12 15-27-06.jpg

#40175 Netduino Plus 2

Posted by carb on 25 November 2012 - 07:20 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hello,

I would like to buy the Netduino Plus 2. But I saw that the maximum Voltage on the barrel jacket ist up to 9V. The netduino plus has 12V. How can I supply it over the battery ? I would like to use Baby size. So I need 7 cells (7x1.2 =8.4V). Can I use this or is where a danger with overvoltage because the batteries have voltage fluctuations. Has anybody expierence with this ?

Bernd,

The Netduino Plus 2 can use 12vdc to the barrel connector, but using 9vdc reduces the power that the regulator must dump. This is not a problem if the current through the regulator is reasonable, but if you are near maximum current draw for the regulator you can overheat it. At 9vdc the temperature will be less for a given current.

This question was answered here on one of the thread if you want more detail.

Chuck

#40182 Netduino Plus 2

Posted by carb on 25 November 2012 - 08:28 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Ok thanks Chuck for the answer. I search this topic on the forum but I didn't found it. Ok so I think I can supply the Netduino P2 directly with 7 akku cells, because the current I need from the NP2 is low.

Bernd,

I found it, finally, it was in "Introducing Netduino Plus 2 The next generation of Netduino Plus" on page 3.

Netduino Plus 2 is actually designed to support 7.5V-12V still. So if you have a 12V DC power supply...you're still good to go :)

Why the silkscreen change? When you add up the power usage of the microcontroller, Ethernet, MicroSD, and a shield or two...the 5V LDO power regulator may not be able to deliver enough power when it's dropping 58% of all energy as heat (12V to 5V).

At 9V, the DC-DC switch can supply 680mA of 3.3V power to the system, giving you lots of power to run the board and shields.

And no worries...we oversized the USB/VIN power switchover circuitry to handle 12VDC as well. So as long as you understand that you'll get a lot of waste heat you're fine with 12V power.

Chris

Chuck

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.