Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

carb's Content

There have been 185 items by carb (Search limited from 05-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#40911 Netduino Plus 2 and Adafruit RGB LCD Shield

Posted by carb on 04 December 2012 - 01:58 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I am currently using Neduino SDK 4.2.1. I have tried to load the toolbox sample for the Adafruit RGB LCD display on both the Netduino Classic and Netduino Plus 2. On the Classic I get an E300000 error code and the wrong mscorlib.dll. I followed the FAQ in wiki could not change the library from 4.1 to 4.2 I then went back to the Netduino Plus 2 with firmware 4.2.1.2 loaded. The shield uses I2C and ties Analog Pins 4 & 5 to the SC & SD connection and has pullup resistors on the I2C lines. With this setup I get errors that it can not find namespace name 'Hd44780Lcd', 'IGPIPort' or 'Mcp23017'. I have added every reference that I can find if no luck. If Stefan (when you get some time) or someone can give me a hint on how to fix this it would be appreciated. Thanks, Chuck

#38838 adafruit LCD shield I2C

Posted by carb on 09 November 2012 - 11:43 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Im using my Netduino Plus to measure temperature values every second from a thermistor and display them on the output console in Visual Studios, when a hook up my LCD shield (5 volts) via I2C on top of the board my values drop to nearly half. Any advice/solution would be much helpful.

Thanks!!

Glen,

How are you powering the Netduino +, from the USB or the barrel connector?

If you are using the USB, you maybe loading it to where the voltage is dropping to much (depending on power supply). May want to try 9vdc to barrel connector (check polarity is correct before plugging in the adapter).

Also check solder joints on the LCD shield to make sure that there are no unwanted inter-connections between pins.

Is the regulator chip get hot? If so that may indicate overloaded regulator.

If you have an ampmeter you may be able to power the shield with male-female jumpers to read the current draw of the shield.

Other than that it is difficult to help without a clear picture or information on the setup.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

#38858 Reading 1 Wire Digital Temp Sensor

Posted by carb on 09 November 2012 - 03:51 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'm trying to use a netduino plus to monitor temperature from a DS18B20 . I've read in the forums about a not-so-recent custom firmware (CWP) that might do the trick? Is this still advised? If it is, can someone point me to the most recent version to download said firmware? It's not clear when scrolling through the forums where I can download it and if it is the current build. PLEASE let me know if I don't actually need to downgrade to that custom firmware and if I can read the temp with what I have (4.2.0.1).

Thanks so much!

-Nick

Nick,

There has been some posts about one wire in the last couple of weeks that should help you. Try searching the forum for "One Wire" and "OneWire" and I am certain you will find what you are looking for. 4.2.0.0 firmware and One Wire and Netduino Plus 2 with OneWire

Chuck

#42100 How to do simple SD write-read in VB

Posted by carb on 24 December 2012 - 08:56 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi

I was found some examples in C but I'm not shure how to translate it to VB code, can you show me how to do it with a simple example?

Thanks

JManual,

I assumed that you are wanting to convert C# (C Sharp) to Visual Basic. There are a couple of converts that normally work for me. The one that I use the most is Telerik Converter it converts both directions.

Chuck

#37140 Newbie External Device Power Question

Posted by carb on 14 October 2012 - 12:39 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Alright I will preface this with stating that I am completely new at this. It has been 10 years since my last Circuit Design and Digital Hardware class and most of that information has left my brain. So if the answer to my question is a recommendation to read a specific book that will work as well :)

My goal is to hook an electromagnet to a netduino. I'm looking at this one http://www.amazon.co...=A1THAZDOWP300U

and I'm not really sure how to tell if the netduino can power this.

I'm guessing from these specs the answer is no:
Rated Voltage : DC 24V;Current : 0.48A
Power : 1.2W;Attraction : 9000gf

but I'm just not 100% sure what to be looking for, I know basic electronics fail :)

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Ryan,

The Netduino can not power the coil, but you can control a relay or transistor with the Netduino and thereby control the coil.

