Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Lots of Serial

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Genious

Genious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Hi all, Thinking of doing a simple GPS project with the netduino. Usual sort of thing with GPS module, LCD display and a data logger. Was thinking of using the OpenLog logger from Sparkfun as it's cheap and very simple to use. I know the Netduino plus has an SD card available, but not sure when I can get one... Anyway, the problem is that GPS, Serial and LCD are all driven over serial. I'd prefer not to have to use a multiplexer or anything like that. Is it possible to do "software" serial on the Netduino - i.e. use some digital IO pins to bit-bash serial data? If so... How can it be done? Is there a limit to the number of software serial ports that can be used at a time? Cheers!

#2 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

I'm working on something similar that uses a serial LCD, a serial GPS and an SD card. The standard Netduino has enough serial ports for me, but not if I move it over to the Netduino Mini as planned.

I've not actually tried it yet, but was considering setting the LCD (output only) and GPS (input only) to the same baud rate and letting them share a serial port.

My current setup (on the standard netduino) is one serial port for the LCD, one for the GPS and SPI for the SD card. All working fine this way. I'll post some photos and code when I get the chance, but the project's currently with a friend who's doing the "physical" hardware side of things.

#3 Genious

Genious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Using one port for two devices is a very good idea. Thanks for that! Just read through your linked thread - I'm also thinking about a sort-of-reverse-geocache project, but I also want to add a bit of logging so that I can see the route the box took to the destination.

#4 Charles

Charles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:33 AM

I know the Netduino plus has an SD card available, but not sure when I can get one...

If you're placing an order from SparkFun, they actually sell some. Here's a 1GB one:

1GB MicroSD at SparkFun

When you first get it, don't be deceived - The MicroSD card ships stuck in the end of an adapter to standard SD and it is not obvious that there are two items there when looking sat the unopened package.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.