Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino 2 Plus loses firmware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mcdonnej

mcdonnej

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Copying from the Netduino 2 Plus 4.2.2 firmware thread--looks like it might have been missed there, and seems like it might be misplaced there, anyway.

Tried flashing with 4.3 beta 1; it went smoothly, and the first time I started debugging, the program deployed without incident from Visual C# 2012.  The second time I deploy, Visual Studio gives, "There were deployment errors--continue?"  The output window shows "cannot attach debugger engine."  After answering "No" to "Continue?" the error list shows "unable to connect to device."  Curious, I ran MFDeploy; it says there is "No debugger!" found and "Cannot find any entrypoint," although the Device Capabilities info all seems to say 4.3.0.0 (beta 1).  The program I initially deployed is identified by name in MFDeploy.  The IP address shows as 0.0.0.0, if that matters.

I erased and re-flashed with 4.3 beta 1 to verify it wasn't a one-time event.  Same results.  As I recall, this is the same thing that happened with 4.2--it seemed to work the first time from Visual C# 2010, but didn't after that.

Am I missing something obvious, or have we reached RMA stage?

Thanks,

John Mc

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hi John, Given the info above, it looks like there's a Visual Studio->driver issue haunting your computer. Hmm. Do you have another PC by any chance? I'd recommend loading VS2010 Express on that PC with the Netduino 4.2 production SDK and then erase and reflash your Netduino Plus 2 using STDFU Tester (erase) and DFUSE (flash) on that PC. If you still can't deploy an app to your board then we'd love to take a look at your board. If you can talk to it but can't flash it...it was either flashed wrong or there is something really bizarrely wrong with the board that we'd like to investigate. In any case, you'll want to start with production firmware...and then move to beta firmware if you'd like once you're up and running BTW, what app are you deploying? Is it a single-line Debug.Print app? Blinky? Does it wait forever--or just exit immediately? Also, what OS are you using? Sorry for the adventure here :) Chris

#3 mcdonnej

mcdonnej

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

It took a little longer to get back to this than I'd anticipated...it seems the problem was Netduino versus NetduinoPlus using directive and reference.

Grabbed my old PC and completely rebuilt it from a bare hard drive to WinXP SP3 and Visual Studio C# 2010 with the MicroFramework 4.2, the Netduino 4.2.2 SDK.  (The bad news here is that my Win7 disc has gone missing, but that's a different problem...)  Created a NEW NetduinoPlus2 application, and was able to make the LED blink consistently.

Then copied the code over from the larger "problem" project into the new project; again the board worked.

Next, loaded the entire problem project copied over from my main computer; it immediately locked up the board.  Tried this 3 times to be sure I wasn't doing something different each time.  By "locked up" I mean that it won't even answer an MFDeploy ping.  (I'm also becoming quite proficient at erasing and flashing the firmware...)

I finally noticed that the new NetduinoPlus2 application actually adds "using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino;" NOT "NetduinoPlus."  Tried changing out both directives and references--with just a Blinky routine, either one works.  With something more complicated, using NetduinoPlus and its reference locks the board immediately; the only solution seems to be reflashing.

Ultimately, this seems odd, since it's a Netduino 2 Plus, not a Netduino 2.  Does it make sense to you?

The project that fails has the following using directives:

System;

System.Net;

System.Net.Sockets;

System.Net.Threading;

Microsoft.SPOT;

Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;

SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;

SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino (or NetduinoPlus);

System.IO.Ports;

System.Collections;

The next logical step seemed to be figuring out which using directives/references are causing the issue, but it occurred to me you might be able to tell at a glance. 

I also couldn't tell if there was a reason to use the .dll in the base Assembliesv4.2 directory or the le directory; they seemed to be the same file.  Without a reason to do otherwise, I stuck with the base directory version.

Very curious about whether the using directives/references solution makes sense, but very glad the board is working!

Thanks,

John Mc

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hi John, With the gen2 boards, we've standardized all of the assembly includes. So just include "SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino.dll" in any Netduino gen2 project...and it will automatically map pins to the correct place. The ...NetduinoPlus.dll assembly should also map properly under 4.2--but it is possible that support isn't complete there in the 4.3 release. The ...NetduinoPlus.dll assembly is really targeted to the original Netduino Plus 1. Regarding the erasure of firmware...when you deploy an app, the previous app is first erased. So the messages you're seeing basically meant "app erased...but there was some mismatch and I couldn't flash the new one." Does that make sense? Glad you're back up and running; please let us know if you run into any other troubles, Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.