Just out of curiosity are you going to be using the coil on a valve or to pick stuff up? The reason I ask is the coil appears to be made to work with a valve. It does not appear to have a pole piece that will direct the magnetic flux to the end of the coil for lifting objects. The magnetic field will be strongest inside the coil.

By the way welcome to the forum. Search for relays in the forum and you should find some information and code that will help you get started.

If you need additional help, please ask and provide as much information as you can about what you are trying to do. Often you will get a reply fairly quick, but please remember that most on the forum are not payed (may take some time to put an answer together for you) and a fair number live in Europe so your answers may appear in the early morning here in the North America.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

#38590 ADC reads show unexpected values

Posted by carb on 06 November 2012 - 02:06 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Dim senstemp As New AnalogInput(Cpu.AnalogChannel.ANALOG_1)
Dim Temp As Double = 0

JManual,

Try something like the following:
Imports SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware

Dim TempSensor As New SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.AnalogInput(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A0)

Also I have some code listed in Visual Basic for the Netduino Go and shieldbase.

Just search for TMP36, should help with averaging the temperatures and conversion to different scales.

Just remember that the shieldbase has a 12 bit ADC (3.3vdc / 4096) while the other Netduinos use 10 bit ADCs (3.3vdc / 1024).

Hope this helps,
Chuck

#42719 Sure Electronics led-matrix driver

Posted by carb on 04 January 2013 - 03:56 PM in Project Showcase

Mario,

I am looking forward to seeing the driver that you are working on.

I have purchased 2 of the Sure Electronic's 32x16 matrixes and a USB controler but would like to use the NP2 spi instead.

By the way Happy New Year and thanks for all the great information that you provide here on the forum and in the HighFieldTale blog.

Chuck

#40980 Go Socket Breakout

Posted by carb on 04 December 2012 - 10:01 PM in Netduino Go

Are these GHI breakout sockets suitable for use with the Netduino GO?

http://www.ghielectr...log/product/405

Baxter

Baxter,

I have not used the GHI breakout, so I can not say. But I can recommend the modules that Matt designed.

Komodex Labs - GoBus Breakout Module

They cost a little more but give you a lot more options and abilities for testing / programming.

Chuck

#44354 Netduino Go and NETMF Toolbox

Posted by carb on 28 January 2013 - 02:36 AM in Netduino Go

Chris,

The Adafruit RGB LCD Shield is I2C. http://www.adafruit.com/products/714

I have a LCD Backpack that can run in I2C or SPI that I will try to get working next weekend.

Or better yet maybe Komodex Labs will release his LCD module.

Thanks,

Chuck

#44329 Netduino Go and NETMF Toolbox

Posted by carb on 27 January 2013 - 10:45 PM in Netduino Go

I have the NETMF Toolbox sample program for the Adafruit RGB LCD Shield working on everything accept for the Netduino Go Shieldbase.

It compiles but throws an exception:

The debugging target runtime is loading the application assemblies and starting execution.

Ready.

A first chance exception of type 'System.NotImplementedException' occurred in NetduinoGo.ShieldBase.dll

An unhandled exception of type 'System.NotImplementedException' occurred in NetduinoGo.ShieldBase.dll

Has anyone gotten the sample to run on the shieldbase?

I am using the sample from the toolbox and have added the shieldbase to the references.

Imports Microsoft.SPOTImports Microsoft.SPOT.HardwareImports SecretLabs.NETMF.HardwareImports SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoImports Toolbox.NETMF.Hardware

Chuck

#43713 STM DEVICE IN DFU MODE NOT RECOGNIZED IN MFDeploy

Posted by carb on 19 January 2013 - 12:44 AM in Netduino Go

Denisetoo,

MFDeploy does not read the board in dfu (boot loader) mode.

Just unplug and replug in the board, do not hold down the pushbutton.

Open MFDeploy, change from serial to usb and you should see the netduino listed.

Chuck

#42557 Problem with PWM Setpulse

Posted by carb on 01 January 2013 - 08:05 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Bernd,

Try http://wiki.netduino.com/

#36650 Programming Netduino Go using serial

Posted by carb on 06 October 2012 - 08:01 PM in Netduino Go

Hi,

To be able to use the USB port of the Netduino Go, I want to deploy / debug the netduino go using RS232, as suggested in other posts. Does anybody have a schematic for the pin wiring?

Cheers,
Tomas

Tomas,

Don't think that you can do that.

The pinout for the sockets are under the hardware page for the Go.

Chris or some of the others may be able to help more.

Chuck

#37998 What drives your passion?

Posted by carb on 27 October 2012 - 11:03 AM in General Discussion

Steve, Great story, you ever consider writting a book? I voted. :) Chuck

#37302 LCD for beginners

Posted by carb on 17 October 2012 - 02:16 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

PShchegolevatykh,

I have used the LCD shield made by Adafruit LCD Shield, the one in the link is a white on blue with 2 lines of 16 character. They also have positive and negative RGB LCDs displays. Both are reasonably priced.

In using the shield I used Stefan's .Net Micro Framework Toolbox Toolbox it has a sample to use the Adafruit shield written in both Visual Basic & C#.

The other reason that I would reccommend this shield is that it only uses 2 IO pins (I2C communiction). This leaves most of the other pins for relays, sensors and switch inputs.

Happy shopping,
Chuck

#39962 V4.2 PWM class

Posted by carb on 22 November 2012 - 07:47 PM in Visual Studio

Hi!
How do I use the PWM class on version 4.2?Every example I find is for the previouse versions(new PWM(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D6)),but now it requires four variables.I want to write the following code(netmftoolbox - HBridge),but I cant,beause the class wont match. (sorry for my english).

Ben,

Nothing wrong with your English. B)

Checkout this link and see if that helps. PWM Example

If not please provide a little more information. i.e. Which board, Visual Basic or C# and which firmware is loaded on the board.

Also if this doesn't help Gutworks is normal on and off of the Chat room, he knows a fair amount on PWM coding.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

#39785 Switch input and output on same pin

Posted by carb on 21 November 2012 - 02:53 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I need to make a custom SCCB interface,
it requires change data pin's mode, input for reading, and output for writing,
How can I do that in C#?
Since NETMF only has one mode for a pin.

"OutputPort led = new OutputPort(Pins.ONBOARD_LED, false);"

Thanks

Sharethl,

Try searching for Tristate on the forum. Tristateport.

I have not used them before but I think that it what you may be looking for.

Chuck

#41046 Need 12v monitoring

Posted by carb on 05 December 2012 - 08:05 PM in General Discussion

Kaya,

Welcome to the forum.

A simple voltage divider should work, see the attached post Watching Voltage through Analog
If you only need to see if the LED is On or Off you can use either a Analog or Digital input. You will want to drop the voltage down to < 3.3 vdc.

By the way the heading says 12 volt but the text says 24 volt. If it is 12 vdc you can change the ratio of the resistors.

Chuck

Attached Thumbnails

• 12-05-12 15-27-06.jpg

#45550 Hello! Just getting started!

Posted by carb on 15 February 2013 - 02:56 AM in General Discussion

Isomerc,

For some drivers etc. checkout Pololu.com most can be controlled with serial connection. http://www.pololu.com/

Chuck

#52382 Help bypass switch with reverse current protection

Posted by carb on 27 August 2013 - 12:51 AM in General Discussion

Andy,

You can use a single pole double pole switch. The center contact goes to the coil (other side to ground).

uC-----o o----- pwr supply

spdt switch

o

coil

Chuck

#37975 Grove-Base Shield and Relay Netduino Plus/Arduino

Posted by carb on 25 October 2012 - 10:05 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Developing relay that is controlled via buttons on website. I notice that relay was ON for Netduino Plus board and it was off for the ardiuno (EtherTen). I am using a Grove Relay that plugs into the Grove-Base shield. Apparently the Netduino Plust I/O pins set to high (3.3V) is there a way to set them to low(turn them off)?

Aberkley,

How do you have the initial pin state? Is it set to false.

Dim led As New OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D5, False)

That is for Visual Basic but it similar for C#.

The Netduino may boot with the pin positive but once booted should go to the initial state very quickly. If it doesn't you may be able to add a pull down resistor.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Chuck

#37988 Grove-Base Shield and Relay Netduino Plus/Arduino

Posted by carb on 26 October 2012 - 05:16 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I do not set the initial pin state. The netduino probably does boot with the pin positive and they stay positive. I believe that it is a software issue I probably need to change a setting in the firmware.

Thank you for the suggestion

Aberkley,

Netduinos use the Digital ports in almost every application.

I wrote the following code to test it on my Netduino classic and it worked fine. With a voltmeter I had 3 milli volts when the button was NOT pushed, 3.3 vdc when the Onboard button is pressed.

using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino;

namespace Digital_Pin_Test
{
  public class Program
  {
    static OutputPort D1 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D1, false);
    static InputPort Button = new InputPort(Pins.ONBOARD_SW1, false,Port.ResistorMode.Disabled);

public static void Main()
    {
      while (true)
      {
        D1.Write(Button.Read());
      }
    }
  }
}
For Visual Basic use:
Imports System
Imports System.Threading
Imports Microsoft.SPOT
Imports Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware
Imports SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware
Imports SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino

Namespace Digital_Pin_Test
  Public Class Program
    Shared D1 As New OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D1, False)
    Shared Button As New InputPort(Pins.ONBOARD_SW1, False, Port.ResistorMode.Disabled)

Public Shared Sub Main()
      While True
	D1.Write(Button.Read())
      End While
    End Sub
  End Class
End Namespace
Good Luck,
Chuck

#40175 Netduino Plus 2

Posted by carb on 25 November 2012 - 07:20 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hello,

I would like to buy the Netduino Plus 2. But I saw that the maximum Voltage on the barrel jacket ist up to 9V. The netduino plus has 12V. How can I supply it over the battery ? I would like to use Baby size. So I need 7 cells (7x1.2 =8.4V). Can I use this or is where a danger with overvoltage because the batteries have voltage fluctuations. Has anybody expierence with this ?

Bernd,

The Netduino Plus 2 can use 12vdc to the barrel connector, but using 9vdc reduces the power that the regulator must dump. This is not a problem if the current through the regulator is reasonable, but if you are near maximum current draw for the regulator you can overheat it. At 9vdc the temperature will be less for a given current.

This question was answered here on one of the thread if you want more detail.

Chuck

#41068 Need 12v monitoring

Posted by carb on 06 December 2012 - 01:26 AM in General Discussion

Thanks Ckuck.

I'm not sure it is 12 or 24 volt. I'll check with multimeter.

Also; how can i simulate the pressing the button?

You read the voltage between the 2 resistors and ground (make sure that you are across the 10K ohm resistor or the low value of the voltage divider, across 1 resistor is 21.6 vdc the other 2.4 vdc). I reccommend reading the voltage with a voltmeter before connecting the Netduino so as not to apply more than 3.3 vdc.

If you use a digital input when the io is false or for an analog when it reads 0 or < 0.05.

Chuck

#41286 Control Large Led matrix

Posted by carb on 09 December 2012 - 10:25 PM in General Discussion

Hi,

Thank you for this information.
Could you please send me any reference on how to construct the circuit or circuit diagram for netduino plus to control the 10X50 matrix.
Please give complete instructions or details of the shift register or any components used in the circuit.
I have the data for each led whether to be turned on or off in a byte array in code.
based on this data the led should glow.

Thanks in advance.

Srinivas

Govind,

Welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of people on the forum that will try to help you, but I would suggest the following:

• Almost all help here on the forum is volunteered.
  • Most of what you are looking for is already posted on the forum or in the Wiki pages of this forum.
  • Please search and get what information you can find first, then ask specific questions on what you can't figure out.
  • You google to help find code samples and data sheets of parts you think may work and attach to you requests for help (keeps other from having to repeat searches).
  • Look in some of the toolboxes and blogs of the forum members.

When you get a good idea of what you really want to do provide as much information as you can. That way you will get the answers that you need.

Please be patient when waiting, give at least a full day before trying to repeat the question. Remember our members live literly all over the world and it may 5:00 in the afternoon for you but it is 3:00 in the morning for them.

Good Luck with the project.
Chuck

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.